Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Solstice has developed a metallic "buzz" in the exhaust system when the car is first pulled out after it has sat for a period of time. I had the car to the dealer yesterday and they checked for loose hangers, brackets etc. The sales manager said that there is a bulletin out from GM about the buzz. The bulletin says not to replace anything at this time. The manager said that in his experience this means that GM is looking for a solution to the problem and will send out a new bulletin as soon as a fix is determined. After my initial pull out the buzz goes away. It sound very much like the sound I once had in a car that had a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter. It has not been a problem, I just thought I would pass on the info, expecially the part about GM looking for a solution. Happy driving! :)

·
5,641 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
The sales manager said that there is a bulletin out from GM about the buzz. The bulletin says not to replace anything at this time. The manager said that in his experience this means that GM is looking for a solution to the problem and will send out a new bulletin as soon as a fix is determined.
Should not depend on a "Sales Manager" for service infomation.

What the bulletin says is:

A customer may complain of a rattle noise, while accelerating, coming from the exhaust system. The noise may be described as metallic and is only noticeable during moderate to hard acceleration with a cold engine and exhaust system.

This noise is a characteristic of the Solstice exhaust system, has no effect on the durability or performance of the exhaust system, and should be considered normal.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: Yes-Implied
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Your description has me believing heat shield as well. If it goes away that quickly, I'd be inclined to believe it's up toward the front of the exhaust system (which gets hot within a matter of minutes and the metal would expand enough to stop rattling). The solution will probably be as simple as putting an extra pop-rivet in that heat shield.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD,
Thanks for the "correct" info.

·
Registered
245 Posts
maybe if they had some commercials for the solstice they may have been able to show us things like this before you got your cars.

I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN A SOLSTICE COMMERCIAL!!! :brentil: :brentil:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Small Dealer said:

A customer may complain of a rattle noise, while accelerating, coming from the exhaust system. The noise may be described as metallic and is only noticeable during moderate to hard acceleration with a cold engine and exhaust system.

This noise is a characteristic of the Solstice exhaust system, has no effect on the durability or performance of the exhaust system, and should be considered normal.
Hmmm... not sure how much I'm liking the fact that this TSB and one for the tranny are known as "features". Granted they aren't going to hurt anything, but still...

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Your description has me believing heat shield as well. If it goes away that quickly, I'd be inclined to believe it's up toward the front of the exhaust system (which gets hot within a matter of minutes and the metal would expand enough to stop rattling). The solution will probably be as simple as putting an extra pop-rivet in that heat shield.
:agree:
I owned a 1991 MR2, and I had the same issue. It was the heat shield and it was so bad that the dealer spot welded. I took it back 2 other times and the dealer finally put a new exhaust on it and never had any other problems. Man I miss that car! :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
THIS IS MY 200TH POST!!!

i plan on putting a stop to this little problem should it still exsist when i get my sol.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the issue is a small one. If it becomes a problem I'm certain GM will come out with a fix since they don't want this car to be known as having problems. We all want to own one of the first Solstices produced, we just have to remember that there will be quirks that may need to be straightened out. I'll take the quirks and move on. I'm still happy to have VIN #218 even with the exhaust buzz. This is a great car and in my opinion doesn't have any more quirks than my wife's Alero and hers is not a first year production vehicle.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I think the issue is a small one. If it becomes a problem I'm certain GM will come out with a fix since they don't want this car to be known as having problems. We all want to own one of the first Solstices produced, we just have to remember that there will be quirks that may need to be straightened out. I'll take the quirks and move on. I'm still happy to have VIN #218 even with the exhaust buzz. This is a great car and in my opinion doesn't have any more quirks than my wife's Alero and hers is not a first year production vehicle.
:agree:
However, if the "buzz" is anything like the one I had, then it iritated the #@!! out of me. :brentil:
Enjoy your Sol ... even the unique "features!" ;) I do not think a single person would consider that a "deal breaker." If it gets too loud, then that would be a great time to put the dual exhaust on. ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you replace the motor with a V8 the exhaust noise will be completely drown out by the sound of 4 extra cylinders. :lol:

I had a similar problem with my Acura Integra after a complete exhaust system upgrade. It only occurred when the car was cold (first started). After the exhaust warmed up the sound would go away. My fix, I had exhaust from the downpipe, including the cat. reinstalled and the problem went away for good. This type of problem is cause by the metal being at a certain angle that causes vibration when the system is cold. Changing the angle slightly of the connected pieces can reduce this cold vibration. Just my 2 cents. Put some miles on the car and let the exhaust expand and contract some more and it may works it way out.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My office is only a mile and a half from my house. The sound is only noticed on the first to second shift and sometimes on the second to third shift. The sound is completely gone before I'm at my office. I really don't think it's a problem. I just wanted everyone to know about it and to know not to worry. By the way, I've had my car for a week and a half and have 1007 miles on it. I've really been enjoying the ride. It's a great car. My youngest daughter (18) and I are going to a cruise this evening. She wants to show off "her" car. She can dream but it'll never happen. :lol:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Small Dealer said:

Can someone please post the TSB's numbers so that we could look them up (or link to them) via Alldata?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I can't find it anymore, but there was a link a while back to an official GM site for technicians that had all the bullitens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts