Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my local dealer that I do my once-a-year service on my Solstice closed shop in January. I spoke to my Buick dealer, who also once was a Pontiac dealer, about servicing my coupe. "Do you have the pucks to raise the car correctly", yada, yada. So I drive it over. Some nice talk from the older man in front of me, and 2 techs stop what they're doing to give it a walk-around. All nice things. Then, someone pulls up behind me in a GMC, and almost falls getting out of his truck. Asks me a ton of questions, mentions how he and his brother collect certain vehicles, and asks out loud, in the middle of the service area, what I need for the car. "Not for sale... It's probably going to my little girl once she gets older", I said, and thanked him, turning to walk away. "40 thousand... cash." He said he would have a cashier's check in one hour. He was serious. I thanked him again, but no.

True story.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There ya go. I don't even see many convertibles where I live here in Colorado. I went to Oregon 2 weeks ago and was there 3.5 days and saw 2 Skys and 1 Sol. I have yet to see a Coupe on the road here, a few verts here and there. I saw 2 Ferraris today though!!!! When my wife picked me up at the airport, on our trip back home we were stopped at a light (with lots of traffic) and someone with a black C6 vette wanted to go at it a bit (but my wife was driving and not into the macho racing stuff).

IF someone knows what you have, and perhaps they are a Pontiac/GM lover, they would know the details of this car and perhaps appreciate.

Edit: Oh, I also saw a 2007ish??? BMW Z4 coupe today near our house. I was in the Bronco though, not the coupe. Nice looking car, similar to the Sol, just a wee bit heavier, and more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
There ya go. I don't even see many convertibles where I live here in Colorado. I went to Oregon 2 weeks ago and was there 3.5 days and saw 2 Skys and 1 Sol. I have yet to see a Coupe on the road here, a few verts here and there. I saw 2 Ferraris today though!!!! When my wife picked me up at the airport, on our trip back home we were stopped at a light (with lots of traffic) and someone with a black C6 vette wanted to go at it a bit (but my wife was driving and not into the macho racing stuff).

IF someone knows what you have, and perhaps they are a Pontiac/GM lover, they would know the details of this car and perhaps appreciate.
We had six of us at the Golden Supercruise today. If you ever came out of isolation you could see 20 or 30 at one time.

At the nationals we had over 100 kappas on one cruise.

I spent last weekend with a coup in Moab. We have two in our club.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same thing my wife asked me when I got home and told her what happened... and, no, I didn't ask him for it. I probably wouldn't want to give him hope that I'd change my mind...

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Holding onto something because its personal value is higher than its monetary value, even in the face of a potential premium is not ignorance. Lets not make this a personal attack. It's just a good story.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Jeff. Also, we don't need the money. My wife may WANT the money, but she's only human...

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
He can have ours for $50K USD, of course that is good only the next thirty minutes and we will throw in a undercoat and sealant for no extra charge. YMMV :thumbs:

·
Registered
728 Posts
BS; I don't believe a word of it.. Only a fool would not sell at 40K, therefore, this is fantasy..

·
Registered
676 Posts
Holding onto something because its personal value is higher than its monetary value, even in the face of a potential premium is not ignorance. Lets not make this a personal attack. It's just a good story.
Its not a personal attack...I just dont believe it happened. As much as a coupe is rare, its not that rare.. IE there are 5-10 for sale on autotrader today. Average market value on a well maintained low mileage coupe is looking like 20-26k depending on the car.. and there are not very many people out there that wouldnt jump at the chance put 15k pure profit in their pocket. Not many solstice owners have a lambo and a maserati parked next to them, so yes I am skeptical.

According to his post 3 years ago, he paid 25k for it and it was basically brand new:

New member, on the fence. New '09 GXP Coupe "Mean" yellow. MSRP $35,120. Dealership is offering a $9,620 discount, selling for $25,500. Coupe has 20 miles on it, sitting in dealership. They're going to sell it to me as a "used" car... they took Pontiac's deal and received $7,000 for it.

Any reason to be leery of this? Still has full warranty and such. Help me out, 'cause I'm REALLY thinking of going for this...
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/should-i-buy-09-mean-gxp-coupe-61438/

So why is this car that important to you?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A couple of years ago some knucklehead walked up to me in the parking lot and asked if I would sell my Sky. I said no thanks and he then said: "Have you lost a job, a lot of people are losing their jobs. Are you sure you wouldn't want to sell for cash?"

A jerk is born every 30 seconds..............

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm laughing reading all of these comments. Pretty funny, actually, what a simple story about my Saturday morning brings forth. Oh I assure you the events are true. I'm actually proud to not even think about selling it to the person in question. I saved it from becoming a museum piece in a collection somewhere. That's what he and his brother have... a collection of cars they do not drive, or so I believe. I don't drive my coupe that often, but I DO drive it on nice days, service it and wax it to keep it looking as good as I can.

And for those of you all caught up on the monatary aspect of my story.... please, get a life. There is a LOT more to life than hoarding cash. It's a shame so many of you think this way.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I hope we can see #634 some day! ;) The only other 'Mean' Coupe I have seen had a blue Stripe on it. :brentil:

It was on the display floor @ MECCA III. :thumbs:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm laughing reading all of these comments. Pretty funny, actually, what a simple story about my Saturday morning brings forth. Oh I assure you the events are true. I'm actually proud to not even think about selling it to the person in question. I saved it from becoming a museum piece in a collection somewhere. That's what he and his brother have... a collection of cars they do not drive, or so I believe. I don't drive my coupe that often, but I DO drive it on nice days, service it and wax it to keep it looking as good as I can.

And for those of you all caught up on the monatary aspect of my story.... please, get a life. There is a LOT more to life than hoarding cash. It's a shame so many of you think this way.
I think you and Jeff said this best. Why is it that everything collectible has to be about MONEY? I don't think you plan on getting rich with this car, we certainly don't. Regardless, it IS colllectible since there WERE 1266 made, no more, just like Pontiac. Besides that, the car is beautiful IMO, can be a PITA IMO, and has a sewing machine motor that rocks 130HP/L totally stock and can easily be made to rock more than 150HP per litre (and even more torque which is crazy). not bad for an entry level sport coupe made in America.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I believe it because the reality is some folks have money to burn. Apparently this dealer is looking for them: 2009 Pontiac Solstice, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

BTW, I did call to verify the price because I thought it was a misprint; nada.
:willy:

A derivative of the Kappa is the upcoming Jag-u-ARE F-type (different league though).
Jaguar F-Type price to start at $139,000 | carsguide.com.au

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Reportedly Revealed In Patent Images | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

I see the F type as a valid reason GM should reconsider bringing the Kappa II back. It wouldn't compete w/the vette because Chevy puts performance over design and Jag places design over performance. Refine & sophisticate the Kappa II and sell it as a Buick Solstice.

Jaguar F-Type Forums - Jaguar F-Type General Discussion

·
Registered
848 Posts
I believe it because the reality is some folks have money to burn. Apparently this dealer is looking for them: 2009 Pontiac Solstice, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

BTW, I did call to verify the price because I thought it was a misprint; nada.
:willy:

A derivative of the Kappa is the upcoming Jag-u-ARE F-type (different league though).
Jaguar F-Type price to start at $139,000 | carsguide.com.au

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Reportedly Revealed In Patent Images | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

I see the F type as a valid reason GM should reconsider bringing the Kappa II back. It wouldn't compete w/the vette because Chevy puts performance over design and Jag places design over performance. Refine & sophisticate the Kappa II and sell it as a Buick Solstice.

Jaguar F-Type Forums - Jaguar F-Type General Discussion
I didn't look at exchange ratio but that must be aussie dollars. The base F type has an MSRP starting at $69k.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.