Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from the Netherlands and I would love to buy a Solstice. The problem is that GM is not going to export the Solstice to Europe. So I am thinking about importing the car from the USA. That is not easy! First of all it is impossible to import direct to Holland, because for registration overhere I need a sort of certificate of originality which is only issued for cars that have a Dutch road approval. The alternative is to import the car to Germany, have it tested and registered overthere and then import it to the Netherlands as a German car! Because Germany and the Netherlands are both members of the European Economic Community, a car that is registered in Germany must be accepted in the Netherlands too. So that's what I intend to do.
Leaves me with one problem: THE HEADLIGHTS. In the USA you have the so-called "sealed-beam" headlights, which have a beam to the left and right in a symmetric diverging bundle of light. The European headlights (there should be an "E" or "E1" mark in the glass of the headlight) shine straight ahead and to the right in order not to blind the driver coming towards you. So I need to know if the Solstice have european approved headlights or I will have to find a way to modify them. Is the headlight a complete unit or can it be taken apart and can I put a standard round headlight in it (like all the older cars have) with a European approval?
Another problem appeared reading one of the Solstice-forums: the European Pedestrian Protection Legislation (I don't know what idiots are waisting their time over nothing in their EEC offices in Brussels). I wonder if this legislation is already active and if it is if it affects importing an individual "second hand" car by a private person.

Does anyone have any answers or thoughts about this. Thanks for your help. Friendly greetings from the Netherlands, Pieter

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi There Pieter and welcome to the Forum. If no one in the forum is able to answer your questions let me know. I've a friend that lives in Munich and should be able to answer those questions. Just pm me and I'll shoot off an email to him, if he's not on holiday he typically replies right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Michael, thanks for your quick reply. Maybe it is a good idea anyway to ask your friend in Germany about this. Any info on the matter of headlights and the pedestrian-thing is helpfull. Because, as you can imagine, if I can't get the solstice road legal overhere, it is no use importing one.
Thanks for your help and friendly greetings,

Pieter

PS. Are you already the proud owner of a Solstice? If so could you send me a picture of the engine ID sticker that is probably underneath the hood. That way I can check if they know the engine and its emmission values here in Europe. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Pieter,

I sent you a PM through the forum mail system. I am in the same situation, wanting to import a solstice in The Netherlands.

Cheers...

René

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wow! People going to all this trouble to import an American car through Germany. This car does have an amazing grip on people. Good luck getting it done smoothly.

As for the headlights, pretty much all cars will have a set of multiple screws that will allow you to adjust the aim of the headlights. It's a very simple operation and I'm certain it would be no problem to align them to adapt to the side of the road situation. Also, even though I don't think the type of beam should cause you a problem, I feel confident that if for some reason you needed to change them, that it would not be too much of a problem for somebody to find a similar light from another car and adapt it to fit the housing in the Sol. That might take a good body shop familiar with metal work to do it right, but it certainly should be a very minor detail considering the other lengths you are taking to get the car. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
pieter and zonnewende, I've sent off an email to my friend in Germany. I'll post his reply when I receive it. Good luck to you both. It'll be a handsome car there.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
A Solstice in Europe has got to turn some heads! :cool: There is a member shipping his to England. Maybe they have the same regulations too. His name is Frosty . He even listed all the freight charges to get it shipped over there. Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am getting mine shipped to the UK. Below my signature is the prices I am paying. I do have an easier time because I fall under the visiting forces regulations for the UK. I wish you luck, but I have very little information to offer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
pieter,

Regarding the headlights, they are not a 'sealed beam' style anymore. They use the same type of bayonette mount halogen bulbs that are found in many European vehicles. My experience from importing European E code headlamps for VW's tells me that the difference between US spec headlights and E Codes is to be found in the lamp reflectors. Evidently the reflectors used in E Code headlight assemblies cast a narrower beam further down the road.

As to the aim, SlySol is correct in that they all (Euro and US) have built in adjustment. Coverting the Sol's headlights to E Code would not be an easy matter though, IMO. On the other hand, with Opel considering their own version, you may want to contact their engineering department to see if they have somthing in the works or know of an easy(ish) solution.

All of that having been said, your first hurdle will be buying a non-export car for export. From the perspective of a Pontiac Dealer, if they knowingly sell a car for export there could be big trouble with GM. You may have to go through a third party to get that done.

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but this topic directly applies to me in the next 6 months but there was never any results posted about costs and modifications needed and how they accomplished. Can anyone follow up with details about their export story?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
import

Hi Pieter, there is a guy in Germany that wanted to try shipping his Opel GT to the USA . I think his screen name is Ironhide. Maybe if you wanted an Opel GT you could buy his . He is looking to move to the USA and it would be Cheaper for both cause He could buy a Sky Redline over here . Unless you are set on the solstice you might want to try looking him up on the KPF.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Pieter My Friend in Germany ask me to give you this to check out . He said they Import and convert USA cars .They helped him with his Opel GT to.

Home

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
OH WOW I feel Dah :( guess I better start Looking at the Dates :brentil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts