Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have owned a sports car in the past? In the 80's, I had a 76 MGB and in 97 I bought a new Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. I hope my Solstice is as much fun to drive as my MGB was. When I decided to buy the Solstice, I told my daughters. One of them decided she wanted my Spyder when I got the Solstice. Last summer she decided she didn't want to wait that long, so she talked me into trading her vehicles. I am now driving a 92 GMC Safari minivan with 170,000 miles and hoping I can hold it together until the Solstice arrives. Can't wait for summer. :cool

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
You are right SM, what he considers to be the definition of "sports car"?.
I can see it now, the thread will grow with people agreeing in what is and what is not a sports car. :smile

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solsticeman said:
Please define "sports car"?

Do you consider a Fiero such an animal? Are you considering "sprited front-wheel-drive" cars too?
When I think of a sports car, I imagine an open top, fun to drive vehicle, front or rear wheel drive. Yes, a hard top is also a sports car, but I was thinking roadster.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine are from long ago and far far away....

631/2 Mustang Convertible
65 Mustang Convertible
69 Camaro Convertible
and then the long dark night :smile

·
4,592 Posts
2 MGBs, a limited edition black and white one, and a cherry red one with chrome, don't remember the years.

I adopted a fiat spyder as well which was a real hoot. Been about 20 years since I've had those, not that I'm that old, I just started in grade school ;)

RODEO, a roadster lover again!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've got my 1978 Porsche 924. It's fun to drive, and fairly sporty. Not much power too it though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My prior sports cars:

66 E-type Jag roadster (my first and only roadster acquired used for $2000 in the 70s)

84 Alfa GTV-6 coupe (great sounding car)

99 BMW M3 coupe (great car but not enough NVH for a sports car and didn't look the part)

03 Nissan 350Z coupe (recently sold in preparation for aquiring a roadster)

·
Registered
141 Posts
A sports car is an automobile on which every component is expressly designed for the purpose of getting from point A to point B more rapidly.

I've always liked that definition. Of course, it's subject to certain debates, i.e. does a heater (for instance) enable a car to get from point A to point B more rapidly?

My previous sports cars are:

'70 Spitfire

'74 Fiat 124 Spider

'59 TR3A (still own)

'74 MGBGT

'99 Miata

I don't count my '86 Dodge Daytona or my '93 Probe GT as sports cars, although the Probe was close.

tcl, how did you like the GTV6? I always lusted for one of those.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
'58 MGA coupe......... High school, ten years old and falling apart but great fun to drive, downhill. But not a roadster.
'75 1/2 Datsun 280Z...Mulhuland & Koni suspension, wider tires and wheels. Handled and road like it had steel wheels on rails. Huge custom sun roof, but not a roadster. Traded it in on a new four door '81 Caprice and stuck with "sensible", family cars till
'92 Honda Civic SI..... Too many suspension and engine mods to list. Lots of fun but definitely not a roadster. Got totaled 2 months ago.
'94 Camaro B4C........ (ex-cop car)Understand now why my son used to drive it so fast. Fits Palmers definition (if you add a second priority to look good over function) but not a roadster. Will trade it in on
'05 Solstice.............. My first roadster! :cool

·
Registered
352 Posts
1969 firebird convertible with worked 350 (admitedly (sp) a pony car.
1976 turbocharged Lancia Scorpion
http://www.fototime.com/421B5678C440AA1/standard.jpg
1984 300Zx (stock)
1999 C5 corvette coupe (12 second quarter mile w/just a few bolt ons)
http://www.fototime.com/3E620593FA497E4/standard.jpg
2001 C5 Z06 (cam/headers/gears/TB/Intake) best car ever owned.
http://www.fototime.com/726FC53A025238F/standard.jpg

FWIW..each new generation of cars just keeps getting better and better. I believe the solstice will exceed your expectations for a sports car.

The solstice will revolutionize the industry. Its low cost structure and exciting good looks and performance is what I believe to be an exciting moment in time for enthusiasts..

The aftermarket should have a blast with this car. JMO

Good choice and hold out for this car. It'll be worth it.

JB

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
palmer said:
A sports car is an automobile on which every component is expressly designed for the purpose of getting from point A to point B more rapidly.

I've always liked that definition. Of course, it's subject to certain debates, i.e. does a heater (for instance) enable a car to get from point A to point B more rapidly?

A heater is necessary only if otherwise your heel-toe shifting becomes immpossible due to frostbite or you can't move your elbow enough to go from 3-4 or 4-3. Hmmm maybe the new Mustang convertible meets the definition head on - no heater is why the guy froze to death driving it.

The pony car examples, and I have had and still lust after them, should be considered 'sporty' cars and not true sports cars. A sports sedan or a sporty car do not a sports car make. The GTO based protype winners of the 24 hours of Daytona would be considered a sports car but not the GTO. NASCAR machines fit most of the criteria but are not sports cars (and not because there is a fixed roof, drop top is not mandatory for sports car definition, see: Triumph Spitfire GT6, Aston Martin DB5, MGA Coupe, MGB-GT, Cobra Daytona Coupe, Cheetah (now I've dated myself))

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Just my 88 Fiero Formula. It’s a hardtop coupe, but I consider it a sports car. With 2 seats and a mid mounted engine, I am not sure what else it would be!

·
Registered
533 Posts
palmer said:
.....tcl, how did you like the GTV6? I always lusted for one of those.
Nice car. Something about it made you feel good. Not sure whether it was the engine sound, the Italian aura, or both. It could have benefited from just a bit more power, and the steering was a little heavy at low speed compared to today's cars. Other than that, it was a fun car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Currently
1988 Fiero GT
2001 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition - Ok, it ain't a sports car, but it's about as close as you can get while still being a fwd sedan that can take your whole family on vacation.

In the past
1988 Celica GTS
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
1986 Corvette
1976 Plymouth Fury with a 440 Police Interceptor & Nitrous... again not really a sports car, but wow was it fun...

Never owned a 'vert. Lookin' forward to the experience.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never owned a sports car though I've driven some great examples, but I have had the good fortune to have had some great convertibles. 62 and 66 Lincoln Continental Convertibles, 65 Thunderbird convertible, and a 66 Cougar Convertible. I feel everyone should have a convertible at least once in their lives. Nothing like them. They do require more maintainence than a hardtop but it's not so very bad.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nope, never had a true sports car. Never wanted one either, until the Miata came out, but I never had the guts to buy one. That changed about three years ago when I rented one. I was planning to buy a Miata last year, and then I discovered the Solstice. :cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
nope :(

a "sports" sedan and a sport bike. no sports car.

i've always been torn between wanting a coupe and a roadster - i have many pros and cons for each but i figure that i've always loved 'verts (esp my best friends 99 mustang GT vert) and thought one day i'll have far too many responsibilities to justify a "me" car....so what the hell!

can't wait can't wait can't wait.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts