Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
No...your's sounds more like drone from your exhaust. You will 'hear' the balancer chain 'slapping' against the guides. It's a very discerning "clicking" noise that's very inconsistent. It's very prevalent if the car sits for a week between starts because the tensioner doesn't have residual, built up tension.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We looked for any signs of exhaust leak or damage to the pipes. I have had the Solo Hi-flo cat and Magnaflow exhaust for a couple of years now with nothing like this happening. The vibration is very palpable in the car (steering wheel, foot pedal, shifter) when it's cold and started for the first time (weekend warrior so it does sit most all week). The vibration is extremely noticeable when I feel of the front cover of the engine. About the only place safe enough to touch the engine's front cover is right around the waterpump cover area. Both Matt and myself can feel the vibrations when the engine is rev'ed. I did hear a slight ticking noise when the engine is in warm-up mode but attributed that to the HPFP. Matt was at a disadvantage (for listening to it during cold start) since I had driven the car up to meet him and all was warmed up.

With every pulse of noise in the video you can feel the vibrations come on then leave as the noise subsides. Matt did re-align the exhaust where the flex connector on the pipe was coming really close to the tunnel (near the tunnel brace) but this didn't solve the problem.

I greatly appreciate the comment but I do feel there is something more substantial taking place.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Enjoyed reading this thread as its still quite a learning learning curve for me. Bing i give you credit for trying to do it yourself & sharing your experience .

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
Try using a listening device. You can buy a mechanic's stethescope, but you can also get good results with a long metal rod or plastic tube. Holding it against various parts of the engine makes it remarkably easy to tell what a noise is, and where it is coming from.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good idea John!

Thanks joybill but the front cover is coming off so all of the chains and guides and tensioners will be replaced

·
Registered
56 Posts
To anybody who has had the balancing chain tensioner break. Does this sound like the vibration/noise you encountered?
http://www.facebook.com/stungjoe/videos/3981533325191937/
I took the car to a guy here in the Dallas area and he looked it over for every conceivable physical cause (engine mounts, harmonic balancer..so forth) and nothing seemed out of sorts. Matt (The Kappa Tech, not sure of screen name on here) and I feel like the next step would be the balancing shaft chain and components but I was looking for some advice based on the video if this is the proper course of action.
Definitely sounds like the balance shaft chains jumped some teeth due to your aforementioned tensioner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No...your's sounds more like drone from your exhaust. You will 'hear' the balancer chain 'slapping' against the guides. It's a very discerning "clicking" noise that's very inconsistent. It's very prevalent if the car sits for a week between starts because the tensioner doesn't have residual, built up tension.
Mine was the balancer chain tensioner and mine also did not make any chain noises whatsoever. The balancer chain is pretty taught as it is and doesn't jump around teach unless the tensioner happens to be broken while also doing something jarring to the driveshaft - like trying to pop the clutch to start your car when the battery dies (as in my case), lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the insights Bing!

After re-reading the OP I feel that I am experiencing the same thing as he and Bing have had. Nonetheless at this point I will proceed with the timing chain route.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just drove the car home. It runs perfectly again! I am very lucky that chain didn't hop off the pulley because it would've, more than likely, taken out the timing chain and ruined the whole engine!

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Matt's a friend and an awesome guy. (And a great & honest mechanic.) Hanging out at the MB shop is also pretty fun. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
[
Was the tensioner itself bad or just the plastic guide itself broken?
The plastic broke and the piston from the tensioner pushed out and the chain was riding on the tip. With Matt's guidance and my desire to have it completely new, he replaced everything; balancer chain, guides and tensioner as well as all of the timing chain components including the solenoids, VVT gears, chain, tensioners and guides.

Parts list for anybody in need:
9-4202SX Cloyes balancer chain kit
9-4201SAVVT2 Cloyes timing chain kit (includes everything needed)
VS50778R Fel-Pro valvecover gasket
TSC46079 Fel-Pro timing cover gasket
11589123 GM harmonic balancer bolt
All parts sourced from Rock Auto

Glad you got it fixed. Matt's a friend and an awesome guy. (And a great & honest mechanic.) Hanging out at the MB shop is also pretty fun. :)
Agreed on all counts!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for giving me to opportunity to work on your baby. I couldn't help but admire the paint while working on it. let me know if you ever want to give HPTuners a try.

And thank you Raygun for the nice words, I hope we can get that clutch sorted sooner than later.

Stay healthy
-Matt The Kappa Tech

·
Registered
56 Posts
May inquire how you kept the camps from jumping while replacing the timing chain?
In my endeavor, I was off by about 10-degrees and had to take her in. Cost about $1200 to have someone else do it.
I hope to never have to pay that kind of money on something I already did ever again. LOL.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
While we are all cooped up for 3 weeks here, should I order the chains and attempt this on my own??? I always have what I refer to as the "one bolt syndrome". Where I can loosen the other 40 bolts, but that 1 just won't budge....hahahaha

61 - 80 of 87 Posts