Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetins from Anchorage Alaska!

I just bought an 06 Solstice Convertible with only 14.5k on the clock. I am pretty certain that it is bone stock and a lot of fun to drive! :thumbs:

What is the first things I need to know and be aware of with this car? Any quirks? Weaknesses?

Oh, and do the $69 performance chips actually do anything? :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome aboard !

Would replace the air filter and the oil & filter with quality products for a fresh start. Would also put in new plugs since they're likely 6 or 7 years old by now. Get under the back and take a look at the rear differential. Check to see if it's shiny dry and maybe rusty, or dark and greasy and has been leaking. Good luck.

Oh, and a negatory on the cheap "performance chips."

·
Registered
702 Posts

I just bought an 06 Solstice Convertible with only 14.5k on the clock. I am pretty certain that it is bone stock and a lot of fun to drive! :thumbs:

What is the first things I need to know and be aware of with this car? Any quirks? Weaknesses?
A couple of small quirks from the '09 owner's manual (don't know if these were printed in the '06 manual).

Do not open or close the hood unless both doors are closed. Otherwise you will scratch paint.

When you release the lever to open the top, leave the lever in the open position. Do not put the lever in the closed position and then fold the top into the trunk. You will damage the lever.

Have fun and welcome to the group!

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congrats on your kappa. Nice to see a picture too. Now, don't forget to take off that front plate and have fun fun!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!

I guess I had not had time to notice the license plate, it will be removed!

The rear diff looks clean. Probably due for a fluid change given the car's age.

Replaced the wiper blades today. Kinda strange having a 16" and a 22" wiper blade.

Looks like I may have to order an air cleaner. None of the bigger auto parts places stocked them.

Where is the best place to get touch up paint? Now for the really noob question, what is the full name of the color of my car? :)

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!

I guess I had not had time to notice the license plate, it will be removed!

The rear diff looks clean. Probably due for a fluid change given the car's age.

Replaced the wiper blades today. Kinda strange having a 16" and a 22" wiper blade.

Looks like I may have to order an air cleaner. None of the bigger auto parts places stocked them.

Where is the best place to get touch up paint? Now for the really noob question, what is the full name of the color of my car? :)
In Solstice terms your color is Sly.... the best color of course, others will attempt to tell you otherwise ;) ...

Congrats and welcome to the Permagrin! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts

Oh, and do the $69 performance chips actually do anything? :)

For a first Mod, I would say ditch the front plate...gotta go!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Had my 06 6-1/2 years now and they'll get it back when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. :thumbs:

Common newbie mistakes:

1. Don't ever put your full weight on the emergency brake when entering or getting out. It WILL bend.

2. When you close the trunk, don't push down on the humps. They WILL dent. I use the silver circle thingy, others stand behind the car and push in the center of the trunk between the humps.

3. As your brake pads wear, your e-brake will get weak, especially rolling backwards.

4. If you ever see --- on the dash info readout, the odds are 90% your thermostat is stuck open, 10% the temp sensor is bad. Both are a cheap fix, but kinda a pain in the ass.

5. When you drop the hood, make sure the doors are closed or you might get a nick on the front of the door. Especially if they are in the Mid-detent and not fully open.

6. If you do replace the fluid in the diff, figure out if the diff is limited slip and don't forget the additive if it is.

I'm sure others will chime in. Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Welcome....nice looking Sly you got there...:cool: :yesnod: :cool: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome

Hi. Welcome new Solstice owner!! I live in south Anchorage and have a 08 GXP.
I went to this years 4th of July parade in downtown Anchorage and their was a Miata club in the parade! I think a Soltice club (sky owners also) should be formed in Anchorage, imagine the club taking summer drives to Takeetna or Seward for burgers and brew or ??
I was wanting to start a on line meetup group want to help.
—…………………………………EMAIL ME @ [email protected]……………………………

1 - 20 of 20 Posts