Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in Michigan last week and I went to the wherehouse that stores GM's show cars. They were moving cars around for the Woodward Dream Cruise and they had to move the protoype Solstice (the one without the body) the guy started it and it sounded great. Hopefully the production one
won't stray far from the sound the protoype had.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Good to know! Hopefully it sounds just as good in the open air as it did in that warehouse where it may have been aided by reverb from the walls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the guy moved it he just gave it slight throttle, as he only had to move it a little bit. There might have been a little reverberation, but very little as it was very close to the open bay door.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
61BelAir said:
When the guy moved it he just gave it slight throttle, as he only had to move it a little bit. There might have been a little reverberation, but very little as it was very close to the open bay door.
You couldn't have slipped him a few bucks to get on the gas or give you a ride? :jester I'm really interested to know how the exhaust note turns out too, I think it's really important for a sportscar's appeal. I know from my own experience that both Mazda and Ford have really blown it in this area with the Miata and Thunderbird.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AeroDave said:
You couldn't have slipped him a few bucks to get on the gas or give you a ride? :jester I'm really interested to know how the exhaust note turns out too, I think it's really important for a sportscar's appeal. I know from my own experience that both Mazda and Ford have really blown it in this area with the Miata and Thunderbird.
I would have had to have brought a few thousand dollars! They had approximately a couple hundred show and concept cars for i'd say probably the last 40 years. They had the Cadillac Sixteen there, the Nomad. Tucked into the corner was a 959 Porsche. Oh man....it was a dream garage.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2 1/2 years ago, I got a chance to sneak into that garage. FOAFOAF thing.

The stuff I saw!!!! It was my own, personal, AUTO SHOW!!!

When I got to the way back of the REALLY SECURE building, looking under the covers of car-after-car, I got called out and we were shooed on our way.

It was there that I saw the 2000 Solstice show car, the old Saturn Sky and the Buick Bengal parked nose to tail, in front of the older Corvette Concept (the one that looked kinda like an F-car, sort-of). They keep a LOT of stuff there.

Thanks for reminding me... I had never seen the 1990 concept Fiero up close before, and I had never seen the 1987 Convertible Fiero before at all.

Further back, the old Banshee. An ancient (late 80's?) Concept Oldsmobile (get this, now) "Aztec" with a mid-engine EXPOSED Quad-4 valve cover...

Probably saw 70 different concepts and such there, plus another building with many of the nostalgic cars (like mint condition old GTO's, Chevelles, BelAirs, even an REO Speedwagon or two). Jeez. Now I wanna go back. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:

When I got to the way back of the REALLY SECURE building, looking under the covers of car-after-car, I got called out and we were shooed on our way.

It was there that I saw the 2000 Solstice show car, the old Saturn Sky and the Buick Bengal parked nose to tail, in front of the older Corvette Concept (the one that looked kinda like an F-car, sort-of). They keep a LOT of stuff there.

Thanks for reminding me... I had never seen the 1990 concept Fiero up close before, and I had never seen the 1987 Convertible Fiero before at all.

Further back, the old Banshee. An ancient (late 80's?) Concept Oldsmobile (get this, now) "Aztec" with a mid-engine EXPOSED Quad-4 valve cover...

Probably saw 70 different concepts and such there, plus another building with many of the nostalgic cars (like mint condition old GTO's, Chevelles, BelAirs, even an REO Speedwagon or two). Jeez. Now I wanna go back. Hmmmm.
They should set it up as storage/museum and charge addmission. I'd go! What great PR that could be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AeroDave said:
They should set it up as storage/museum and charge addmission. I'd go! What great PR that could be.
Me too. I would have loved to stay there all day and peek under all the covers but I had to get back to work......oh well......maybe next time

·
Registered
37 Posts
A lot of the concept cars (old and new) were at the "Eyes on Design" auto show, in June 2003, at the Tech Center. Ford and DCX also had some old concept cars there, although not nearly as many as GM did. You even could ride in some of the cars for an additional fee. I saw someone driving the Sixteen that day, which was pretty cool.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I would give just about anything to get into their storage facility for a day!! :D Its good to hear the exhaust sounded good. I also hope they make it sound great on the production car!

solsticeman said:

A little off topic, did you happen to make it to the Fiero 20th event last year in Pontiac? GM rolled out all their Fiero prototypes, the 1990, a convertable, a turbo, the stretched Fiero with a back seat, and actual Indy pace car (not a replica) and a couple other one-offs. It was awesome! They were also opening up the 1990 proto, letting people sit in it (interior was about the same but it had a guage cluster much closer to a 94-02 Firebird) and some other minor details, and it also had a 3.2L DOHC motor in it!! It was awesome to let these things out for the show!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
61BelAir said:
I was just in Michigan last week and I went to the wherehouse that stores GM's show cars. They were moving cars around for the Woodward Dream Cruise and they had to move the protoype Solstice (the one without the body) the guy started it and it sounded great. Hopefully the production one
won't stray far from the sound the protoype had.
Thanks for the update, great to hear. One of the England mule articles also mentioned a good exhaust note.

·
Registered
535 Posts
solsticeman said:
Oldsmobile Banshee? I remember an old '72 banshee, but wasn't the 80's one the '88 Pontiac Banshee?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I dug up this on the '72 Olds Banshee...

http://www.442.com/articles/banshee.html

Of the 80's Olds concepts, the only notable one I can find info on is the Olds Aerotech series, of which there was a couple. One of them did have a quad 4 in it, although I cannot find anything to indicate where in the chasis the engine was.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I dug up this on the '72 Olds Banshee...

http://www.442.com/articles/banshee.html

Of the 80's Olds concepts, the only notable one I can find info on is the Olds Aerotech series, of which there was a couple. One of them did have a quad 4 in it, although I cannot find anything to indicate where in the chasis the engine was.
Now, the Olds Aerotech I could see mistaking for the Banshee. I'm pretty sure that was built specifically to showcase the Quad4's abilities. They achieved some 200+mph on an oval with that bad boy.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yah,

The Pontiac Banshee was there, the Oldsmobile concept that I hadn't seen before (Aztec? Maybe it was called the Inca?) which was very distinctive because it had doorglass BELOW the beltline as well as normal door glass, and featured the Quad-4 engine cover in a mid-engine configuration.

I know what the Aerotech is. And it was there, in the back, too, now that you reminded me. Or at least the long-tailed version (there were two built). The short tailed version may be at the R.E. Olds museum in Lansing.

I actually had a chance to see, sit in, and look at - as well as listen to - the short tail Aerotech. I even got to shake Foyt's hand and talk to him - for, oh, about two seconds...

something like:

Me: "oh WOW! AJ Foyt!", as I stick out hand.
Foyt: "Yep." shakes my hand. Walks away.

Heh. Friendly guy.

It was probably back about 15 years ago or so when I saw it. The Aerotech is a mid-engine Quad-4 (sort of) 800 hp RWD monster. The engine was "sort of" a Quad-4 in that the bore spacing and valve angles were the same as a Quad-4. AND the exhast and intake configuations were sort of like a Quad-4 (but not really) and it had the Quad-4 ignition cover. But the block was cut out of billet aluminum, and the block was also a structural member as part of the chassis. I forgot to mention it was a twin-turbo. Small modification, that one.

The downforce generated by the short-tailed Aerotech passing by at speed created enough vaccuum underneath to unseat pieces of the soft pavement sealer as it passed - not to mention lots of little pieces of debris that would jump into the air when it passed.

A couple of years after that, they repainted one of them and put it in a Stallone movie - Demolition Man, I think. Along with a classic Olds 442 W-38.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Now that I think of it, I think it was called the Oldsmobile Inca, or something like that. I'm pretty sure it was a concept car by pininfarina, but something is itching at me like that's not right. Maybe it was some other Italian design company.

I know it featured a transverse mid-engine QUAD-4 configuration as a 4 seater - it looked like the engine cover was exposed to the passengers - big black cover with a machined "QUAD-4 DOHC" on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts