Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Is the EVAP canister the same on both Turbo and NA?
If not, can someone give me the part number for the NA?

If I can't get a new canister, can the charcoal be replaced in the one I have?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
@RobTheElder posted a write up on modifying the HHR canister, basically trimming some tabs with a Dremel if I remember correctly. Original part should be the same for NA and turbo.

Technically, you can replace the charcoal, but getting the canister resealed may be a chore. *shrug*

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Is the EVAP canister the same on both Turbo and NA?
If not, can someone give me the part number for the NA?

If I can't get a new canister, can the charcoal be replaced in the one I have?

Thanks in advance!
Did you actually read through this thread? See post #4.

@RobTheElder posted a write up on modifying the HHR canister, basically trimming some tabs with a Dremel if I remember correctly.
Yes. About 5 post up^ on this page :)

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought the manufacturers had to service emissions parts for a minimum time (I thought it was 10 years). Isn't this such a part and am I correct about their requirement to provide replacements?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
VAPOR CANISTER (GM 15250111)

THIS PART FITS
Pontiac Solstice
2009 Base, GXP 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2008 Base, GXP 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2007 Base, GXP 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2006 Base 2.4L L4 - Gas

Saturn Sky
2010 Base, Red Line 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2009 Base, Red Line 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2008 Base, Red Line 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas
2007 Base, Red Line 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.4L L4 - Gas

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Start the dance again? Price lowered $5.00 since I bought mine. It lives in its OEM box, with the FSM set sitting on it, under my computer desk here in the home office. Obviously I am not out celebrating New Year's Eve so let's simply wish for logic, reason and perhaps a little common sense and compassion. Oh hell, throw in ability and wisdom just to make 2018 interesting. Happy New Year!

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-215-582-Original-Equipment-Canister/dp/B000NW8E1W/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Pontiac|52&Model=Solstice|2824&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=21&vehicleType=automotive

ACDelco

ACDelco 215-582
GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister without Vent Valve Solenoid
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review
Price: $74.59 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally got my beautifully maintained new 2007!!

On the way to get the emissions test the light came on; evap canister. Family mechanic didn't have any trouble locating a new one, but it was $680 labor as the gas tank needs to be lowered to access it.

I watched some youtubes about cutting off the hump in the trunk to access the top of gas tank and resealing it after.

But my dad advised not to think about cutting up this very pristine car, and recommended paying the mechanic to do it

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
@UncleDenz Congrats on the new ride. :)

While I kind of understand your father's position, I'd ask: is he willing to pay the mechanic? If not, this is your decision. In your position, I'd rather keep my $680. The part to cut is hidden under the trunk carpet. Unless you tell someone, they'll never be able to tell that the tub has been modified without tearing the trunk apart.

Like many others, I wound up cutting the tub to get access to the canister. Dropping the tank isn't something I was willing to do, and I was certainly not going to pay someone $680 to do it. I recommend cutting rather than paying. The process is pretty simple, and there should be pics, etc. earlier in this thread. If you're unsure about any part of the procedure, ask in this thread. I ran a ring of blue masking tape around the tub, then marked the cut line with a Sharpie and a straight edge. Used a Dremel for the actual cut. Took about half an hour.

I believe @rob the elder re-attached the top with button snaps and straps or something similar. I wouldn't recommend re-gluing or anything like that. It's unnecessary and you never know if/when you may need to get back in there to replace another part.

Also: where on earth did your mechanic find a new one? That part is a bit of a unicorn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@raygun and @RobTheElder ... Hey! I keep seeing your names come up. Thank you for your contributions here!!!

I will ask our mechanic where he obtained the parts. He had the canister and solenoid in 2 days.

After 200 miles, it just threw up a P0451 code again, so I will be going back.

I did research info here and on youtube about doing it myself, before letting our mechanic do it. I agree on saving the money, however;

Between you and me:

(step)dad and I do have experience working on cars. My first in '83 when I was seventeen was the 68 ford 150 pickup that I learned to drive in. I could climb inside the engine compartment to work on it. (It was always down a cylinder or two as the hydraulic lifters were terrible about bending rods)

Eighteen, I inherited the family '73 Grand Am with 122k miles and rebuilt the 400ci from the crank up. Stepdad has restored tons of cars as a hobby, including a 1961 Cessna Skyhawk. (which was really cool seeing a wingless airplane in a suburb garage!)

But I am 54 and work fulltime, and he will be 80 this year. He has a 68 Cougar in the garage that he has been working on for 3 years. The longest he's ever owned a project car. I think he's worried about having to help me work on the car, and is not hard up for throwing in a few hundred dollars to support my investment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn’t cut up mine. Wasn’t bad at all to drop the tank. My canister failed to the point I couldn’t put gas in the car. I upgraded a few things while I was down there. As well cleaned up the diff and changed the fluid. Nothing is to hard. Was down for just a few days waiting on parts and upgrades. Needed the excuse to drop the rear end to swap to solid rear diff mounts and kappadapt trans mount. Plus if the canister failed like mine means the tank will be full of carbon pellets also. At least pull the sending unit and check. I was worried the pellets did some damage to the sending unit. So I took it apart and upgraded the fuel pump to a e85 capable pump. To me removing bolts is easier than cutting something up and having to solve a new problem. Good luck.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts