Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just purchased a 2007 GXP, triple black, 43K, great shape. I added a Magnaflow Street Series Exhaust, I want to add a Cold Air Intake, however, I'm concerned about the chance of water getting into the engine. Has anybody ever had a bad experience with the addition of a CAI? And, by having an engine tune will that affect the result of my annual emissions test that would cause the car to fail?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone ingesting water in the CAI. It is not located in a position that would be exposed to water or rain. Doesn't get its air from under the car as the radiator does.

·
Premium Member
10,439 Posts
The OEM CAI is the best for this car, adding something else will give you issues with the MAF. The GM performance CAI was a good replacement, if you wanted the look but not much else would be gained.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
The CAIs I have seen all pull air from the same location as the factory airbox and are pretty well protected from water. There are multiple sources for a water resistant bag that you can install over the CAI filter to keep water out if you are concerned.

As stated, the CAI is bling not go accessory. It makes more noise but no more power.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
There have been issues with CELs being produced from off-brand CAIs. There have also been a few issues with K&N CAIs creating a CEL. I can tell you for certian that a Fujita will DEFINITELY cause a CEL without a proper retune. As far as water goes...do you plan on driving through a puddle that would cover your front grill inlets? If not, there should be no issue of water ingestion. I got caught in a massive rain storm last summer coming back from a cruise. We had an inch of rain in 20 min....no issue. Most air filters are aimed on at least a 30 degree down angle anyway, so any water that gets in them will fall out. On a side note, my air filter sits right under the hood seam, so water does come in there if it's raining hard enough...

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Congrats on your new car!

I have DDM's CAI and have never thrown a CEL - don't add oil to the filter. I know it doesnt add power, however it cleans up the engine bay, removes about 10 lbs of plastic and definitely makes a lot of noise, which I love.

I live in Colorado and have to go through emissions. I had a Solo high flow cat, DDM CAI & charge tubes, Magnaflow exhaust and Trifecta tune on my last engine and always passed emissions.

New engine does not pass emissions, but is completely diff.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thank you, I have a couple of collectible cars, but this GXP is really a blast to drive.
There's something about them that just is fun. They really made a good driving experience. Yeah it's a pain in the ass. All fun cars are in my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts