Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
While we are all cooped up for 3 weeks here, should I order the chains and attempt this on my own??? I always have what I refer to as the "one bolt syndrome". Where I can loosen the other 40 bolts, but that 1 just won't budge....hahahaha
It was for sure an endeavor but if you're well versed and careful, you should be able to do this.
Biggest thing is making sure the cams don't budge and if they do; knowing exactly how the crank and cams align.
It seems like KapaMatt knows what he's doing given he breezed past this with apparently no issues (would love to hear the details fellas).
If you have the tools (breaker bars, torque wrenches), lots of light and LOTS of patience; it isn't impossible, just time-consuming (which we apparently now have in spades...LOL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Biggest thing is making sure the cams don't budge and if they do; knowing exactly how the crank and cams align.
It seems like KapaMatt knows what he's doing given he breezed past this with apparently no issues (would love to hear the details fellas).
Matt doesn't frequent this board but hopefully he will chime in. He is a certified mechanic and definitely knows what he's doing and would more than likely have any tool needed to help things along.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this exact same fix for the exact same problem in my car in the last week, in this thread...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just followed the steps in the cloyes video for getting the crank and cam sprockets properly timed. I'm not sure how you'd end up with it off, because the sprockets only fit on one way, and if you get the colored links properly placed on the sprocket timing marks, you should be all set.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just followed the steps in the cloyes video for getting the crank and cam sprockets properly timed. I'm not sure how you'd end up with it off, because the sprockets only fit on one way, and if you get the colored links properly placed on the sprocket timing marks, you should be all set.
"Should", yes, but the VVT sprockets do move and if the cams aren't locked, there's a chance they'll move out of place in reference to the crankshaft.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
"Should", yes, but the VVT sprockets do move and if the cams aren't locked, there's a chance they'll move out of place in reference to the crankshaft.
I believe that the timing marks are there for correcting that if it happens As @FocsleSwab said, if you align the sprocket timing marks with the marked chain links, the timing will be correct.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe that the timing marks are there for correcting that if it happens As @FocsleSwab said, if you align the sprocket timing marks with the marked chain links, the timing will be correct.
I'll post my videos one of these days and you'll see; they were all on the marks - issue is these are VVT sprockets which will move if the cams aren't locked.
I got close; but after I got her back together is was apparently off by about 10-degrees :-(
I really do appreciate everyone's help here. I don't consider it a loss; definitely learned a lot and am now not afraid to take pretty much anything apart on this car.
You all are awesome! :)

81 - 87 of 87 Posts