Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was playing around with a program I have called Car Test, it is a computer modeling program for acceleration in automobiles. I have found it to be pretty accurate, within .1 or .2 for 1/4 mile and 0-60 and within 3mph or so top speed.

I decided to play around and enter the Solstice's information in and see what I got. I also took the liberty to project what performance gains might be seen out of the GM Performance intake and exhaust, biased upon estimates made from HP improvements seen from 2.2 ecotec gains from similar modifications +13hp and +10tq.(optimistic I know, but not unrealistic, people are claiming +10hp at the wheels in cavilers and sunfires, also 93 octane might help here too.) Then I took a wheel dyno of a Cobalt SS supercharged with a drop in K&N filter and entered those numbers in for a potential GTP version of the solstice with the 2.0S/C.

The gearing (and all specifications for that matter) I used was the ratios and data listed in the FAQ on this Forum, and when in doubt I used a Miata (ie Cd I used .38, same as Miata) The only other thing I changed is the shift time for a manual transmission in the configuration, they default to .5 sec. per shift, I have found that .3 sec. gives more accurate numbers for what you will see in real life. Edit: Stock updated with Engine HP Graph from GM.

Here are the results... (Edited to reflect GM's plublished Dyno)

.....................Stock.........GM Performance.....................GTP

0-60................7.04.........................6.65....................5.85

1/[email protected]@[email protected]

Speed..............130..........................133......................139

Not bad on the supercharged motor, GM could drop this engine in there and have a pretty fast little roadster. And with a aftermarket chip and pulley 13's are not far away (or expensive). According to what I have read on the Redline and Cobalt forums, the computer is limiting the boost to 12.5psi, by opening the bypass valve early, stop that with a aftermarket chip and the pulley @stock size is capable of something like 14.5psi, an extra 2 psi should be good for almost 20 hp, and a little smaller pulley for 2 more and you are well into the 13's for the 1/4... Ahhh to dream...

I have a full performance analysis with lots more acceleration numbers and specifications, but I can't attach the pdf yet because I don't have enough posts... Would someone step up here and post it if I email them the pdf?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Way to go those would be impressive numbers if the stock can actually achieve what you plugged in. Can your program handle input like changes in tire size? There seems to be in another thread people's contempt already for the "large" 245/45-18 skins on the Solstice which are in fact no larger in diameter than 225/60-16's.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
said:
There seems to be in another thread people's contempt already for the "large" 245/45-18 skins on the Solstice which are in fact no larger in diameter than 225/60-16's.
It's not about the overall diameter, it's about the added torque that is required to turn a heavier wheel/tire. A 18 inch wheel is really big for a 4 cylinder.

Those 0-60 times are decent but what would a turbo-charged 350RWHP horsepower Solstice do? Taking into affect that the car can be launched at full boost. I raced a 3,000 pound RX7 last night running 385 rwhp and and he says he runs high 11s(corrected).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've been running some simulations with Cartest, too. There is no parameter for tire/wheel weight.

With 400 flywheel hp (and 350 ft/lb) Cartest estimates the 1/4 mile in [email protected], 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, top speed 172mph.

Add an LS-7 (with total weight at 3000# and 55% on the front wheels) and you get 1/4 mile [email protected], 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

If you believe Cartest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts