Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2007 Pontiac Solstice 2.4 base for about 6 weeks. Had no issues first two gas fills, passed CA smog at time of sale, but started having the gas fill issue about three weeks ago. Did my research on the forum and sounded like a classic case of needing a new evap canister. Ordered it and installed it today along with a new vapor canister valve. Didn’t find any loose charcoal in the hoses and the old evap canister didn’t rattle with loose charcoal. Went to test the install at the gas station, had the same gas fill issues. No CELs and I am pretty sure the install was successful. Any guesses what my next step should be?

As an aside, I checked my ODB and checked the emissions test. Saw this:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Software

This car passed two CA smogs in the last four months. I’m stumped. Car runs fine, mileage isn’t great but probably within normal range, and no CELs at all.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
Mine does this on occasion and I had the same thought.
Replaced the evap solenoid but not the canister as I wasn’t ready to cut the Mayan temple off yet, nor drop the whole rear.

I have noticed that certain style pumps work better than others and I sometimes have to adjust the angle of the nozzle to get it to accept gas.

once I find the “G spot” the gas flows freely.

so could be the evap canister on mine but I checked and blew out all the lines and it all seemed fine.

I have read here about the filler hose having an evap line and mention of it getting torn?

not sure how one goes about visually checking it though.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
390 Posts
Mine does this on occasion and I had the same thought.
Replaced the evap solenoid but not the canister as I wasn’t ready to cut the Mayan temple off yet, nor drop the whole rear.

I have noticed that certain style pumps work better than others and I sometimes have to adjust the angle of the nozzle to get it to accept gas.

once I find the “G spot” the gas flows freely.

so could be the evap canister on mine but I checked and blew out all the lines and it all seemed fine.

I have read here about the filler hose having an evap line and mention of it getting torn?

not sure how one goes about visually checking it though.
One crawls under the car and looks. I don't know if that's possible in the Solstice, but that's what I did on my son's Deville. Cleared it out with the dipstick, and the problem vanished.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Some folks have reported their filler neck flap had come loose and fallen down into the filler pipe, partially blocking it. Check if your flap still visible & present.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Some folks have reported their filler neck flap had come loose and fallen down into the filler pipe, partially blocking it. Check if your flap still visible & present.
Wait... hunh? I thought that was the whole thing with the gas cap having a flat rubber washer (as opposed to an o-ring). because there was no back-flow flap? err something somethin, no flap, gas cap something?
I am feeling very Blonde at the moment....

Cloud Plant Sky Blue Tree

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For those that have had the fuel filler flap issue, is there any issue on performance other than having to pump gas really slow? Is it obstructing the fuel pump or emissions system operations in any way?

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
For those that have had the fuel filler flap issue, is there any issue on performance other than having to pump gas really slow? Is it obstructing the fuel pump or emissions system operations in any way?
If the fuel filler flap issue is actually real, it would only affect filling the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Got out the camera. At least on my 2008 GXP there is no “flap”

Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Purple
Water Liquid Purple Petal Sky
Purple Automotive lighting Violet Sky Serveware

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So am I correct in assuming that if my fuel filler flap is lodged in my filler hose and is the reason I can't pump gas well, that the area circled in the picture is what needs to be removed and hopefully the filler cap is right there?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I guess also, are there any guesses on what my ODB is showing for catalyst, evap system, o2 sensor, and o2 heater? There are no CELs and I don't see any issues with operating performance. The evap canister is new. If it's electrical, would it not throw a fuse? Maybe replace fuse 33? Checked fuse 33, it's fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts