Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, the EOP cars are being shipped and (by implication) produced randomly according to "Program Headquarters". Here is an edited email to Headquarters asking for the Northern cars to be produced first and.... more interestingly, their reply. Make of it what you will. My one opinion is that "Program Headquarters" is an outside group that doesn't really know much of anything.

Sent: Mon 8/1/2005 1:15 PM
To: Pontiac Solstice
Subject: Make the cold weather cars first?

Dear Solstice team:
I fear my car may not be delivered until October and in Iowa the convertable weather is over by then. Is there any way Pontiac would consider delivering the Northern "First 1,000" Solstice cars before the ones going to those lucky individuals that live in the warmer South?
Thanks
(the reply-below)
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:10PM
To: "me"
Subject: RE: Make the cold weather cars first?
Dear "me",
Thank you for your interest in the Pontiac Solstice. They have started delivery from the plant last week. This is all done randomly. I don't see a VIN # for your vehicle yet but keep in touch with your dealer. Pontiac updates the system once the vehicle are produced and supplies the VIN #.
Sincerely
Program Headquarters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah, randomly by color... :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
We've pretty much determined through investigation that they are batching colors so not sure they are 100% right with the random thing. Not sure who those people are at HQ, as you said I think they might be an outsourced agency hired to run the EOP program (didn't someone say they were in St. Louis?)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
mceb said:
We've pretty much determined through investigation that they are batching colors so not sure they are 100% right with the random thing. Not sure who those people are at HQ, as you said I think they might be an outsourced agency hired to run the EOP program (didn't someone say they were in St. Louis?)
I can;t find it now but I thought i saw it somewhere where Mr. Lutz said the cars were being built by color... and that really makes sense since even back years ago they only made a couple colors at the same time...one question i have is are the body panels painted seperate to the spaceframe or do they put it all together then paint it? I think they paint the body panels seperate since the windshield frame and the panel behind the seats are all silver on every car... or is that just a cover they put over the frame too?

·
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08
330 Posts
Sol Survivor said:
yeah, randomly by color... :cool:
Yeah. My hubby called EOP HQ tonight to see if he could get more info off of them than our dealer. Mistake! They told him that they are randomly making them - definitely not by color. That'll be the last time he calls there for info.

Oh well, guess we'll wait till the dealer is back in on Thursday to see if there is any more info. (I don't think he checks the system unless we call and pester the crap out of him.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothern Car's First???? Well that is there problem they live there! Is it not? I think it should be by how quick you logged on to the web site from the Apprentice. Why not? This is getting crazy. The American way is first come first serve. Not to happy with these rumors. I would hope GM is better then that. Almost sounds prejudice.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Classic66vair said:
I can;t find it now but I thought i saw it somewhere where Mr. Lutz said the cars were being built by color...
It was buried in the Detriot comments from last Friday. Lori Q I think confirmed it, less changing of colors gave them best chance at better quality of paint. Large backlog of orders probably factored in too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
tugmate said:
Nothern Car's First???? Well that is there problem they live there! Is it not? I think it should be by how quick you logged on to the web site from the Apprentice. Why not? This is getting crazy. The American way is first come first serve. Not to happy with these rumors. I would hope GM is better then that. Almost sounds prejudice.
Not to argue, I hope you are just makeing the point: "what will be will be".
But I'm very sure most all of us (first 1000 and some beyond) were there waiting patiently before the buzzer and dealers frantically smash the send key--not to mention all the serverproblems/zero zip etc.

However, I do wish pontiac would be more forth coming with info.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Batching colors

mceb said:

The head GM line guy told us back in Portland that they were going to batch the colors..........I posted it the next day...........

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
tugmate said:
What rumor? Did you not read the post correctly? Someone sending an email making a request of GM, which is declined, does not constitute a rumor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
tugmate said:
Nothern Car's First???? Well that is there problem... Almost sounds prejudice.
I've seen a lot of rediculous claims of prejudice - but this just might take the cake. Please relax.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
JMS-MES said:
My hubby called EOP HQ tonight to see if he could get more info off of them than our dealer. Mistake! They told him that they are randomly making them - definitely not by color. That'll be the last time he calls there for info.
Yep ... the EOP hotline is outsourced, so they merely repeat the basic info they are told by GM. Keep in mind that there are many possible interpretations that could fit the very generic information they are giving. First, they are not being broken down by individual color, so that could account for their color explanation. Also, if they decided to run certain batches of colors (though not just one color :) ) first and then chose those colors randomly and also chose the order of the cars within each group randomly, then it would still seem to be a fairly random selection process.

Also, I highly doubt they would make selections by location, as that would appear to be somewhat discriminatory (regardless of the reasons). However, if they did happen to choose the three darkest colors to produce first, it would probably have the effect of sending more northern cars out first, because people in warmer climates generally tend to order less of the black or near-black colors because they get somewhat hotter.

Oh well ... I don't know how they did it, but those are just some possibilities that ran through my head. However, even though they were not done "by color" so to speak, I think it would be hard to believe that the grouping of color batches had no part in it if indeed the first 350 cars are all black, blue, or green. Based on some quick calculations, I believe I would be more likely to win the state lottery jackpot 14 times in a row than for that to happen by complete coincidence.

Anyway, there doesn't appear to be a good official release about it yet, so this is pretty much just speculation.

·
Registered
936 Posts
One thing about the colors being batched dosen't mean they will build every car of that color before they move on to the next. There could be some black cars that are built quite late in the 1000.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The wait will end one of two ways: Car at dealership or my death. Either way comes about whenever.

Does this make me happy? No! Is there anything I can do about it? No. Is GM gonna change the way they are doing anything because of me? No.

So I'll just wait and enjoy reading about everyone's pleasure as they get their cars. My turn will come.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ateam_77 said:
One thing about the colors being batched dosen't mean they will build every car of that color before they move on to the next. There could be some black cars that are built quite late in the 1000.
No it dosen;t mean that , but think this way, the quickest way to get those 1000 cars done would be to do it that way, minimal changover time , just refill the paint when you run out... then clean everything up and do the next color....
Normal practice is to paint a certian number of cars the same color at the same time to save costs.... and in this case it will save time also... i know when i clean up a paint gun, just one it takes a hour to make sure it is good and clean, i don't know how many spray nozzels they have but the time between changeover cound be significant...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
By random I believe they mean that the computer is in control of what gets built when.

The orders are pickup from the dealers, the computer looks at the options and colors, orders the necessary parts from the outside suppliers and put the cars in an order that it has been program to be the most efficient. The biggest concern is to keep the line moving. If there is a delay on parts, the computer makes the changes necessary to get the most cars out the door.

If they they aren't building cars, they aren't making money.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
It was buried in the Detriot comments from last Friday. Lori Q I think confirmed it, less changing of colors gave them best chance at better quality of paint. Large backlog of orders probably factored in too.
Meaning the last car painted of each color is the best? Then I'll "settle" for #1000. ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Everybody has their opinion about how GM is putting out the Solstice (location, color, time stamp). Random - maybe. I think color batch, but with in the batch is the people who first turned their EOP car build selection in first. It is just a opinion - My car was built in VOM system 4/18/05.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts