Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know, I'm stretching it, but we're running out of thread ideas until we get more hard facts. Anyhow, I know that one thing that is important to the overall driving experience of a car is the exhaust note or sound. When I travel I often rent Miatas or Thunderbirds and both those cars are dissapointing in the exhaust sound (among other things). The Miata sounds like a Deawoo, and the Thunderbird sounds like the Lincoln it comes from.

So I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion, what FOUR cylinder car and or exhaust system would you like the Solstice to sound like. This is not intended to be a technical discussion on exhaust theory and performance, just sound asthetics. Also how loud would you like it? From sewing machine with a pillow over it to uncorked motorboat. I know I have to think about it because it's hard to discribe exhaust sounds. We'll see were this goes.. :cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nicest sound I ever heard from a 4cyl was an Ariel Square Four followed by a Miller but generally do not care much for the 4 cyl exhaust sound, a six is much better, a Columbo Jag on bananas or Corvair on trombones is heaven and my Fiero isn't bad.

As for sound level, how about resurecting the Pontiac VOE (vaccuum operated exhaust). Silent cruise but talks to you if you stand on it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
padgett said:
Nicest sound I ever heard from a 4cyl was an Ariel Square Four followed by a Miller but generally do not care much for the 4 cyl exhaust sound, a six is much better, a Columbo Jag on bananas or Corvair on trombones is heaven and my Fiero isn't bad.

As for sound level, how about resurecting the Pontiac VOE (vaccuum operated exhaust). Silent cruise but talks to you if you stand on it.
I agree with the Square Four, love those bikes, just can't afford em. All the cool exhaust sounds I keep thinking of are either 6 or 8 or 12 cylinder cars. I started thinking about bikes too. Something like the classic Japanese crotch rocket sound, but tuned deeper so it doesn't sound like a bike. I'm hoping someone will come up with a suggestion and I'll go, "That's it!".

The Pontiac VOE sounds interesting. What cars were those on? I guess at low vacuum settings it must have opened a valve to allow the exhaust to bypass the muffler?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Maybe this is sacrilege, but I rather like the sound of the S2000 (2004). Got to drive one at a honda dealership this last weekend. Very frenetic, but I kind of like it - especially when you zip up past 6500 RPM.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Lotus Elise.

revision: make that the US shores Lotus Elise with the Toyota engine, not the domestic Rover-engined version. Haven't heard it in person, but it sounded pretty sweet on the latest episode of "MotorWeek"

·
Registered
533 Posts
There were some nice sounding 4 cylinder Ferraris from the 1950's shown on Victory by Design (for those that get the Speed Channel or ordered the DVD). I wasn't aware that Ferrari ever made a 4 cylinder engine until I saw that show. I also think some of the older 4 cylinder Alfa Spiders had a nice exhaust sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The sweetest sound

Thanks for this site first and formost to the guy that has set it up. "Thanks"

The sweetest sound from a four cylender comes from an old Offenhauser with open pipes.

Let her warm up and somewhere between quick idle and before it gets up into the higher RPM band she has a wonderful popping crackle.

My old age is showing but in the fifties, that was the motor I could have killed for in an open roadster. Beautiful!

And lets keep this machine simple,

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
For 4 cylindars, used to like the sound of the 750 Hondas back in the 70's. Worked in a parking garage and enjoyed it when it rolled in. Don't know how they got such a low, mellow sound at idle from just 750 cc. Almost as sweet as a Jag V-12.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts