Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2.4L NA Solstices. Engine in the AZ car is smooth as silk at all rpms at 28,000 miles.
Engine in the OH car shakes the whole car at 2500 - 2600 rpm. Only 8000 miles.
Questions to the longer term owners - Is there an external component (AC, generator, etc.) that could be causing this? (I hope) or is it likely to be something internal? Can the balance shaft somehow get out of sync? Any ideas appreciated, although I will not be able to do anything about it until May.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
My guess is that a balance shaft has gone awry, there are two of them as well as the water pump on the same chain. Only 8000 miles on the engine? Did I read that correctly?

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,348 Posts
You may also want to look at the motor mounts and see if one or both of them have sprung a leak.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is that a balance shaft has gone awry, there are two of them as well as the water pump on the same chain. Only 8000 miles on the engine? Did I read that correctly?

:dunno:

Yes, my summer coupe was purchased July 2017 with under 5000 miles. I put on 3000+ before I garaged it for winter.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may also want to look at the motor mounts and see if one or both of them have sprung a leak.
This fits with the Magnaflow having to be tweaked to eliminate vibrating against the backbone.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
One thing I do every spring before I break out the car for summer driving is to spray everything underneath with WD 40 and then wipe down any excess . This keeps all my metal parts from developing any type of corrosion ,lubricates so I don't have any annoying squeaks and keeps my rubber components from developing dry rot I've been doing this religiously since I purchased the car and other than the axle shafts , which I'm going to paint this spring my car looks as nice as the day it left the factory .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts