Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a beautiful spring day in the Great White North. My Sol is now on the road after a long winter sleep hence the recent flury of mods posts by yours truly. This one is as promised to my fellow tonneau'ers of recent threads. Attached pics show my adaptions / ideas:cool::

1) A carry / storage bag for the Tonneau - why this product did not come with one is beyond me. What are you to do with it when not in use? This is a Camera Tripod bag that I bought off of ebay for under $20.00. All of the tonneau pieces / parts fit in it. It will fit in the trunk space with Tonneau inside it and you can put travel bags on top of it. The Pontiac patch was an extra touch to make it rightous. I know I am off my meds?!?:willy: The smaller bag is the carry case for the GM Wind Restrictor

2) Being a tonneau'er my choice of Wind Restrictor is limited. After researching options this is the one that will work with the tonneau. The install instructions for it from GM say they are a fit. You just have to put two holes into it.:cryin: When I went down to Georgia to get my interior dialed up by Joe at JPM I had him do these two ringlets. As always he did a great job. The kicker is my one complaint with the tonneau is it would rise up at high speed and you could not see passenger mirror. With the Wind Restrictor installed the tonneau now stays as flat as a board.:thumbs: Would be nice if GM in their marketing of accessories could tell us this instead of me finding out by fluke.:cuss::devil:

3) Final pic is my cover for the metal snaps. I found plastic snap caps on ebay for boat covers. They fit perfectly and in my opinion look cool.:cool:
Problem is these are the only ones I have found that fit and they do not come in black. I spray painted them as you can see. However if you are caught in the rain or when you remove them the paint will come off of them. They come in a bag of twenty or so and cost $4.00. I spray painted all of them so I always have spares. I have gone to Wallmart, Home Depot, Canadain Tire etc and have not found any in black that fit. If anyone has better luck please let me know.

Hope you find this post interesting. :thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Nice Job and gives alternatives to use the Tonneau to those with the Fly Swatter. Not to my taste, but a goog job all arround.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Captain. That was exactly the purpose of my post. Your excellent thread has the solution for the non fly swatter wind restrictor.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Looks great!

And, now you realize how well the factory "Fly Swatter" works, just like I did!

Jim :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great!

And, now you realize how well the factory "Fly Swatter" works, just like I did!

Jim :cool:
Absolutely Jim!!! I love my " Fly Swatter". I think we are definitely in the minorty. But then, being a tonneau lover is also a very small fan club. Next thing I want to keep my eye out for will be two small black plugs to insert in tulip holes when "Fly Swatter" is not in use.:thumbs::)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I may have to re-assess the fly swatter. I currently have a Wind Restrictor version II and I need to remove it to put the tonneau on. I've looks at Captain Kludge's mods on the Ver. I WR, but that level of modification does not appeal to me.

I did try out the vent windows, as mentioned in other threads and it does not deter tonneau-lift. Generally, my tonneau stays in my closet :(

Great thread Northern Sol!

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have to re-assess the fly swatter. I currently have a Wind Restrictor version II and I need to remove it to put the tonneau on. I've looks at Captain Kludge's mods on the Ver. I WR, but that level of modification does not appeal to me.

I did try out the vent windows, as mentioned in other threads and it does not deter tonneau-lift. Generally, my tonneau stays in my closet :(

Great thread Northern Sol!
Thanks Caulairdis! As I mentioned earlier it was an incredible surprise/ bonus that when I started driving at high speed with the tonneau / GM Wind Restrictor together there was no lift. Tonneau rides flat as it should!!! Get that tonneau out of the closet!!! :willy::thumbs::cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I need advice on how to neatly store the drivers side cover with the snaps. Do you fold it under, wrap it around the two dingle berries hanging down in the center or what? If you do the latter, what is the easiest way?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I need advice on how to neatly store the drivers side cover with the snaps. Do you fold it under, wrap it around the two dingle berries hanging down in the center or what? If you do the latter, what is the easiest way?
Roll it (under-cloth on top) from the door to the center, then wrap the straps from the bottom to the snaps. OI don't separate the plastic clips, but you prolly can. pull the strap from the bottom to tighten. The WR and the weight of the roll keeps it from flapping. If you are talking about those padded bolsters the are on the front, I have no clue. I removed them:)

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roll it (under-cloth on top) from the door to the center, then wrap the straps from the bottom to the snaps. OI don't separate the plastic clips, but you prolly can. pull the strap from the bottom to tighten. The WR and the weight of the roll keeps it from flapping. If you are talking about those padded bolsters the are on the front, I have no clue. I removed them:)
The Captain has nailed it. With the padded thing-a-ma-jig one stays at the front closest to the passenger side which gives the cover height. Other part closest to you you include in the roll up or in the wrap with the tie. Same story on the back it will be a little longer you just kind of tuck it in an under. Bottom line just roll it up until you are past waterfall and just tuck in any pieces. It just sort of all works out.:cool::thumbs:;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I fold the driver's side dangleberry so it's in line with the driveshaft, I find that it acts like a spacer so the rolled cloth isn't touching the console

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have one but it's not installed yet, I really don't like the idea of drilling holes in the body four the snaps, how do you think Velcro would work instead? Was thinking of first installing some of the same type of paint protect or like that is on the deck lid where the top pops into the chrome then use Velcro there and on cover !

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a Sky tonneau. It is new and supposed to be complete. For a hundred dollars I could not resist. Part number is 17800057.

Does a complete tonneau 17800057 come with the "BOW. Convenience. 19154613" and "RIVET. Convenience. 19157418" ?
Take pictures of everything you received and I will tell you if anything is missing.
Going by memory for a Solstice tonneau.....
1) Two white bows that connect together
2) a plastic clasp that goes into the defogger vent in the centre of the dash just below windshield
3) lots of screw snaps and templates that show you where they go.
4) a metal piece with a snap on the end that goes under the rear passenger side aerial.

Did you get instructions with it?
NS

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one but it's not installed yet, I really don't like the idea of drilling holes in the body four the snaps, how do you think Velcro would work instead? Was thinking of first installing some of the same type of paint protect or like that is on the deck lid where the top pops into the chrome then use Velcro there and on cover !
Doubt Velcro would hold at speed. Also, I don't think Velcro will look very nice when tonneau is removed. The snaps look really cool with black caps on them when not in use.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have one that came with my car. Installed by the dealer. I have never put it on the car. I too hate the screws in the body, but as Northern Sol says, put the black caps on them, it makes it swallowable( not a word I am sure, but fits my feeling about the thing)

I am going to have to try it I guess. I am worried about it scratching the vent area in the Sky.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts