Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, im looking to do a few custom home mods to my solstice gxp. What do you guys think removing the catalytic converter would do? would it cause and backfiring or exhaust flames? would the car actually lose power? whats your thought on it? thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
There are a number of members who have gone to a downpipe in place of the cat. As long as you preserve the O2 sensor locations and performance it seems to have no negative affects. If you look for downpipe threads you will probably find more specific answers to your question.

If you have the factory tune, then the ECM software will change the engine paramaters to achieve 260 ft pounds of torque and you will see only a transitory improvement. If you have the GMPP tune, then you will see between 14 and 18 HP increase as has been demonstrated many times over the years.

The catback and cold air intake mods have no impact on performance as the stock intake and exhaust after the cat are both not limiting on performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that actually helped me out a lot. i got the car off an insurance auction but my dad has the stage 2 gm tune and it seems to run stronger than his car. i have stock exhaust and all so id have to guess that its all in the tune?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, you willl need a tune-- I don't recommend going catless as the car becomes quite stinky... however- if you plan to go with an e85 tune, then the stinkiness is waaaaay more manageable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
does it really make the car smell bad? how bad are we talking?
Like unburnt fuel- its bad--- if there's wind it's not too bad, but if you're into suicide, via closed garage with the car on- you could do it REAL fast with a catless gxp.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I have a high flow Solo cat and the street race exhaust. My car is a little noisy, but it makes people respect me a little more!! LOL. I don't get challenged by every Mustang and WRX with it! :lol:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I'd say Solo has already done the R&D and has a drop-in solution...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Pull the CAT and the sensor from the cat, then blast the inside and screen with a M 1911 .45. One standard magizine of ammo should be adequate, then re-install. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I would just buy the solo cat and exhaust. These cars aren't like other cars you may have owned, where anything you do to them is okay. These cars are very precise machines and if something happens they don't like, they let you know about it. In other words, purchase parts that are reputable (usually not ebay) and that the guys on here know about. I've only had my car 5 months, but the guys here are the great and powerful Oz's when it comes to these cars! Anything you want to know, there is a search drop-down where you can search on the subject. If you can't find the answer to your question, they will be more then willing to help. Do the research on items before you spend your money. Ask questions.... I can tell you from experience with mine.... I have a CAI, you don't need one, the factory one is just as good. I have the high flow cat from solo and their street race exhaust (no muffler). If your going to put a tune in it, do the research. There are many good ones out there...Trifecta is what most here use. So, don't be afraid to ask questions. These cars are sophisticated machines, they aren't the 1970 Judge you see at the track!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ohh okay, thanks The Ghost. I appreciate your help. So basically the car might get mad from removing the cat and give me check engine and such?

·
Registered
628 Posts
ohh okay, thanks The Ghost. I appreciate your help. So basically the car might get mad from removing the cat and give me check engine and such?
Yea- not mention it'll run like crap... if it's tuned you won't get a check engine light, but then you'll have that rancid gas smell... bro it's awful.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
One more thing. Are you going to change the exhaust and cat for better sound or more horsepower and torque? If you are doing it for more hp and torque, don't waste your money unless you plan on getting an aftermarket tune. The car will learn back down to the HP and torque unless you put a tune in it. The ECM automatically learns back down unless you have an aftermarket tune. So in other words, if you have a GXP and you do some mods without a tune, it will relearn and move the hp back to 260 and the torque to 260 as well.

If you are getting a tune, then solo does a great job with their high-flow cat and their exhaust systems. I wouldn't eliminate the cat. Just my :jm2c:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts