Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has begun to experience the fuel smell from the back of the car on hot days problem. My belief is that this is due to a problem with the Evap Canister not functioning correctly.

I went looking for one and found that they are UNAVAILABLE. Out of stock with no promise date for when they will be back in stock. So I went looking for alternative parts sources. Found an ACDelco part but guess what. Out of Stock. Found an alternative after market part at Autozone. Unavailable. Found an alternative at Rock Auto. Unavailable.

So far I have ordered from four different sources and all came back unavailable.

I bought a used/new one from Amazon with the intent to either use it as is if its functional or rebuild it if it is not.

anyone know of a source for the Evap Canister?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
At the rate these parts availability issues are popping up, I'm tempted to buy a wrecked car and shove it behind the barn to use as a source of spare parts.

I'm guessing this is one of the few parts that isn't shared with other cars?

Edit

Rob, are you searching for the LNF or LE5? My local Autozone said (verbally) they can get them, but it's a duralast part for $175. I've found that, from time to time, parts are not correctly indexed and searching for the parts for the NA will yield more parts than the GXP will, even thought he part in question is interchangeable.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
According to my research they use the same part number for all cars.
I did an online look at Autozone for the Duralast part and it came up out of stock.

But I did the search against Solstice generic. What part number was your Duralast canister?

This is what I get when I try to order it

Sorry, at least one of the special order items in your cart is no longer available. The item is highlighted below. Please remove the item or adjust the quantity before proceeding to checkout.

Part Number: VC4284

·
Registered
3,785 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a replacement part that is available.
ACDelco 215-573 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister without Vent Valve Solenoid

It's the HHR canister. They are nearly identical parts. The HHR part has a metal bracket over the top that is easily removed and two additional mounting tans. One needs to be cut off, the other moved to retain the solenoid valve properly. But other than that they are identical

I need to check the valve on Dave's car as that may be the problem and not the canister

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I was wondering where it was located, on top of the gas tank, and the reason for the Mayan Temple.

On top of the gas tank under the hump in the trunk.

--Christian

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some pictures of the alternative evap canister. Its the HHR part which is basically identical with the Kappa part with the addition of one tab, a slid on metal cap and the relocation of the solenoid valve retention clip. It will be very easy to modify the HHR part to substitute for the Kappa part. The HHR part is the one on the right with the white hose fitting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I successfully modified the HHR canister to be a fit for the Kappa unit. I removed the metal top with a screwdriver. Then I used the band saw to remove one side tab and the large tab on the end.

Then I test fit the evap solenoid valve to both units. It fits fine in both cases. The difference with the HHR canister is the retention clip requires the solenoid to be rotated 90 degrees but it looks to me that it will still fit the Kappa just fine. If there is a fit problem it will be easy to mount the valve without rotating it and holding it in place with alternative means.

As far as I am concerned this is no longer an issue.:nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Thanks for the details and pictures, Rob. I'm about to replace mine. This helps, a LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts