Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched and did not find an answer. And it's pretty trivial, but anyway...

Has anybody taken pictures of the engine with the gawd-awful plastic cover removed? Sorry, but I like seeing cam-towers, not plastic, even with that ultra-sexy "Ecotec" logo. :skep:

Anyway, just curious.

Later,

BD

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm keeping mine on, that logo is too sexy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortimir said:
It's probably not good for the engine to keep the valve cover off, is it?
The plastic cover is not the valve cover; it is purely cosmetic. I'm quite sure it serves no practical function, other than to hide some wires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jimmyo said:
The cover is a noise and thermal insulator.
I'll bet you a box of donuts you could never tell the difference without it unless you pop the hood and look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ROCKETMAN said:
So, pics anyone?
Thank you.

Pics anyone?

If not, somebody with a ratchet or torx driver pull the thing off and snap some pics. What's the General hiding under all that plastic?

·
Registered
109 Posts
jimmyo said:
The cover is a noise and thermal insulator.
Well actually, it's a Cowl over Valve Electrofying Revolator. (COVER for short) :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
OK guys ... I was bored, so I took the initiative to snap a few pics. Removing the cover is just a matter of pulling straight up. There are a few rubber clips that snap on to metal posts. Here ya' go ...

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
It doesn't look bad. But I'd leave the cover on. Keep it classy looking.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yes, it looks cluttered without the cover.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Editguy said:
Yes, it looks cluttered without the cover.
Agreed... I might fiberglass me a nicer one some time in the future, but until then, the stock cover looks nice.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
bitchindude said:
I'll bet you a box of donuts you could never tell the difference without it unless you pop the hood and look.
Well, I guess you didn't count on somebody here with a Sound Level Meter, did you? :lol: The difference really isn't very noticable, but since I'm bored and you guys are curious, I thought I'd settle the matter. I measured about 64 dB with the engine cover on and closer to 66 dB with the cover off. So there is a difference, but it's not that dramatic. (These measurements were taken in my closed garage with the car windows down and the hood closed.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
SlySol said:
Well, I guess you didn't count on somebody here with a Sound Level Meter, did you? :lol: The difference really isn't very noticable, but since I'm bored and you guys are curious, I thought I'd settle the matter. I measured about 64 dB with the engine cover on and closer to 66 dB with the cover off. So there is a difference, but it's not that dramatic. (These measurements were taken in my closed garage with the car windows down and the hood closed.)
Closed garage??? You did vent the garage, right? I mean, otherwise I might see you on the Darwin Awards website if you stayed in there too long.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts