Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of the first 1000 cars but I am wondering about the Vehicle Order Detail. I placed my order but it does not say what time I go the vehicle. Was this time on another sheet the dealer did not give me?

Also, I was told by my dealer that they were told 4-6 weeks from Apr 15 for the 1k cars to come in. Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There are a couple of things you need to verify...

To find out if you really got one of the first 1000, follow the instructions at my FAQ: How do I know if I got one of the 1st 1000? (Checklist & other info)

With regard to delivery dates, that's truly up in the air. The only thing we know for certain is that Pontiac is saying they will deliver the vehicles in Q4 2005 (October through December this year). That's the official line. Most of us believe that it is really a worst case, fall back position designed to set customer expectations for unexpected delays.

The 4-6 weeks is a bit short for normal production vehicles from GM (normally it's about 6-8 weeks), and the dealer is probably just being optimistic based on previous orders from GM. That said, the 1st 1000 are a new production run, and many conflicting posts here from various sources have indicated a production start time in the mid to late May time frame. So, it could be 6-8 weeks would be from that point. Again, this is ALL just speculation without much hard factual data to back it up.

Nearly everyone has figured out that the Summer Solstice for this year is June 21 02:46 AM EDT [Eastern Daylight Time]. It's a good bet that Pontiac will try to target for this date, but as far as I can tell, they're hedging their bets and trying to keep expectations low so they don't disappoint anyone. Further, many states require a specific delivery date by which the car will be delivered at the time of order (deposit) contract commencement, so that explains why they stipulated in the Early Order Program rules 180 days from the time of order.

We are all hoping to see the EOP 1st 1000 Solstice Roadsters on the Solstice. It's just way too cool from a marketing stand point.

That's why you see many of the landings for NASA's JPL probes set for significant days such as the Viking Landers actually landing on July 4th, and others on significant holidays (gives them a press boost on otherwise slow news days).

Congratulations on getting a 1st 1000 Solstice. Again, I urge you to read the FAQ I linked above. Let me and the forum know if you have any other questions.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Nearly everyone has figured out that the Summer Solstice for this year is June 21 02:46 AM EDT [Eastern Daylight Time].
How cool would that be if they actually said you can come pick up your car at 2:46 AM on the solstice and had some big nationwide countdown at dealers like a New Years Eve celebration. Maybe even have a giant mock-up of a Sol at Detroit HQ being broadcast on GM TV to the dealers and have the top raise at exactly 2:46. (Like the ball dropping on New Years) They could invite all the Solstice orders to help celebrate and get a sneak peek at their car. :) Would certainly be another media event.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SlySol said:
How cool would that be if they actually said you can come pick up your car at 2:46 AM on the solstice and had some big nationwide countdown at dealers like a New Years Eve celebration. Maybe even have a giant mock-up of a Sol at Detroit HQ being broadcast on GM TV to the dealers and have the top raise at exactly 2:46. (Like the ball dropping on New Years) They could invite all the Solstice orders to help celebrate and get a sneak peek at their car. :) Would certainly be another media event.
Well, it would be better to use sunrise local time...

The reason is actually more symbolic than the actual precise astronomical time of the solstice. Specifically, it was celebrated (and measured) by watching the point on the horizon where the Sun rose at it's most Northern point (for those in the Northern Hemisphere). So, the really significant time, and the time marked by all of the archeoastronomical observatories like Stonehenge is the actual sunrise.

But you're correct, it would be really cool if Pontiac decided to deliver a large number of the Solstice Roadsters to the customers at Sunrise on the Summer Solstice. :) I'd be there to put the top down as the Sun threw it's first golden rays over the horizon and drive off into the true day of the Summer Solstice in my Solstice Roadster. Heck, I'd be more than willing to hang around and let the media take pictures of the car. :D

Wow, gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. What a way to pay tribute.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Well, it would be better to use sunrise local time...
Might be a bit harder to coordinate that way, but sounds great to me! Means I'd get mine first ... I'm on the east coast! Too bad for those poor saps out west :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't mind the wait at all!

SlySol said:
Might be a bit harder to coordinate that way, but sounds great to me! Means I'd get mine first ... I'm on the east coast! Too bad for those poor saps out west :)
Waiting for Sunrise would be no trouble at all.

By the way, I've posted up a thread that talks about this very subject...
FAQ: What is the astronomical meaning of Solstice?

Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
I read the entire thread you posted on the meaning of the Solstice it was a very interesting read.
By the way and this is of topic but why did GM cave in and backed out in letting us OWNER/CUSTOMER decide that steel/sand is OK with RED or GREEN, any comments?
Thanks in advance for all of your information.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Oh No! The seats don't fit once we've painted the car green!

LatinVenom said:
I read the entire thread you posted on the meaning of the Solstice it was a very interesting read.
By the way and this is of topic but why did GM cave in and backed out in letting us OWNER/CUSTOMER decide that steel/sand is OK with RED or GREEN, any comments?
My favorite answer to the steel/sand question is the one proposed by Brentil in the thread Stell/Sand Leather Compatibility
brentil said:
The word constraint jsut seems funny to me in this usage. I keep thinking like there's some important art person somewhere yelling "but tan doesn't go with green!!!" And at the same time like it's some sort of engineering issue. Like "oh know, these tan seats don't fit correctly once the green paint has been put on, what ever shall we do?"
:glol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Cool! Glad to hear you liked the astronomical Solstice postings.

LatinVenom said:
I'm glad you liked it. :cool:

I wonder if one of the moderators will decide to move it to the FAQ forum... :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
SM I know CA should be the one to let you or the others Mod know about his preference, but my opinion is, it should be in the FAQ, if nothing else for the WHY Solstice as the name of the car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Cool! Glad you guys liked it. I guess it could also be made sticky. Solsticeman, I hadn't thought of the posting restrictions. Sticky's probably just fine for now, when things quiet down after a while, maybe we could move it up there.

Here's a thought, can we place a link in the FAQ forum to the current postable location?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Waiting for Sunrise would be no trouble at all.
What I meant was that it couldn't be coordinated as nationwide event that way. And with only 1000, breaking it up might dilute the idea of a massive party. At any rate, I still think it would be a cool idea no matter how it was implemented. Then again, you've got to take a very optimistic view of GM's production schedule to think it's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SlySol said:
What I meant was that it couldn't be coordinated as nationwide event that way. And with only 1000, breaking it up might dilute the idea of a massive party. At any rate, I still think it would be a cool idea no matter how it was implemented. Then again, you've got to take a very optimistic view of GM's production schedule to think it's a possibility.
Well, think of New Years Eve Celebrations. They roll around the globe, and still get great news coverage. It could be the same. Besides, the first light is a special time for photography. It's sometimes called the magic time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts