Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of you who have received your car, I have a question. What do you think of the high RPM "whine" of the engine? It reminds me of the sound of a Porsche or other high performance, high reving car. The sound is hard to describe, but easy to enjoy. The more I drive my car the happier I am with it. The exhause note is great, the handling is fantastic, the whole experience makes me forget about the previous car I drove. What was it, a Mi...Mi.. Mi.. Miata, that's it. :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I like it. You and I have the same problem , we just cant get over this car! I was just down in my car building removing the overspray it came from the factory with and couldn't help but keep looking at it from all angles and admireing the car.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I remember at the Daytona 24 hour races in the late 60s, the Fords would come by with their 7 liter engines: deep booming roar.

Ferraris would come by with their 3 liter engines: a healthy sound.

And the Porsches with their 2 liter engines: high pitched whine.

As the various cars approached the last turn before the infield, you could see their brake lights come on, and then hear the downshift. But not the Porsches, first the downshift, then the brakes!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is definitely a great engine sound!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The low litter 924/944 sounds just like it too. I still haven't completly mastered it, but sometimes I can get the exhaust sound to be louder then the whine of the engine. I'm perfectly happy with it because it sounds much better then my ZX2's whine or a base Civic whine, and those cars jsut suck for power. Compared to my performance tuend ZX2 S/R and even the 924 the Solstice's engine is a dream. It's got power in all the gears, very nice acceleration and power once you master keeping it above 4000 RPM, and doesn't bog down at all with the AC on.

The first real performance mod I want to do is a quality intake kit. I'll wait for audio clips first of course, but if it sounds like the intake/filter on my ZX2 then it'll be worth it even if there's no performance gain. The sound it'll produce will defintely help mask the engine whine too.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I like it. You and I have the same problem , we just cant get over this car! I was just down in my car building removing the overspray it came from the factory with and couldn't help but keep looking at it from all angles and admireing the car.
:agree:

I'm always looking and thinking how beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts