Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Are you doing it on your own? About $250. Taking it to the dealer? About $2500...yes $2500. It's not hard, just got a lot of shtuff in the way. On a scale of 1 to 100, 1 being as easy as changing a tire, 100 being rebuilding the motor....I would say 38. Anything under 50 I'll attempt....But that's me. I didn't do this yet as mine comes and goes and I strongly believe it has something to do with my tune.

You need the following Cloyes kits:

9-4201-SA - timing chain, tensioner and guides
9-4202-S - balancer chain, tensioner and guides

Do both the timing chain, guides and tensioner and the balancer chain, guides and tensioner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get nervous anytime "timing chain" is mentioned.
If the timing chain is off in anyway, you've basically destroyed your engine correct?
Thanks SO much for the reply.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Correct. It's a zero tolerance motor. But theres a video and marks on everything. Unless you're completely inept and dont know how to follow directions it's pretty hard to screw it up. But if you're doing the balancer, might as well do the timing as well. But if you cant change your own oil, dont try it. I've done my HPFP and had the top of the motor off so I'm pretty mechanical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks again for the quick reply.
I do in fact change my own oil :).
I'm willing to take on a challenge. You can mentioned there's a guide?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
My issue is that it's a lot of work to get to it. A lot of items have to be moved/removed to get the front cover and I can be "lazy" when it comes to doing stuff like this. Chances are if your balancer has skipped a link, it's just a matter of time for your timing chain to do the same. Although I must say the timing tensioner is a lot more robust then the balancer tensioner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks again for the input. Having it looked at now to see if that's what the issue is likely to be.
Are you aware of any proper 'procedure' for doing this work? As in; is this done enough that there's a guide?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you doing it on your own? About $250. Taking it to the dealer? About $2500...yes $2500. It's not hard, just got a lot of shtuff in the way. On a scale of 1 to 100, 1 being as easy as changing a tire, 100 being rebuilding the motor....I would say 38. Anything under 50 I'll attempt....But that's me. I didn't do this yet as mine comes and goes and I strongly believe it has something to do with my tune.

You need the following Cloyes kits:

9-4201-SA - timing chain, tensioner and guides
9-4202-S - balancer chain, tensioner and guides

Do both the timing chain, guides and tensioner and the balancer chain, guides and tensioner.
Are these parts for the 2.4 or 2.0L?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Are these parts for the 2.4 or 2.0L?
They're for the 2.0L.... There is a video from Cloyes on Youtube....just search timing chain cloyes 2.0L....

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
As far as the guide goes, the Factory Service Manual for these cars is fantastic, and in my opinion invaluable if you plan on doing anything other than basic maintenance to the car.

And (don't laugh), AutoZone.com's repair guide section is pretty good, though often missing pictures. Their text appears to be copied verbatim from the GM manual.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
It's worth noting that the 2.0L and 2.4L use different sprockets.

Here's the Cloyes video:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finally going in deep on this repair.
Got the belt off and working to pull the balancer pully. I understand it is wise to replace the Timing chain but is there any way to replace the timing chain without removing the valve sprockets? I understand those bolts are torque-to-yield which means trying to track down yet another bolt (just found the balancer pully bolt today at a dealership in Spokane. LOL).

As far as the guide goes, the Factory Service Manual for these cars is fantastic, and in my opinion invaluable if you plan on doing anything other than basic maintenance to the car.

And (don't laugh), AutoZone.com's repair guide section is pretty good, though often missing pictures. Their text appears to be copied verbatim from the GM manual.
I can attest to the strength of the official service manual however after spending $400 on it, it is certainly confusing to follow through a full procedure for the price. It is now officially the most expensive dead tree I've ever owned, lol.

Thanks a lot for all your help here. Quite the endeavor for me having only ever rotated tires, replaced spark plugs, and oil filters up to this point. ;-)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I've decided to tackle mine next month before the summer driving season starts. Let me know how it goes!!

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Finally going in deep on this repair.
Got the belt off and working to pull the balancer pully. I understand it is wise to replace the Timing chain but is there any way to replace the timing chain without removing the valve sprockets? I understand those bolts are torque-to-yield which means trying to track down yet another bolt (just found the balancer pully bolt today at a dealership in Spokane. LOL).

I can attest to the strength of the official service manual however after spending $400 on it, it is certainly confusing to follow through a full procedure for the price. It is now officially the most expensive dead tree I've ever owned, lol.

Thanks a lot for all your help here. Quite the endeavor for me having only ever rotated tires, replaced spark plugs, and oil filters up to this point. ;-)
The bolts on the cam sprockets are single use, but they are pretty easy to get and only a couple dollars a piece -

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa boy this is almost more than I can handle, LOL.
According to the official service manual, I must get to the starter motor and install a flywheel lock in order to remove the balance shaft pulley in order to get the timing chain cover off. In order to get to the starter motor, one must remove the intake manifold. In order to get the intake manifold, one must remove the fuel pump line and oil check tube.... and on and on. LOL
I've got the flywheel lock tool and have almost got the intake manifold off - quite the endeavor.
Want to do this right. I know there are ways to remove the balance shaft pulley without getting to the flywheel but I'm trying to do this "by the book" to ensure quality and a solid engine reassembly. I'm also replacing every bolt, washer, and gasket the book recommends replacing so I know there's no issues down the line. I daily this thing so I want it done right, just wish I had someone to hold my hand while I dive into this obviously-German-engineered monster of a machine. lol.
Just thought I'd provide a quick update :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
That doesn't all have to be done. Furthermore, you dont' have to remove the camshaft sprockets to do this unless you're replacing them. They are merely driven by oil pressure and if you've kept your oil changed properly, there should be no issue with them. Many people have removed the crankshaft pulley without any of the steps. Are you doing the timing and balancer chain??? Or something else? My OE instructions don't call for any of that to replace the timing chain and balancer chain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That doesn't all have to be done. Furthermore, you don't have to remove the camshaft sprockets to do this unless you're replacing them. They are merely driven by oil pressure and if you've kept your oil changed properly, there should be no issue with them. Many people have removed the crankshaft pulley without any of the steps. Are you doing the timing and balancer chain??? Or something else? My OE instructions don't call for any of that to replace the timing chain and balancer chain.
Indeed, the Service Manual does show that those items must be removed in order to lock the flywheel to keep the crankshaft from moving in order to remove balancer pulley in order to remove the timing chain cover to replace the Balancer chain and tensioner. LOL!! SO many little items!
I did not see another way to keep the balancer pulley from moving to undo the pulley bolt. I haven't gotten super far yet in removing the intake manifold, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be open for them :)
Thanks so much for the reply :)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
This sounds old school and maybe crazy but I have done it successfully. Pick a cylinder that has just started up on a compression stroke. remove the spark plug and fill the cylinder up with a piece of rope, leaving about six inches hanging out the spark plug hole so that it can be removed later. The crankshaft will definitely be stopped from turning by the cylinder full of rope.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
It is usually possible to put the transmission in fifth gear (manual) or park (auto), set the hand brake, and block the wheels.
That certainly works for a manual if the rear wheels are blocked (or on the ground), but I'm surprised it works for an auto. I'm not very familiar with automatic transmission internals, but considering the engine spins when the car is in park and running... ?

21 - 40 of 86 Posts