Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know what other Solstice owners are experiencing with engine temp. I notice that the driver and passenger foot compartments have a lot of heat coming off them. I presume it is from the motor as it is right there.
While is was in stop and go traffic today for about five minutes I noticed the engine temp on my DIC display reach 210 degrees F. To prove the electric fan is working, I parked in my garage and let it idle. It quickly rose to 213 degress F before the electric fan kicked on. The temp then dropped to 196 degrees F.
In normal driving it is usually around 190 degrees F.
Is anybody else noticing the heat coming into the passenger and driver foot compartments and what is the normal operating temperature supposed to be?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I notice the same thing in my Sunfire, maybe a design decision to vent excess heat?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can more then likely get an engine temp sensor replacement that will kick the fan on at a lower temp then what comes stock. Look for what's currently out for the other 2.4L VVT ECOTEC cars and the 2.2L ECOTEC. They might be interchangeable as is. My ZX2 had options like that, you could change the 210 F temp to 190 F or 170 F. It just turns the fan on sooner to start cooling the engine bay quicker.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I notice that the driver and passenger foot compartments have a lot of heat coming off them. I presume it is from the motor as it is right there.
Yep, same thing with Miatas. Heat from the Cat/exhaust and heat from the transmission.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone else please input on this. Poor insulation between engine compartment/transmission and passenger compartment may be an issue for me as I spend time in stop and go traffic every day and the afternoon rush for much of the year is well above 100 degrees. I really don't want toasty tootsies.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
Anyone else please input on this. Poor insulation between engine compartment/transmission and passenger compartment may be an issue for me as I spend time in stop and go traffic every day and the afternoon rush for much of the year is well above 100 degrees. I really don't want toasty tootsies.
Well, assuming the AC is like other GM AC units, you can direct cold air to the feet. I do that in my Trailblazer just because I've always had warm feet. ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
I really don't want toasty tootsies.
Air conditioning ON, low vents. Works for those really hot days when traffic is a pain.

Welcome to roadsters.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks, Glad to hear there are low vents to direct down there. :cool:

Probably a stupid post now that I think of it. I guess I'm a little too used to the low vents on my Wrangler blowing at my kneecaps. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I wanted to know what other Solstice owners are experiencing with engine temp. I notice that the driver and passenger foot compartments have a lot of heat coming off them. I presume it is from the motor as it is right there.
While is was in stop and go traffic today for about five minutes I noticed the engine temp on my DIC display reach 210 degrees F. To prove the electric fan is working, I parked in my garage and let it idle. It quickly rose to 213 degress F before the electric fan kicked on. The temp then dropped to 196 degrees F.
In normal driving it is usually around 190 degrees F.
Is anybody else noticing the heat coming into the passenger and driver foot compartments and what is the normal operating temperature supposed to be?
YES!!!
Exactly the same...
I too, was a little worried..when it hovered around 214 in stop and go..
Maybe do the tight tollerances, ( engine only 200 miles... so far)

But when going around 10 mph, it lowered quickly to 195-200...

It seems normal...

Frnak

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's around where mine's been sitting at after it's warmed up.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sounds like we have a 190-degree thermostat

Sounds like the car is equipped with a 190-degree thermostat, and the fans kick on at around 210-215 degrees. Seems normal to me. If you decide to go to a FI setup, you might consider a colder thermostat and switch, otherwise, it's OK.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most likely a thin firewall is causing the heat at the feet. But rest asure, the engine isn't over heating. It's not over heating until it reaches about 250. However, you can probably get a 160 thermostat for it from hypertech or maybe even Gravana and that should take care of it for the most part.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Magnezium said:
Most likely a thin firewall is causing the heat at the feet. But rest asure, the engine isn't over heating. It's not over heating until it reaches about 250. However, you can probably get a 160 thermostat for it from hypertech or maybe even Gravana and that should take care of it for the most part.
I don't know that I would go that low, engine is designed to run in a certain range, low is as bad as high.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Critterman said:
I don't know that I would go that low, engine is designed to run in a certain range, low is as bad as high.
Yes, that's true, but when have you ever put a 160 in and it actually ran at 160. It more often will run at 180-190 with the fans kicking in at 160. Believe me, it's going to run fine there. If they put in a 190, and the car runs just fine in the morning when it's still warming up to 190, there wont be a problem. The intake will draw in cooler air, and there should be less detonation/ping. The 190 will have it running around 210, and a 160 is only 30 degrees back (even though the engine will run more like 20 less instead of 30). You can only cool the engine so much (depending on where you live), so having the fans kick on sooner is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
temperature

Seems when I am at a stoplight in slow traffic, the temp can climb up to 10 degrees Celcius.
I don't recall my other cars with a needle guage making that much of a swing in temp. Maybe because this is digital and giving me the exact readings.

·
Registered
527 Posts
General rule of thumb for GTP's is use a 180 thermostat if you live in the northern states and a 160 thermostat if you live in the southern states. Of course, that's an iron block engine and the aluminum ecotec may respond in a much different manner.

·
Registered
363 Posts
brentil said:
You can more then likely get an engine temp sensor replacement that will kick the fan on at a lower temp then what comes stock. Look for what's currently out for the other 2.4L VVT ECOTEC cars and the 2.2L ECOTEC. They might be interchangeable as is. My ZX2 had options like that, you could change the 210 F temp to 190 F or 170 F. It just turns the fan on sooner to start cooling the engine bay quicker.
Yeah, I have the same issue when my girl wants to work on any of my cars. I get real HOT.......... :yesnod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts