Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question on some other threads and not received a response as yet, so I thought maybe I could catch the attention of someone who knew, but had not seen the question on the other threads.

My Sol has been given the 3400 code and my dealer told me that it had been broadcast, he could not give me a good explaination what " broadcast " meant. Does anyone know the meaning of " Broadcast " in english, not GMense? Thanks. :willy:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Well, here is the dictionary definitions, but I don't see how any of it applies to a stage of automobile manufacturing.

broad·cast (brôdkast)
v. broad·cast or broad·cast·ed, broad·cast·ing, broad·casts
v.tr.
1. To transmit (a radio or television program) for public or general use.
2. To send out or communicate, especially by radio or television: "The agency broadcast an urgent appeal for medical supplies."
3. To make known over a wide area: broadcast rumors.
4. To sow (seed) over a wide area, especially by hand.
v.intr.
a. To transmit a radio or television program for public or general use.
b. To be on the air: "The station begins broadcasting at 6 a.m."
2. To participate in a radio or television program.
3. To send a transmission or signal; transmit.
n.
1. Transmission of a radio or television program or signal for public use.
a. A radio or television program: "watched the morning news broadcast."
b. The duration of such a program.
3. The act of scattering seed.
adj.
a. Communicated by means of television or radio.
b. Of or relating to television or radio communications: broadcast journalism; the print and broadcast media.
2. Widely known.
3. Scattered over a wide area.
adv.
In a scattered manner.

·
5,641 Posts
My best guess goes like this:

I believe the hard paper sheets sometime found in cars with production code infomation are called "broadcast sheets" (If I am correct they are sometimes refered to a "build sheets" and I think old Corvettes fans call them "tank sheets" as they are found stuffed up above the gas tanks) Think of them a instructions. They tell GMlinedog and the Wilmington team which parts to put on your cars.

Event code 3400/Broadcast would refer to the printing of these sheets. The last step before actual construction on a car. Like an internal factory order for the car, like a waitress putting your order up on the spinning wheel at the kitchen window.

Event code 3400/Broadcast would indicate that production is imminent. (Oh a vocabulary word)

As an indication of how the production may be in flux, I did see an order that was "3400" on the 12th move back to "3100" on the 13th.

As a side note (here in the middle), you may want to make a request to save any of these sheets that may happen to come in your Solstices for you scrapbook. Not sure if there will be any, but ask in advance. We save all these types things (including some of the shipping protection) for our GTOs in case any buyer may be interested. Others we send right to the service folders in case they maybe helpful identifing option and equipment during future repairs.

Sorry I have left this question hang out for a few days in different threads. I know it is my job to answer these type questions. Been a little busy at work :) . Also I have never really paid this much attention to the build process. A car was either built or not built in my mind. I never worried about the different degrees of not built.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, S.D. , you made my day, sounds like it won't be long now barring any problems. :thumbs:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe soon then?

Thanks SD, you also answered my question in another post. Glad to hear you are busy at work!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Something I just remembered my dealer told me the other day as I was checking in. she said that she called Solstice hq about some of the others having TPW's and I didn't they told her some of the first cars built will not have all the codes show up in the new system and something about them (1k) being set apart or being done off line. Not her exact words but it was something to the effect that they may be taken care of manually as opposed to everything being in the system. That could be because they had to go through the order system and find all the 1K cars, just my interpretation. What you really want to see is 4000, 4200 , and 5000. I believe that is built shipped and delivered.

·
5,641 Posts
The best is Event Code 6000, delivered to customer! :yesnod:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Small Dealer said:
My best guess goes like this:

I believe the hard paper sheets sometime found in cars with production code infomation are called "broadcast sheets" (If I am correct they are sometimes refered to a "build sheets" and I think old Corvettes fans call them "tank sheets" as they are found stuffed up above the gas tanks) Think of them a instructions. They tell GMlinedog and the Wilmington team which parts to put on your cars.

I didn't think GM was still making build sheets?

I know that in the mid 80s, they went to the RPO Sticker system (big sticker with a list of RPOs on the fender, or under the center console, etc...)

I had just assumed that all new GM plants use computer monitors to display the car's options / RPO selections.

For my 1981 TransAm, and the 1976 Camaro I used to own, I found both build sheets on top of the fuel tank! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Sorry I have left this question hang out for a few days in different threads. I know it is my job to answer these type questions. Been a little busy at work :) . Also I have never really paid this much attention to the build process. A car was either built or not built in my mind. I never worried about the different degrees of not built.

Big thanks SD, your answers are always much appreciated. I hope that being busy means more clams in your pocket for you and yours. Should we infer the incentive pricing will at least mean more money to you guys even if GM profiting from it is unclear?

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Small Dealer said:
... A car was either built or not built in my mind. I never worried about the different degrees of not built.
"There is no 'try'! There is either 'do' or 'not do'." :lol:

--Chemist

"You've been mostly dead all day!"

·
Registered
456 Posts
Broadcast

Small Dealer, your answer was right on. Broadcast sheets are delivered to each location in an assembly plant where processes are started or unique parts for each specific option need to be selected during the build process. These sheets are also attached to each auto so the production operator knows what color and options are ordered.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Big Question

Thank you very much for your help SD. It's fun whiching your car coming together. I orded my car on 1-10-06. My code is now 3400 .You have helped me understand the code better now. My so call produced is 1-08-07 . Again THANK YOU 1SGT :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Good News

My dealer called and give me great news . My new current event code 3800 PRODUCED . :willy: I have a vin number 123922 now . Now I need a delivery date . I'M only 900 mile from them . :brentil: ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE ???? :willy: 2 DAYS , WEEK , WEEKS . :leaving:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didn't think GM was still making build sheets?

I know that in the mid 80s, they went to the RPO Sticker system (big sticker with a list of RPOs on the fender, or under the center console, etc...)

I had just assumed that all new GM plants use computer monitors to display the car's options / RPO selections.

For my 1981 TransAm, and the 1976 Camaro I used to own, I found both build sheets on top of the fuel tank! :)

In the 4th gen F-bodies build sheets were left behind the rear seat. I made a point of retrieving mine from my 2001 SS to put into my file with all the other related paperwork that goes with ordering and taking delivery of a car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts