Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
for those who don't know quick summary I own a 2008 GXP. Was driving it today, driving it hard as usual, I bought it to drive it hard, not overly hard in my opinion, punched it and while he was accelerating I think though not sure I heard a pop of some sort, at least it sounded like that, again not certain because of all the noise going on, top-down and all that, felt immediate power loss, thought maybe it was something that just needed to be coughed up for whatever, so I went to punch it again, the engine sounded okay, but there was dramatic loss in power, could not get the car to accelerate much at all, it took a while but an engine light did come on, brought her home to my brother who is much more knowledgeable than I, he said he thinks he can hear the turbo turn on, when I step on it in neutral, when stepping on it in neutral the engine would only rev to 4000 RPM and not more, engine sounds sound, I don't think the engine is blown or anything, but what I know, it only has 15,000 miles on it, bought it from a dealer in Georgia, I'm in New York, I will of course will call the dealer, though I don't think they will do anything, there was no warranty given, any thoughts or input at this point extremely appreciative.

Meanwhile after discussing with my brother decided to bring it to local GM dealer tomorrow as opposed to a local shop, yes probably more expensive, but, I'm hoping that I can somehow still get it covered under warranty since the low miles, I don't think so, but maybe. Anybody know?

Hopefully this is not a major thing. Then again as my brother said this could be something not good, in a big way.

Highly disappointing that a car I fell in love with has had a issue like this pop up with only a couple hundred miles on. But, things happen and will deal with it in get it fixed one way or the other.

While at the Chevy dealer, I will engage them now directly about doing the GM tune with them as well, though of course getting it fixed first is priority. so far they and all other dealerships have been refusing to do the tune.

Have been waiting on doing the bracket kit for underneath, have not done it yet, will not have a GM dealer do it as it's too expensive there, we'll bring it to a local shop, I cannot do it as a not mechanically inclined, though it seems that after the repair, the tune if I can get it done, and the brace kit, lots of money about to be spent.

And I'm also considering updating the tires as I feel when I go hard and heavy the tires are just not giving enough support. I don't have the numbers of the tires offhand, I will post them when I get a chance. More money.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
They are not going to do it under warranty.

Open the hood, and look at the silver tube that runs from near the radiator to the driver side of the engine. It sounds like the charge tube clamp has come loose. You will be able to see it most likely. You should be able to slide it back in after undoing the clamp. If it is down by the radiator, it is a little harder. DDM offers a clamp system that is better, I would consider investing in them if that is the problem.

Your GM dealer does not sound like the best idea. They do not want to work on the car as it is out of warranty and no one there is familiar with it, it sounds like. There should be someone on the board that could recommend a good dealer near you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not going to do it under warranty.

Open the hood, and look at the silver tube that runs from near the radiator to the driver side of the engine. It sounds like the charge tube clamp has come loose. You will be able to see it most likely. You should be able to slide it back in after undoing the clamp. If it is down by the radiator, it is a little harder. DDM offers a clamp system that is better, I would consider investing in them if that is the problem.

Your GM dealer does not sound like the best idea. They do not want to work on the car as it is out of warranty and no one there is familiar with it, it sounds like. There should be someone on the board that could recommend a good dealer near you.
I will take a look and feedback here
Thank you

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked, I think I see the tube you mentioned, googled it, and I see what it looks like, feels ok, though not sure it is ok or that I am even looking at the right tube

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
What is the CEL code? As far as 4k on the rpm in neutral, that's normal. It's called protection (rev limiter. on most cars its 3k!!). You don't want your motor free revving to 6k at idle with no resistance, that's a bad thing. Bad things happen to motors that free rev that high!! All cars since about 2000 have this built in. My guess is that a boost hose came loose. Check from the turbo to the IC. Then from the IC to the intake. There is a "hard to reach" elbow just under the intake manifold. Make sure all those clamps are tight.

Reactions: MischievousGuru

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the CEL code? As far as 4k on the rpm in neutral, that's normal. It's called protection (rev limiter. on most cars its 3k!!). You don't want your motor free revving to 6k at idle with no resistance, that's a bad thing. Bad things happen to motors that free rev that high!! All cars since about 2000 have this built in. My guess is that a boost hose came loose. Check from the turbo to the IC. Then from the IC to the intake. There is a "hard to reach" elbow just under the intake manifold. Make sure all those clamps are tight.
That helps, will check later again. May save trip and expense of shop repair, hope so.
Will feedback.

CEL code? Did I accidentally write that? Do not know what it is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light

You indicated it came on. Have the car scanned to see what the code is. Once this is known, the knowledgeable GXP owners can likely point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CEL = Check Engine Light

You indicated it came on. Have the car scanned to see what the code is. Once this is known, the knowledgeable GXP owners can likely point you in the right direction.
good idea but my brother who is a pseudo-mechanic had no idea what was wrong, we don't have the ability to do what you say, that would be excellent if we could, so it was brought to the shop, hopefully should be repaired tomorrow unless something very bad is wrong. I will feedback once the car is fixed what was wrong, how much to fix, etc.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Also, high boost pressure has resulted in the intercooler ballooning, which means it expands until it cracks. I'm not saying this is your issue but it's something any turbo owner should be aware of. It's also one one reason people buy upgraded aftermarket intercoolers. Generally speaking, the OEM intercooler can handle the stock boost along w/the higher boost from the GMPP (tune which was warranted by GM) But at the very least you may also want to upgrade to t-bolts clamps if you plan to drive aggressively a lot. Solstice/Sky T-bolt Clamp, 2.0L by DDMWorks

Top pic ballooned intercooler, bottom pic OEM replacement intercooler. Just note some cracked intercoolers can be quite subtly. Again, not your issue, just something to be aware of w/a turbo car.

Photo courtesy of the Skyroadster forum.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, high boost pressure has resulted in the intercooler ballooning, which means it expands until it cracks. I'm not saying this is your issue but it's something any turbo owner should be aware of. It's also one one reason people buy upgraded aftermarket intercoolers. Generally speaking, the OEM intercooler can handle the stock boost along w/the higher boost from the GMPP (tune which was warranted by GM) But at the very least you may also want to upgrade to t-bolts clamps if you plan to drive aggressively a lot. Solstice/Sky T-bolt Clamp, 2.0L by DDMWorks

Top pic ballooned intercooler, bottom pic OEM replacement intercooler. Just note some cracked intercoolers can be quite subtly. Again, not your issue, just something to be aware of w/a turbo car.

Photo courtesy of the Skyroadster forum.
this is a very good idea. I think I will do this. I do ride the car very hard pretty much as much as possible, when I feel there were no cops around, and of course safety first, when I feel it's safe, though I do legal work for the police force, so getting pulled over well I think you could fill in the rest, it would be highly unlikely and speaking from past experience as well that one of my pseudo-fellow comrades would ticket me. maybe it's unfair, but, it is what it is, and I'll take it.

Update: the car is back from the shop. Very good people. Very knowledgeable. They said two clamps had come loose. I did not fully understand off of what the clamps became loose off of, and it was chaos going on, good chaos, as my sister was there and everybody is friends from the boating world as well, so unfortunately I don't have more information, but it seems as if you guys pretty much had it figured out. By the way, the guy was so nice he did not even charge me a penny for it.

I am only feeding back what he said, I am not saying I agree, and I'm not saying he's right. I printed out pretty much everything you guys said about doing the tuneup upgrade and he vehemently recommended against it. He said unless I plan on racing the car it is not worth the headaches that it is going to produce. That people who get this stuff done always needing to tweak it. He knows I'm not mechanical. He said am looking for a nightmare. Etc. Again I'm only reporting what was said to be by this mechanic who owns the shop, I am not saying that he is correct or anything else. Just FYI.

Then I asked him about the brace kit. he pretty much said the same thing about if you're not going to race you will not really notice a difference and it's not worth the money, and he did point out that he was turning down all this work and losing money thereby, because he can do the work the brace kit and the tune. However obviously the brace kit would not cause future trouble so he would gladly do it. He just said the car is fine as is, a very nice performing car, and save my money. Again I am not saying he's correct, I'm just reporting what the guy said.

so I'm going to filter through all of these threads and figure out what I'm going to do. I definitely am going to do some upgrades, minimally, maybe all of them, the bottom line at this point is that the GM tune is not available to me. The other ones as I've made clear all along spook me. This guy have known for 20 years putting this in my head that it could lead to trouble has only reinforced my reticence to go forward with a non-GM tune.

I think I will do the brace kit no matter what. What the heck. It only helps in manageability and even safety. I probably will replace the tires with the highest quality possible gripping tires. Again safety and performance. And I think a lot of other updates can be done other than the tune that will add horsepower and a little more oomph without necessitating making an alteration that maybe is really not a good idea for somebody like me who cannot go under the hood and do anything at all.

We'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe I ever updated this thread so: it turned out that two hoses or whatever they may be, I don't have the terminology down yet, came loose underneath, the local shop tightened them, did not even charge me, really nice guys and good friends, I bought them all ice cream, they lit up like Christmas trees when a so the tray of ice cream cones, the car has run perfectly ever since.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I don't disagree with your mechanics comments. How you (or anyone else) modifies their car is a personal decision. The GXP is a perfectly adequate car on the street in stock form BUT there are those of us who want a little more - HP, handling, sound, looks, etc and for this reason you can see in this forum all types of modifications. The GXP is pretty reliable in stock form and only you can decide how far you want to push the mods. My personal decision has been to not modify the engine because that always means a tune if you want more HP. I have added the brace bundle, and DDM short throw shifter as well as some internal and external sound mods (exhaust and speakers). The one mod that I like the most is the lumbar support. There are also a few cosmetic changes. So think it through, make YOUR mods and enjoy it because that's really what it is all about. OH yes, don't be so concerned about not knowing much (or anything) about these cars. We all start not knowing very much and we are all fortunate that there are people on this forum who have learned so much and are willing to share it with us. It's all about the fun!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
"The one mod that I like the most is the lumbar support." RMarion I totally agree on that. Helps out so much when we go on long trips. Wife wants me to put one on her side. That may be my winter project. :agree:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't disagree with your mechanics comments. How you (or anyone else) modifies their car is a personal decision. The GXP is a perfectly adequate car on the street in stock form BUT there are those of us who want a little more - HP, handling, sound, looks, etc and for this reason you can see in this forum all types of modifications. The GXP is pretty reliable in stock form and only you can decide how far you want to push the mods. My personal decision has been to not modify the engine because that always means a tune if you want more HP. I have added the brace bundle, and DDM short throw shifter as well as some internal and external sound mods (exhaust and speakers). The one mod that I like the most is the lumbar support. There are also a few cosmetic changes. So think it through, make YOUR mods and enjoy it because that's really what it is all about. OH yes, don't be so concerned about not knowing much (or anything) about these cars. We all start not knowing very much and we are all fortunate that there are people on this forum who have learned so much and are willing to share it with us. It's all about the fun!
excellent comments all around. The lumbar support: masked please please wear did you get this? my back is not great, and this would possibly help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
same problem has arisen, I was driving the car hard, heard a pop of air I believe of some sort, believe it is the same problem I described in the original post of this thread, to bring to memory I am stepping on the pedal now after the pop and getting no power, after the first time this happened I brought it to a shop and they said to clamps still unknown to me had come loose on something, they never told me exactly what Mitt was, I never bothered to ask, somebody in this thread had mentioned some people with these cars get stronger clamps, since this now seems to be a recurring problem, can I assume if I don't get the stronger clamps or whatever they are that this shall continue to happen? where does one get these clamps? It seems a bit odd to me that GM would make the car such that a problem like this we continue to happen. Am I the only one? Yes I am driving the car hard, however it seems to me that's the whole point. Frustrating. Monday the car goes back to the shop at least to temporarily have the GM clamps put back on. You guys have directed me perfectly so far, once again I ask please for help in making a decision on how to solve this recurring issue. My driving habits are not going to change. If anything they're going to get more hard. So might as well deal with this now. Thank goodness this has happened both times close to home. I plan on taking long trips and if that happens on a long trip I assume I can just drive the car home with no damage to the engine? I did have the GM tune in. Does that affect getting it repaired? I am bringing it to a local shop, the local shop did not do the GM tune. I do not want to have to bring it back to the GM dealership that did tune because they charge a lot of money, and for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion I do not want to bring it back to that particular dealership.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts