Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Sol that I installed a turbo on recently, and after turning up the boost a bit the other day, I'm getting some major slippage with the stock clutch. It has 92k miles on it, so I figure it did it's duty. Now comes the hard part of finding a replacement that will hold my newfound power. I've been searching for hours and hours, and have come to the conclusion that I really don't want a lightweight flywheel as I'd rather not take the chance of the harmonics others have reported. Also, I'm a college student, so budget is to be considered.

The Exedy Stage 2 clutch is the cheapest option, but I've heard bad things about puck clutches on the street, and since this is my daily driver, I'd like to keep it as streetable as possible. I'm also worried about overpowering the clutch, as I'm running about 14psi with a 2871r. Does anyone have any experience with the Exedy?

Spec has the largest selection of clutches for our cars, but since I'm not willing to use their aluminum flywheel, Spec said I'd need either the 2+ or 3+ to hold the power. I've read wonderful things about the 3+, but there are still a few dissenters. The biggest problem I have with Spec is how expensive they are, as the 3+ is almost $200 more than the Exedy and the 2+ isn't far behind. Has anyone been able to use the stock flywheel with one of the non-SAC Spec models? It seems that if I could do that, I could use the cheaper stage 2.

So, really, I'm looking for advice as to which direction I should go. I plan on buying a new stock flywheel as they have been reported to be hard to machine. Will the Exedy hold up and be relatively easy to drive? Should I just pony up the money for the Spec 3+? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have an 06 Sol that I installed a turbo on recently, and after turning up the boost a bit the other day, I'm getting some major slippage with the stock clutch. It has 92k miles on it, so I figure it did it's duty. Now comes the hard part of finding a replacement that will hold my newfound power. I've been searching for hours and hours, and have come to the conclusion that I really don't want a lightweight flywheel as I'd rather not take the chance of the harmonics others have reported. Also, I'm a college student, so budget is to be considered.

The Exedy Stage 2 clutch is the cheapest option, but I've heard bad things about puck clutches on the street, and since this is my daily driver, I'd like to keep it as streetable as possible. I'm also worried about overpowering the clutch, as I'm running about 14psi with a 2871r. Does anyone have any experience with the Exedy?

Spec has the largest selection of clutches for our cars, but since I'm not willing to use their aluminum flywheel, Spec said I'd need either the 2+ or 3+ to hold the power. I've read wonderful things about the 3+, but there are still a few dissenters. The biggest problem I have with Spec is how expensive they are, as the 3+ is almost $200 more than the Exedy and the 2+ isn't far behind. Has anyone been able to use the stock flywheel with one of the non-SAC Spec models? It seems that if I could do that, I could use the cheaper stage 2.

So, really, I'm looking for advice as to which direction I should go. I plan on buying a new stock flywheel as they have been reported to be hard to machine. Will the Exedy hold up and be relatively easy to drive? Should I just pony up the money for the Spec 3+? Thanks for the help
I did a big lonely post on Solstice clutch options. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/2016-high-torque-clutch-kit-options-2-4-le5-ar5-129073/

14 turbo psi on the LE5 is powerful, more so if you run meth. How much timing do you have at 14 psi WOT?

My 06' LE5 turbo car came with the Exedy Stage 2, 3-puck clutch. Clutch feel was hard and with the spacer plate on the release actuator, it was applying the clutch (transferring torque) near the last 1/4" of clutch movement seemingly. I called it a digital clutch, because it was either on or off, kind of sarcastic but not far off.

The Exedy for certain held a lot of power, based on the sole fact it spun the rapters completely through 1st and 2nd gears if I kept the boost up for the shift to second. On power runs in higher gears and using datalogging, I had some unexplained anomalies I thought it was road conditions, but since they're gone after I went to Spec Stage 3, I attributed it to the Exedy clutch. In addition, the clutch would for sure slip in high gear if I go WOT then tap the clutch to slip intentionally, bad idea with my setup (I'm all self taught manual driver, no mentor, so this tapping the clutch at WOT may be a bad habit not condoned by the veterans, my goal is to press the back of my head against the backrest as hard and as quickly as possible, and this does that so that is why I do this). The Exedy was not blown out or fallen apart, the clutch was for sure beat on before I pulled it and it was still together.

As far as the non-SAC details on the Spec clutches, I have searched many hours and have given up. I saw the torque capacity was MUCH lower if you didn't use the Spec flywheel, not sure if this is a marketing gimmick because no one seems to know. I found just one post where a guy said he modified it to work with another AM flywheel, but it was an old post and there was no follow-up on his comment.

I went with the SPEC aluminum flywheel and it is SICK AWESOME I love it. It's got about 3k miles of abuse, there is chatter if I try to start out at like 2,000 rpms, but the car revs so damn fast it doesn't matter just give it a little more rpm and no more chatter. I also installed a performance trans mount, this helps arrest the chatter significantly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update on what I ended up doing in the end, and how that has suited me.

Thanks Steelmesh, I used your tune from the HPTuners repository as a jumping off point when I started my project, and respect your work into getting knowledge out to the community. I ended up going to a MAF only tune for simplicity's sake, and am running around 14* of timing on the top end, though I've lowered the boost just a hair for reliability. My car has been running strong for almost a year and a half without issue.

I ended up jumping all the way to the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch with a new, stock flywheel, and a custom slave spacer. I was scared by the stories I heard of chatter and resonance with lightweight flywheels. Unfortunately, even with a stock flywheel, the clutch still chatters fiercely, is much more digital than I am used to driving, and makes a horrendous racket when coasting in 4th gear and even slightly lugging the engine in 5th. It has really cut down on my enjoyment of the car to have to listen to a grinding, groaning, vibrating mess every time I let off the gas or barely accelerate in 5th. I was able to adapt a polyurethane transmission mount made for a Jeep to fit, which really cut down on the chatter, but it transmits even more NVH into the cabin, especially gear clatter in neutral.

So, while I haven't had the greatest experience with my SPEC clutch, I do have to say that their customer service has been fantastic (even if they haven't been able to help much), and the clutch has grabbed hard in every situation I have put it in. Oh, and the pedal feels only ever so slightly stiffer than stock, so traffic isn't fatiguing in the slightest.

One question I do have is if anyone has experience with mixing and matching clutch disks and pressure plates? I think the sprung hub of the SPEC disk is just too stiff, and if I could mix their stiffer than stock pressure plate with a stock or Exedy Stage 1 disk, it would give me sufficient holding power. SPEC has informed me that they use the same springs for all their stages of Solstice clutches, so simply going to a less extremely model shouldn't make much of a difference, and I don't particularly like what I hear about the engagement of the Exedy Stage 2. I know I could drop the money on the DDM Performance setup and be happy, it just happens to be right out of the budget for a college student like myself. So, if anyone can give some insight, it would be much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts