Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I currently drive a Honda DelSol, which I love. I have been dreaming of a Corvette C6...but a little out of my price range. Then looked at the S2000...liked it because it is a Honda, but it lacked the punch in the design and performance for the price. Then...I found the Solstice!!! I love this car!!

So, you all seem to have the inside details on this car. Can you tell me how I get on the waiting list for one? What about the turbo packages that are coming out next year...is it worth waiting for?

Also, I've never owned a Pontiac. Always Hondas, which are fabulous. Never any trouble, and they stand behind their cars. Any advice on owning a Pontiac?

One last question...I love the design of the Solstice, but something about the position of those back-up lights in the rear...seem a little out of place to me. Any thoughts on that design choice?

Thanks to all for any advice you can give me. I hope you all love driving your new Solstices!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums Iggies.

To get on a waiting list all you have to do is go down to a any dealerships and place an order. Since they're still taking orders you get to option the car out exactly how you want. Now the main goal is to find a dealerhsip that wont charge you over MSRP and still has some of thier first 4 month allocation left. Otherwise you're not going to get a car till aftern Novemenber more then likely. The only way to have gotten an EOP/Apprentice car was back on April 15th in a span of 42 minutes.

The current rumor on the Solstice GXP is a 2.0L Turbocharged ECOTEC engine making in the range of ~250HP. I would expect an upgraded fascia to accept the intercooler, along with a suspension/brake upgrade to handle the new power levels. No idea on price or real availability (or if that's the real specs or not) yet.

I really can't give advice on owning a Pontiac because I've never owned one. THe friends I have who do have never had issues with their cars or dealers.

The Solstice was a semi-parts-bin car. Meaning a bunch of it's parts are shared from other cars/trucks to cut development time and costs. The backup lights you can see on some GMC trucks, and Pontiac cars. I personally don't like them as well, but hey, that's what the aftermarkets for right?

I'm going to move this to Solstice General since it doesn't apply to EOP/Apprentice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for moving it...after posting I knew I was in the wrong place. I'll call my dealers and see what I can find out. Hopefully it isn't too late to get on the list.
Glad to hear I'm not crazy about those backup lights. They sort of look like they were plopped on there from another car...and they were!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I bleed Pontiac so I carry a little bias baggage. I have driven probably a million or more mostly trouble-free Pontiac miles and I highly recommend the product. Since the days of fuel-injected Bonnevilles of the 50's and before Pontiac has always meant performance. And wide-track, don't forget, compared to its competition, the Solstice has a wider track which translates into stability and handling.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Iggies said:
Hi all!
I currently drive a Honda DelSol, which I love. Also, I've never owned a Pontiac. Always Hondas, which are fabulous. Never any trouble, and they stand behind their cars. Any advice on owning a Pontiac?

I'm a Honda guy myself having own a Del Sol and raced an Integra on the road tracks. My feeling is your are going feel right at home in the Solstice, with more torque than your are used to having. As a sidebar, I'm helping my a friend drop a JDM B18C5 engine into his Del Sol next week. This will be really fun to compare against a stock Solstice.

As far as the styling goes, my choice is leaning towards the Sky. I'm buying the Solstice and having it converted into a killer showcar, but for style, the Sky has a better look for me. Should be one of the first people to have the Sky with my expected delivery late February 2006.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah the boxy look definitely gives a Cadillac vibe. The new XLR looks like the Sky's big brother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the sky has a little sharper lines..like the Caddy...a little bit of that boxiness...it is nice though. I think I prefer the roundness of the Solstice, particularly the front end...looks more retro to me, like the 54 corvette.
I've been looking at the galleries...what is that boot in some of the pictures that goes over the passenger seat? Is that some sort of option? Are there snaps on the outside of the vehicle normally?
Also, does anyone know about the top...is it manual to put it up and down or automatic somehow?
I called a few of my dealers locally. I'm surprised that they seem to not know much about it. One guy said, "yeah, sure I'll take a deposit" not seeming to care or know anything about when I would get a car. One dealer said I could get on his list, he said it wasn't long, but that I wouldn't get a car until November of 06. Does that sound right? Another dealer said he has 3 allotted to him, and he has 5 on the list. Should I get on the list with that dealer?
Does anyone know of where you can actually see a car? Are there any more of those shows like the one in Oregon from the gallery?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Iggies said:
I've been looking at the galleries...what is that boot in some of the pictures that goes over the passenger seat? Is that some sort of option? Are there snaps on the outside of the vehicle normally?
Oh you young lads, you need to go back to your automotive history books and look at the history of the American roadsters, namely the Ford Cobra (okay, it really is an English thing, heck we stole their body why not the accessories for it too). Back in the days when a convertible top was not even an option. Instead of having to put a water proof cover on these cars some inventor came up with the idea of a snap on cover. The covers became very popular for the street versions that almost every Kit Car today uses these same covers. It gives the car the feel of old days when you had to button down your car from the elements.

Again, the new Solstice is the modern day Cobra in the eyes of some engineers. Just need to drop in a V8 to get there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Iggies said:
Yes, the sky has a little sharper lines..like the Caddy...a little bit of that boxiness...it is nice though. I think I prefer the roundness of the Solstice, particularly the front end...looks more retro to me, like the 54 corvette.
Also, does anyone know about the top...is it manual to put it up and down or automatic somehow?
I called a few of my dealers locally. I'm surprised that they seem to not know much about it. One guy said, "yeah, sure I'll take a deposit" not seeming to care or know anything about when I would get a car. One dealer said I could get on his list, he said it wasn't long, but that I wouldn't get a car until November of 06. Does that sound right? Another dealer said he has 3 allotted to him, and he has 5 on the list. Should I get on the list with that dealer?
Does anyone know of where you can actually see a car? Are there any more of those shows like the one in Oregon from the gallery?
Just curious where you are from. There are dealers out there who still have first allocation left. You might have to drive awhile but it would be worth it. Just keep calling till you find one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Northern California. Really? There are dealers with original allocation left? I have access to the Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose) or also Sacramento. Do you think I'll have more luck going to dealers in large markets...where they demand is also probably higher...or should i focus on smaller town dealers where the 'locals' might not be interested in the Solstice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iggies said:
Also, I've never owned a Pontiac. Always Hondas, which are fabulous. Never any trouble, and they stand behind their cars. Any advice on owning a Pontiac?
My work car is a 98 Honda Civic hatchback. It is a good car. I mention this so I can claim no bias.

I bought a used 95 Pontiac Grand Am in 96 and drove it until 2004. Sold it a little before 100,000 miles when we wanted to upgrade to a minivan. No problems, no complaints - it was a great car.

One guy's experience.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Iggies said:
I'm in Northern California. Really? There are dealers with original allocation left? I have access to the Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose) or also Sacramento. Do you think I'll have more luck going to dealers in large markets...where they demand is also probably higher...or should i focus on smaller town dealers where the 'locals' might not be interested in the Solstice?
If you want to pay $5k over MSRP, there might be dealers in the SJ area with allocation...after that, you are best off getting far off the peninsula.

To give you perspecitve, In April, after scouring the peninsula dealers and only finding mark ups and wait lists, I found a delaer in near monterey with 3 left and I signed up for one...now, he has 25 people on his wait list, like the rest of the peninsula/city...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I kinda figured there wouldn't be much left in the Bay Area. I'm going to try the little podunk towns in the foothills, and see what I come up with.
BTW, I like your "breaking the rules". Seems I've told myself those things a few times too...but there is something about this car...that just makes you want to break the rules!!! (probably why I'll end up with a bunch of speeding tickets later) :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Iggies said:
I would try every dealer you can get ahold of within a several hundred mile radius! A small dealer might be more likely to have an open spot!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Damn, Now I know for sure that I am competing against Iggies!

I have a $500 dollar check sitting on a table in Folsom(thought I would go to the smaller towns as well) He quoted me 5k over because, "they are getting 20k in the bay"

No offense to Small Dealer, but I hate car dealers/salemen.

as far as breaking rules, i hear ya, first year, msrp. I've lowered all my standards.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Iggies said:
Try Taylor Motors in Redding. They've taken great care of me and it's an easy drive. I doubt they would gouge, probably would be willing to sell for MSRP or maybe $500 over, and they're good people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.