21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
My opinion : So what I gather from this is that you are taking a perfectly good car and stripping it down to junkyard material so you can emulate those idiots on Roadkill how sad ! To add I've always felt that the purpose of this forum was to maintain ,upgrade and preserve Kappas not destroy them oh well to each his own .

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Was there any type of structure under or around those humps? Your pictures show nothing exists!
Nope. Nothing other than shown in the photos - a lightweight double bump piece of square-section tubing. Nothing sufficient to support the car after a rollover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nope. Nothing other than shown in the photos - a lightweight double bump piece of square-section tubing. Nothing sufficient to support the car after a rollover.
Correct, you would not want to roll over in this thing without a proper roll bar/cage.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
My opinion : So what I gather from this is that you are taking a perfectly good car and stripping it down to junkyard material so you can emulate those idiots on Roadkill how sad ! To add I've always felt that the purpose of this forum was to maintain ,upgrade and preserve Kappas not destroy them oh well to each his own .
I'm enjoying this thread!

It's a low price/high miles car and the parts being stripped off will help keep other Sols on the road for years to come. It's a worthwhile endeavor!

:lurk:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Here is what were shooting for with the final product. A naked, street legal Kart. And yes, we love those idiots on Roadkill
While I respect any comments about saving these cars and I wouldn't do this to my GXP, I do find it interesting and entertaining. The picture that you posted of your "goal" is pretty cool. It isn't like these cars are "collectible" and I remember tearing up some cars when I was young. I had a friend who put a small block chevy in an Austin Healey (in the 60s) and I read about this chicken farmer in Texas who put a ford V8 in a perfectly good (and now collectible) little British car. That chicken farmer ended up putting an even bigger V8 in that little car, added huge tires and cartoonish fender flares that some people seemed to love. I liked the original little British car better. So to each his own and have some fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
While I respect any comments about saving these cars and I wouldn't do this to my GXP, I do find it interesting and entertaining. The picture that you posted of your "goal" is pretty cool. It isn't like these cars are "collectible" and I remember tearing up some cars when I was young. I had a friend who put a small block chevy in an Austin Healey (in the 60s) and I read about this chicken farmer in Texas who put a ford V8 in a perfectly good (and now collectible) little British car. That chicken farmer ended up putting an even bigger V8 in that little car, added huge tires and cartoonish fender flares that some people seemed to love. I liked the original little British car better. So to each his own and have some fun.
An Ariel atom is about $70-100k right now depending on options. This should deliver at least half the performance and thrill on a shoestring budget of only $5k USD.
https://www.arielna.com/make-it-yours/#For-Sale

We've been joking that the car cut up, caged, and completed, will actually be worth more money than we purchased it originally for as the complete GXP :)

As others also pointed out, this was not a low mileage beauty queen, it's a 107k mile car that was owned by a younger gentleman in his early 20's and was well used and rough around the edges, making it a perfect candidate for this project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I say go for it! I hope you'll add a little more cowling and mudguards vs. the example you showed in the picture, though. :)

Yes, it will be one of those 'try and see how it works' and modify as needed. We are thinking we will need fenders as well, maybe using a cool motorcycle/chopper type fender. We want to be able to road trip the thing, so need to not be killed by flying rocks as we go lol.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've seen this car in person. I've seen nicer flood cars! Not too mention that some of the frame has rust so that's going to take some work as well. The interior was a tired and would need redoing...And while the body wasn't taken care of, the pieces he's selling will make nice repair pieces for someone that doesn't want to total their baby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If anyone is interested, here is a list of parts we still have for sale as of today. I do have a truck and trailer if someone local needs help getting the larger parts home like doors, hood, or trunk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
How about a Polaris Slingshot? Comes with a Solstice engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
How about a Polaris Slingshot? Comes with a Solstice engine.
I really dig the Slingshot and wouldn't mind owning one. The problem is the cost.

$20k-25k depending on options. Absolutely crazy. Even used they are pricey as they seem to hold their value well.

My point of reference is that today I can buy a C6 vette with well under 100k miles for only $15k-20k and have way better all around performance.

With this death kart project, I think we can be 'all in', completed for only around $5k so fiscally this makes much more sense to me.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts