Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always use European 95 octane (which would be same as US 90.7) because over here that is the lowest available.

Would that be considered premium, as mentioned in the RPM Motorsports tune description ? Is a bit lower, but could I get away with it ?

Perhaps I can install the tune without the need to get the more expensive European 98 octane (which would be same as US 93.5)

Solstice / SKY 2.4L LE5 Stage 1 Tune
Cooling Fans set to 205F
Fan speed increase for more rapid cooling.
Speed Limiter Removed
Mass Air Flow sensor calibrated for most cold air intakes on the market.
Power Enrichment delay removed to allow for more immediate Full-Throttle response
Air Fuel Ratio adjusted for better performance.
Timing Calibrated for Premium Grade Fuel. (91+ octane).
Low end torque and fuel economy improved by adjusted timing
Spike at ~4,000rpms less severe due to a more linear power curve
Top end timing advanced 2-3 degrees for better peak horsepower
RPM Limiter increased in manuals to allow for more aggressive full throttle shifts
Torque Management (granny controls) removed to prevent computers from reducing torque output below 3,000 RPMs
Typical gains: 8-12HP and 12-18lbs of TQ
*NEW* Automatic Transmission equipped cars now have Full Throttle Shift points raised to 6,750 RPM.
*NEW* Automatic Transmission shift time reduced by 0.25 seconds per gear change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't remember what country you are in, but if you generally have cooler weather and/or live at elevation you are probably totally safe.

The best way to do it would be to get something so you can data log (such as the Torque app and a bluetooth dongle) and watch for knock retard. Fill up with 95 then go for a "spirited" drive on a hot day and watch for knock retard. Go through most of that tank of gas and then fill up with 98 and try it again. If you are getting no knock retard then you know you are losing performance by running the lower octane fuel.

I don't know how you use your car, but if it's daily driver and you spend most of your time driving normally, then fill it with the 95 daily and fill with 98 when you are going to be doing more enthusiastic driving.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
when ddmworks tuned my car, he said 91 or 93 (USA) octane would work...

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
On a NA car with a tune the 90.7/91 should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't remember what country you are in, but if you generally have cooler weather and/or live at elevation you are probably totally safe. . . . . . .
Cooler sea-climate and often below sea level :)

Thanks for the good suggestions on the monitoring app (I use Ultragauge Blue) and the possibility to use 2 different kind of fuels.

On a NA car with a tune the 90.7/91 should be fine.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
It will probably work for you with an NA and if you do have ping the ECM should kick back the timing. Problem is that you'd need to hook up to the car to know that your timing was retarding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts