Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m tired of reading all the negative stuff. The Solstice is what it is: an affordable, good looking, fun to drive, basic sports car. It certainly has enough available bells & whistles to satisfy the majority of owners. In the sports car world, it’s the biggest bang for the buck and it’s American made! Does it have the same power as a Porsche? Of course not! For 20K to 25K what do you expect? I can’t read the griping anymore. :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Spot on. When the Mustang first came out in 64 we didn't have the web to complain about the lousy six cylinder and three on the tree in the base model. Or even when the first Z3 was intoduced with a now anemic 1.9 liter engine that teh Sol could beat with one cylinder tied behind its back. This car is not a 'vette. not a GTO. It is meant to bring back the fun of roadsters to an American brand. What other American brand (DCX half excluded) has what we have? Not Ford, so that leaves only Panoz. Certainly not for the masses. Z4, S2k, M5, all foreign built or controlled. It's like the British rock invasion of the sixties, The Miata is the Beatles, no The Rolling Stones, because it has been around for so long...and the Solstice is Springsteen and Mellencamp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
achieftain said:
Spot on. When the Mustang first came out in 64 we didn't have the web to complain about the lousy six cylinder and three on the tree in the base model. Or even when the first Z3 was intoduced with a now anemic 1.9 liter engine that teh Sol could beat with one cylinder tied behind its back. This car is not a 'vette. not a GTO. It is meant to bring back the fun of roadsters to an American brand. What other American brand (DCX half excluded) has what we have? Not Ford, so that leaves only Panoz. Certainly not for the masses. Z4, S2k, M5, all foreign built or controlled. It's like the British rock invasion of the sixties, The Miata is the Beatles, no The Rolling Stones, because it has been around for so long...and the Solstice is Springsteen and Mellencamp.
You're a lot more eloquent than me, and from PA too!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Chief Jay said:
You're a lot more eloquent than me, and from PA too!
The Declaration of Independence was written here! Eloquence, and style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote by achieftain - " When the Mustang first came out in 64 we didn't have the web to complain about the lousy six cylinder and three on the tree in the base model"

The '64 Mustang never had a three on the tree,,,,,it was floor mounted. Agree with all the rest you said ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
:agree: I made a similar comment in another thread. The guy was leaving because he has heard too much bad about the Solstice and was canceling his order. This is a great car and you have to accept for what it is intended to be. I think the Solstice has acutally exceeded the $19995 low price category.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MSG_McKee said:
Brittish? :confused: I have been watching too much BBC International ;)
Iraq? Thank you for your service. When you get back to the states don't hesitate to join your local VFW post. It's not the "old man" place it used to be. The younger guys are welcome with open arms. Good luck and stay safe! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PhxSunCat said:
Quote by achieftain - " When the Mustang first came out in 64 we didn't have the web to complain about the lousy six cylinder and three on the tree in the base model"

The '64 Mustang never had a three on the tree,,,,,it was floor mounted. Agree with all the rest you said ;)
I believe there were a few, with the front bench seat. Don't suppose you ever saw one of those either but they existed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, found one in a junkyard, one of 399 1968 coupe/bench. Bought the seat for $10.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Everyone has different expectations for a car such as a Solstice and what it should offer at this price. Lets face it, this car is NOT for everyone. People who really like the styling will become emotionally attached, even if they dislike other aspects of the car (such as the power, or the features). So they get a little upset that they like the car's looks so much but cannot see themselves living with some of it's other features (or lack thereof). People not happy with the car is just as natural as the people who will be 100% happy with it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Chief Jay said:
I’m tired of reading all the negative stuff. The Solstice is what it is: an affordable, good looking, fun to drive, basic sports car. It certainly has enough available bells & whistles to satisfy the majority of owners. In the sports car world, it’s the biggest bang for the buck and it’s American made! Does it have the same power as a Porsche? Of course not! For 20K to 25K what do you expect? I can’t read the griping anymore. :willy:
:agree: :agree:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,527 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Everyone has different expectations for a car such as a Solstice and what it should offer at this price. Lets face it, this car is NOT for everyone.
It also depends on your past experiences with other cars. My last roadster was a '63 Spridget (an unholy marriage involving the front half of an AH Sprite and the rear half of an MG Midget). My Sol is heaven in comparison.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
ateam_77 said:
:agree: I made a similar comment in another thread. The guy was leaving because he has heard too much bad about the Solstice and was canceling his order. This is a great car and you have to accept for what it is intended to be. I think the Solstice has acutally exceeded the $19995 low price category.
But the point is almost all reviews are on the plus side. I think he's a Miata Troll, trying to bad mouth the Solstice. Most remarks from the forum are good and people LOVE the car.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
achieftain said:
I believe there were a few, with the front bench seat. Don't suppose you ever saw one of those either but they existed.
Nope, on the floor.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I agree with the Sol being a great car, especially for the price. There is only one thing that I think GM should have done differently, only one thing that I think was really a bad choice on their part - the lack of a spare tire. I can live with the small trunk, I love the horsepower and handling, and I can live without a six speed transmission. I'm concerned about the fix-a-flat system. My car is a daily driver and will remain that until I chalk up too many miles and moth ball the car for Sunday drives with future grand children. I have had flat tires in the past, but not too many. My experience has been such that a fix-a-flat would not have solved my previous flat tire issues. If a side wall bead is broken, there is no way the fix-a-flat will resolve the problem. If a major cut occurs from anything from debris on the road to a pothole, the fix-a-flat system will not help. Yes I belong to AAA and have road side assistance. But now I have to rely on my cell phone and have to wait on someone driving out to where I am sitting to tow me back. I can't fix the problem myself and continue on with my journey. GM really needs to revisit this decision on future models because in the long run this could be more of a headache from a PR point of view than a small trunk or the lack of a mirror on the passenger sun visor. The other items being complained about are in my mind not as important as the added safety and convenience of a spare tire. Okay, I've vented my concern. As far as I'm concerned the Sol is a fantastic car far ahead of any other first year car I can think of. On the tire issue, I'll still keep my car even though it may be an inconvenience for me in the future because the remainder of my Solstice experience outweights the problem.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I agree with the Sol being a great car, especially for the price. There is only one thing that I think GM should have done differently, only one thing that I think was really a bad choice on their part - the lack of a spare tire. I can live with the small trunk, I love the horsepower and handling, and I can live without a six speed transmission. I'm concerned about the fix-a-flat system. My car is a daily driver and will remain that until I chalk up too many miles and moth ball the car for Sunday drives with future grand children. I have had flat tires in the past, but not too many. My experience has been such that a fix-a-flat would not have solved my previous flat tire issues. If a side wall bead is broken, there is no way the fix-a-flat will resolve the problem. If a major cut occurs from anything from debris on the road to a pothole, the fix-a-flat system will not help. Yes I belong to AAA and have road side assistance. But now I have to rely on my cell phone and have to wait on someone driving out to where I am sitting to tow me back. I can't fix the problem myself and continue on with my journey. GM really needs to revisit this decision on future models because in the long run this could be more of a headache from a PR point of view than a small trunk or the lack of a mirror on the passenger sun visor. The other items being complained about are in my mind not as important as the added safety and convenience of a spare tire. Okay, I've vented my concern. As far as I'm concerned the Sol is a fantastic car far ahead of any other first year car I can think of. On the tire issue, I'll still keep my car even though it may be an inconvenience for me in the future because the remainder of my Solstice experience outweights the problem.
You can get a lugage rack and strap a spare to it. Just strap it on tight so it dosen't fall off when you open the trunk. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts