Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering a stainless steel manifold for my NA and I notice there is no heat shield with the new manifold. Is it necessary? will it help? Is the manifold shield to keep the manifold hot or the engine bay cool?

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Don't really think it's necessary I removed mine when I put my Solo header on . One thing I would recommend is having the manifold ceramic coated this will keep the heat down and a stainless header will discolor .The nice thing about the coating is that it's easy to keep clean once cool just needs to be wiped down and if it's real dirty I use Barkeeper's Friend liquid to clean it up . I have this coating on my turbo exhaust manifold and the headers on the Chevelle and they still look new . My powder coater charged me $150.00 for this and to me it's an excellent investment especially if your a detail freak like me .

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't really think it's necessary I removed mine when I put my Solo header on . One thing I would recommend is having the manifold ceramic coated this will keep the heat down and a stainless header will discolor .The nice thing about the coating is that it's easy to keep clean once cool just needs to be wiped down and if it's real dirty I use Barkeeper's Friend liquid to clean it up . I have this coating on my turbo exhaust manifold and the headers on the Chevelle and they still look new . My powder coater charged me $150.00 for this and to me it's an excellent investment especially if your a detail freak like me .
Thanks. I have used ceramic coating before and it really does improve the looks. will probably do these headers too.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I don't Bill but after doing my new wheels it really helped with trying to keep them clean. I do know the company that did it used heat in their application. Bending down to clean them wasn't bad but getting back up was getting harder.

·
Super Moderator
16,274 Posts
The overall thermal efficiency of the engine is improved by insulating the exhaust. If you look at the threads on this subject from the past it can be interesting

You can realize improvements in performance by insulating the entire exhaust system. I used thermal wrap on my car beginning at the headers all the way to the outlets. I left the cats open so they don’t over heat. You can have your headers coated by any of several companies or you can do it yourself using sprayvoatings from Eastwood. If you do it consider doing the inside and the outside. It provides improved exhaust velocity and efficiency. And if done correctly the insulation will reduce under hood temps which is a good thing

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The overall thermal efficiency of the engine is improved by insulating the exhaust. If you look at the threads on this subject from the past it can be interesting

You can realize improvements in performance by insulating the entire exhaust system. I used thermal wrap on my car beginning at the headers all the way to the outlets. I left the cats open so they don’t over heat. You can have your headers coated by any of several companies or you can do it yourself using sprayvoatings from Eastwood. If you do it consider doing the inside and the outside. It provides improved exhaust velocity and efficiency. And if done correctly the insulation will reduce under hood temps which is a good thing
Good info. Thanks Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts