Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 GXP convertible has almost 2500 miles. Since about 500 miles, I have been noticing strange oil readings on my dipstick. Examples:

1) After driving the car and shutting it off, the dipstick reads full. When I wipe it off and check again, it reads full on 1 side only.

2) After a couple hundred miles of reading this way, I can check the dipstick again as stated in example 1, but oil will only register on the very bottom of the dipstick.

I changed my oil at 2000 miles and added a 4 1/2 quarts (did not change the filter since I changed it at 500 miles). The dipstick read full so I didn't add the final 1/2 quart. About 200 miles later, I noticed the dipstick reading as in example 2, so I added the 1/2 quart which gave me a full reading.

I thought "fine, that makes 5 quarts, so now I have a full oil change". Well, I drove about another 200 miles, and guess what? The dipstick read like example 2 again. This time, I slowly added a quart and the dipstick reads full again. So, to me, it appears that I am having excessively high oil consumption.

I have no oil leaks or drips on my garage floor. I crawled under the car and can see no evidence of oil leakage anywhere. I pulled off the intake tube going into the TB, and it is dry without any oil residue. I pulled a spark plug from one of the cylinders, and it looks normal, no oily soot indicating high oil consumption. I see no smoke coming from the exhaust.

I do have soot deposits on my lower rear bumper, which some on this forum say is normal for a direct injection engine. However, mine might be from oil consumption. I guess I'll have to take my car to the dealer and hope I won't be told something like "that's not excessive oil consumption", or "they all do that". I hope I am wrong, but many of the dealers make me cynical. It looks like I am using more than 1 quart per 500 miles! :brentil:

Anyone have any thoughts about what might be going on here? Small Dealer, I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My dipstic readings will change depending on the condition in which I check.

I wait 15 minutes after a hot shutdown to allow the oil to drop back to the bottom of the engine.

I'm pretty sure it would be easy to tell the diff between oil and soot on the bumper. If you were losing enough oil to coat the bumper, you'd likely see significat blue smoke.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i know the early ecotecs in the cavaliers and some of the early cobalt/ions had oil consumption issues, but i havnt heard anything about them in awhile, or in any of the new gen ecotec (lnf, le5, whatever the code is for the 58x crank 2.2)

·
Registered
107 Posts
changing oil without changing filter

I changed my oil at 2000 miles and added a 4 1/2 quarts (did not change the filter since I changed it at 500 miles). The dipstick read full so I didn't add the final 1/2 quart. About 200 miles later, I noticed the dipstick reading as in example 2, so I added the 1/2 quart which gave me a full reading.
I don't have an answer for your obvious oil loss, but just an observation. Since the Solstice oil filter drains down entirely (it's above the oil pan rather than in the same plane with it) when the engine has been at rest for a while, changing the oil without changing the filter always requires that 5 quarts be reinstalled in the engine. As to the oil loss, I'm at a loss. I have an '07 GXP and after almost 7000 miles there was not a detectable significant change of level on the dipstick. I always check mine after a night's rest so that all the oil has had a chance to drain down. That's the only way I know of to get an accurate reading, even on much older cars like my '70 GTO 455HO. The big V8's hold a lot of oil up in the lifter galleries and heads.
An old (unscrupulous) practice of some service stations (gives an idea how old I am) was to check the oil as soon as the engine was shut off and show the dipstick to the customer showing as much as a half quart low to get the customer to buy a quart. It worked almost all the time, especially with the ladies (no slight intended here ladies). Many times the customer would just say keep the rest because they did not want an open can of oil in the car and the station operator or attendant got himself free oil for his own car. In fact he kept almost all the oil because the engine did not need it in the first place.
Get the car into a good dealer for a check and best of luck.
grandpop07

·
Registered
228 Posts
Never had a car that is so difficult to get a clear reading on the dipstick.I always check 3 or 4 times before believing what I see.

"full on one side only" seems to me that maybe its read oil off of the side of the tube.
I agree with the "wait 15 mins after shutdown"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just heard from the dealership. I told them when I dropped it off, that if I sit at a light for a few minutes a big cloud of smoke is emitted from the exhaust when I pull away (I just discovered this last weekend). They spent over an hour checking out my car, and could not find the source of the oil leak. They called GM, and were told to replace the turbo. So it appears that they have admitted that there is a problem and are attempting to fix it.

I was told that it will take a week for the turbo to arrive. I'll keep everyone posted as the saga continues. :lurk:

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
Its also possible that you were over filling with oil. The motor does not like to be over filled and will find a way to get it out of there.

There are multiple safeguards on the motor to prevent any problems from low oil. you will get plenty of warning before there is any problem.

I have 21000 miles on my car and the wife is approaching 12000 with no problems.

Personally I recommend that you quit checking the oil and just drive the car. It sounds like you may be chasing the perfect oil level when there are too many variables to achieve perfection.

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough"

The oil level will change based on its temperature - hot oil expands - the position of the dip stick, is it all the way seated every time, time since shut down, has the oil filter drained down fully, has the turbo drained as much as it is going to drain, has the head drained down, is the car sitting level when you measure, . .. all can affect the measured level on the dip stick.

You are better off running a little low rather than a little high on the level.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am definitely not over filling the oil level. As I mentioned, I did another oil change just to confirm that. Also, once the oil level became 1 quart low, I started getting some valve train noise at start up. So, this is certainly an oil consumption problem. I have owned many cars over the last 30 years, and this is the first one that has ever used this much oil. I cannot ignore this issue without causing damage to my engine.

I do hope that the replacement turbo will solve the problem. At least the dealership agrees that there is an oil consumption issue.

I am not criticizing GM or the Solstice. I understand that with all mass production products, problems can occur during manufacture. I just hope this problem will be fixed and that I can continue enjoying this car for many years. :yesnod:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Ask them to do a compression test on all cylinders. I had a nissan, altho all 4 cylinders were within specs there was a big discrepansy between two adjesant cyl. 115 on on and 145 on the other three. I too put out a huge cloud of smoke after sitting idleling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good suggestion Critterman. When the dealership called, I asked them if they performed a compression and oil consumption test. The service advisor said "yes". So, to this point it seems like they have done their homework. I hope the new turbo is the right fix. It would be nice to get a free GMPP upgrade out of the deal for my inconvenience. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good suggestion Critterman. When the dealership called, I asked them if they performed a compression and oil consumption test. The service advisor said "yes". So, to this point it seems like they have done their homework. I hope the new turbo is the right fix. It would be nice to get a free GMPP upgrade out of the deal for my inconvenience. ;)
So what was the problem ?

Was the turbo ? or you finally changed pistons etc...

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts