Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never purchased an extended service warranty on a car before but because this is a first year production model, I just might consider it. Anyone else thinking this way too?

What is the standard warranty on the Solstice? Is it 36 months/36,000 miles or 5 years/50,000? If it's the latter I probably won't go the extended warranty route as I don't anticipate putting more than 7500 miles a year on the car.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 36 months/36k miles, near the end of the warranty I'll shop around for a dealer who can give me the best deal on an extended warranty.

·
Registered
705 Posts
As a matter of course I do not buy extended warranty's on anything. If you add up all the potential warranty purchases I've saved significantly more not buying them than I could ever have saved with them. The dealer gave me such a great 'deal' on an extended warranty on my last Pontiac that I felt I had to violate my #1 rule and go ahead with it. Wouldn't you know...the very first required repair was past the original warranty and it was NOT COVERED!!! Broke a pull handle on a lift gate, 'sorry, trim is not covered'. :brentil: This is a GM warranty to boot!

A good friend of mine bought an extended warranty on an Acura and the company that backed it went out of business. His dealer would not stand behind the warranty they pushed on him! Seems the only guaranty with a warranty is you will pay, they won't!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I'm pretty sure it's 36 months/36k miles, near the end of the warranty I'll shop around for a dealer who can give me the best deal on an extended warranty.
The dealer who sold you the car will try very hard to sell you an extended warranty when you pickup the car. He will likely throw in a years worth of oil changes to sweeten the deal. A word of caution; be certain you know who the warranty is through. Just because your dealer is selling it to you doesn’t mean it is through GM. The dealer will push the extended warranty that makes him the most $$. I had one Chevy dealer never even mention a GM warranty. Personally, I’m not sure I’d buy a warranty through anybody except GM. I learned first hand, (the only extended warranty I ever purchased) these other companies will nickel and dime you to death in an effort to avoid paying fro repairs. You might want to research extended warranties in advance so that when you finalize the car deal, you will be better educated as to whether or not your dealer is giving you a good deal on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I never purchase extended warranties either so let me rephrase the question. Do you think it makes sense in this case to buy an extended warranty through GM and GM only on the Solstice because it is a first year production car or do think most of the problems will shake out during the first 36,000 miles and be covered by the standard warranty.

What are you planning on doing?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Pterosaur said:
As a matter of course I do not buy extended warranty's on anything. If you add up all the potential warranty purchases I've saved significantly more not buying them than I could ever have saved with them. The dealer gave me such a great 'deal' on an extended warranty on my last Pontiac that I felt I had to violate my #1 rule and go ahead with it. Wouldn't you know...the very first required repair was past the original warranty and it was NOT COVERED!!! Broke a pull handle on a lift gate, 'sorry, trim is not covered'. :brentil:
Like you, I never bought an extended warranty. Fortunately, the one time I did, it paid off. I use my 2000 Grand Prix to drive to and from work each day. I put 25K miles on it a year. Needless to say, the GM warranty ran out real quickly. I purchased and extended warranty that would cover the car up to 100K miles. Around 70K miles the transmission blew. They put a new, not rebuilt transmission in the car. Talk about saving big $$

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
SolGeezer said:
I agree, I never purchase extended warranties either so let me rephrase the question. Do you think it makes sense in this case to buy an extended warranty through GM and GM only on the Solstice because it is a first year production car or do think most of the problems will shake out during the first 36,000 miles and be covered by the standard warranty.

I do not see myself buying an extended warranty on this car. For me, it is a pleasure vehicle - One which will be used mostly during the nice weather when I can go “topless”. I live in Connecticut, so it will be garaged during the winter months. I see the 3 years happening before the 36K miles. I think that will be good enough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say that I am strongly considering it for those reasons. I've only had one Pontiac (a 1984 Firebird). I loved the car but I had to have the engine replaced at around 60 K miles. Of course I was a lot younger then and a lot harder on cars then I am now.

Thank you for the warnings about dealers trying to push warranties that GM may or may not honor. I would only consider buying a GM extended service warranty through a GM dealer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ALWAYS buy the GMPP warenty. It's saved my ass so many times... I've probably saved 20K. The warenty is only 3K. But you can expect after year 4 to at least have had 1 or 2 engine problems, catalytic converter problems, 1 tranny problem, or at least some electical. When I bought my Trans Am, I bought the warenty. The only thing I ever need the factory warenty for was a side pannel my friend broke. However, 1 month after my factory went out, my check engine light when on. GM had to replace my catalytic converter. Took them 1 hour and they did it all, (A grand total of $900) all covered by my extended warenty. Also, I had some very strange suspension problems, but that's also taken care of. (A grand total of $1200) all covered by my extended warenty. I have 3 more years left on the GMPP. I don't know whats going to happen until then, but at least I feel safe it the fact I've got it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
SolGeezer said:

I would wait! I think a couple years afterward you will know if there are going to be Mechanical problems and then you could get an extended warranty. Even then I would only get one for the major power train only. I have never used any warranty I have bought so I am not a big advocate. I will only be keeping my Solstice for 3 years and will probably trade in for a new solstice!

·
5,641 Posts
SolGeezer said:
I have never purchased an extended service warranty...
Almost perfect, they are not warranties, but just extended service contracts.

Adrenaline said:
I'm pretty sure it's 36 months/36k miles...
Yes, looks like Pontiac's warranty will be the 36 month or 36,000 mile. Buick is stepping their warranty up for 2006 to match their "premium car" image.

Adrenaline said:
...near the end of the warranty I'll shop around ....
As far as the GM Protection Plans, you can purchase one anytime before the 36 month or 36,000 mile mark. Although the price goes up a little if you are past 12 months or 12,000 miles. Also keep in mind the eligibility rules, prices and prcedures and change annually on January 1st. You will receive mail solicitations from GM for the plan. You will also recieve them from other companies that purchase registration and ownership infomation.

PubliusE said:
The dealer who sold you the car will try very hard to sell you an extended warranty when you pickup the car.
Yes, if the dealer is holding to MSRP, it would not surprise me if there is an all out push to sell everything else in the book.

PubliusE said:
A word of caution; be certain you know who the warranty is through. Just because your dealer is selling it to you doesn’t mean it is through GM. The dealer will push the extended warranty that makes him the most $$.
Magnezium said:
...catalytic converter problems...
The Catalytic Converter is a listed exception to covered parts under all GM Protection Plans. But, on the good side it is covered under the Emissions Specific Item Warranty for 8/80 in federal emissions states and 7/70 in California emissions states.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They told me it was covered by my GMPP. Either way, they replaced it without a problem. In fact, they kind of did it without notifying me. (That was strange, but I could almost care less since I would have approved it anyway.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
GMPP purchased in the 34th or 35th month would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I probably won't get the extended warrenty. I'm thinking of driving it as built for the first couple of years and then either modifying it or trading up for the turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I wouldn't get the extended on this car but have purchased it on 4wd trucks where it has paid off. The big outfit around here was Triad, whether you bought GM or DCX. The went belly-up and most dealers would still honor it (as I just had both front u-joints replaced at 50k on my truck at no charge. My Pontiac dealer, however has announced he is no longer covering anything he sold on Triad as he can't absorb the costs internally anymore.

Seems like time for an agency over extended warranty companies that would guarantee the coverage that we paid for, sort of like FDIC, or other insurance, if you sell a warranty then you have to post certified funds or assets in advance for expected claims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts