Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this helps someone else out. Had a rather unique problem when noticed a vibration at 950-1100 rpm. It morphed into a drone-like humming at higher rpms. Could feel it through the pedals and shift lever although the power was still there.

Took it to Bellevue Cadillac who told me the diagnostic check showed no codes and the vibration was a "normal" condition for this car. Now I have put 62K on this car and it is NOT normal, so I insisted in taking the mech for a ride. He agreed with me and tore into the engine. One week later they tell me the vibration was caused from a broken balancer shift tensioner shoe that caused a loose balancer chain that resulted in skipping a tooth.

So, after replacing the parts and resetting the shaft timing and cam timing the car runs perfectly again. Can't say enough for the mechanic and Bellevue, Washington Cadillac. Best of all, it was covered under warranty! :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hope this helps someone else out. Had a rather unique problem when noticed a vibration at 950-1100 rpm. It morphed into a drone-like humming at higher rpms. Could feel it through the pedals and shift lever although the power was still there.

Took it to Bellevue Cadillac who told me the diagnostic check showed no codes and the vibration was a "normal" condition for this car. Now I have put 62K on this car and it is NOT normal, so I insisted in taking the mech for a ride. He agreed with me and tore into the engine. One week later they tell me the vibration was caused from a broken balancer shift tensioner shoe that caused a loose balancer chain that resulted in skipping a tooth.

So, after replacing the parts and resetting the shaft timing and cam timing the car runs perfectly again. Can't say enough for the mechanic and Bellevue, Washington Cadillac. Best of all, it was covered under warranty! :)
I am glad that you had a great experience at the dealer and that your vehicle is back running perfectly. Remember that you can always send me a private message any time you need assistance with your vehicle.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick follow-up: I made this post because while trying to figure out what the problem was I read the thread by Red Devil that seemed to discuss the same issue; that being a vibration or shudder at low rpm. After reading his frustrations in diagnosing the problem I was afraid I would have to go down the same road.

The Pontiac dealer I bought the car in Kirkland from sold a ton of Solstices (2 to me) and the service tech is now at Bellevue Cadillac and handled my issue. He also states he has never seen this problem before. Maybe Red Devil or others with a low rpm shudder should consider investigating the balancer chain.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

My car never had the vibration at higher RPMs and i never felt it through my pedals. Mine is gone now. Was definitely due to to much carbon build up with my car.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Interesting. I usually go up to Kirkland, but only cuz it was a former Pontiac dealer. I assume Bellevue Cadillac is on 112th there?

You ever see my black coupe around? If so, flag me down. I live in Lake Hills near the library and work on Microsoft main campus

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
PlanB, have you considered sending a letter (email) to the dealership telling the what great service you got through their shop? It's always appreciated and it'll likely pay off in even better service in the future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Liquid PT: We met years ago at Crossroads QFC when I had a Silver NA. Yes, Bellevue Cad is next to the Chev dealer on 112th.

@Sly Bob: Already sent a nice email plus a telephone call praising the service tech and the mech. They already replaced the water pump a couple of months ago under warranty so are familiar with the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another bad balance shaft chain guide - broke in two

Hey, just wanted to add that I just experienced this problem on my 08 GXP engine too. "Lower Left" balance shaft chain guide (the one the tensioner pushes on) broke in half. Not sure why.

My car would have very bad vibration starting about 2k rpm and up. At idle it wasn't that noticeable. Here's what really had me guessing, the vibration would come and go - it would be there for 2-5 days, then go away for 1-3 days, then back again. This was due to the balance shaft occasionally jumping teeth, and then back again. I drove it this way for prob 500mi. The reason I didn't investigate sooner was that I had just swapped this replacement motor into the car along with replacing the engine mounts. When the engine vibrated on new mounts I put the old ones back in and wallah, no vibration - though I now know this was just coincidence. Anyway, I'll be happy to get this thing back together and running smooth.

BTW, engine has 50k miles on it.

-J

·
Vendor
1,393 Posts
We have been seeing these guides failing more and more now when we are tearing down engines for rebuilds. The strangest thing we have seen though is a a 2.0L come in with about 200K miles and it had 2 guides broke, but was actually running just fine.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have been seeing these guides failing more and more now when we are tearing down engines for rebuilds. The strangest thing we have seen though is a a 2.0L come in with about 200K miles and it had 2 guides broke, but was actually running just fine.
Crap, hate to hear that. I just bought another GM brand one ($5.62). Do you know of a more trusted brand? All I could find was a CLOYES 95384 ($9).

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Scratch that, gmpartsdirect.com wanted 1 week to just round up the parts, then another to ship. rockauto got the order, looks like I'm going with Cloyes tensioner guide.

-J

·
Registered
333 Posts
It will be fine. Cloyes makes good parts.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Well....I guess this is now my issue as well.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well....I guess this is now my issue as well.....
I just got 07 GXP from the shop where they replaced the battery. Since then, I've been feeling the vibrations mentioned above especially at around 1100RPMs. So much so that my dash now vibrates in resonance and it's quite annoying. Car drives fine otherwise.
Need a ball park of how much the aforementioned tentioners cost to start saving up... :-(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts