Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone purchase an extended warranty? What price did you pay or what price were you offered for an extended warranty? My dealer offered 6 years, 60k miles at $1,100 - seemed steep for me, in the past I've used third party warranties and had good luck and they've run around $1,200 for a bumper-to-bumper 10year/100k mile exclusionary policy (with very few exclusions) and $0 deductible.

I understand that you can actually by the GM extended warranty from ANY GM dealership and that you don't have to buy when you buy your car or from the same dealership where you bought your car, so I'm interested what others were offered, perhaps I can buy one for a lot less from another dealership.

I'm also curious what people think about getting an extended warranty. It seems like a good idea on a first year car??

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticedream2 said:
Dealer Location - California
Warranty Period - 6Yrs/60k Miles
Offered Price - $1,100
Purchased - No
Was that just a powertrain warranty? I have seen them for more, but that still is more than I would pay for one. Essentially $1100 to cover mainly a catastrophic problem with the drivetrain for an extra 3 years or 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Warranty

solsticedream2 said:
Did anyone purchase an extended warranty? What price did you pay or what price were you offered for an extended warranty? My dealer offered 6 years, 60k miles at $1,100 - seemed steep for me, in the past I've used third party warranties and had good luck and they've run around $1,200 for a bumper-to-bumper 10year/100k mile exclusionary policy (with very few exclusions) and $0 deductible.

I understand that you can actually by the GM extended warranty from ANY GM dealership and that you don't have to buy when you buy your car or from the same dealership where you bought your car, so I'm interested what others were offered, perhaps I can buy one for a lot less from another dealership.

I'm also curious what people think about getting an extended warranty. It seems like a good idea on a first year car??
REALLY GOT TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THESE 3RD PARTY WARRANTY CO'S...SOME ARE OKAY, SOME ARE IN THE BAHAMAS SPENDING ALL YOUR'S AND OTHER'S $$$

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the gm extend warranty - 6 years/72k miles 0$ deductible. I'm financing the car for 6 years and since they've only made < 4000 pre & actual production prior to my vin, I decided it was worth it to me. The cost was high thought $1750 :leaving:

I've owned three other cars, and have done the following:

96 Eclipse GSX - got the extended warranty and broke even - had repairs done after warranty and got cash back when I sold the car at 60k miles

2000 Eclipse GT - did not get the warranty figuring it was so close to the Galant that many of the bugs would have been worked out. The car will be 6 next month and has almost 120k miles on it. The AC & CD part of the radio both broke, but I can live without those. Those have been the only problems

2003 Nissan Murano - Got the extended warranty because of the damn cvt. Right now I'm fighting the dealer to repair the electronic motor mounts, but aside from that, the car has been pretty for 35k miles.

The more gizmos the car has, the more tempted I am to get one. I know the Sol is very basic, but it's also all new and that makes me a bit nervous.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rkgsx said:
I got the gm extend warranty - 6 years/72k miles 0$ deductible. I'm financing the car for 6 years and since they've only made < 4000 pre & actual production prior to my vin, I decided it was worth it to me. The cost was high thought $1750 :leaving:
Is your warranty for bumber to bumper coverage? Also, what kind of deductable does it have? Depending on the coverage and deductable, it may not be so high of a price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's an extension of the full factory warranty with 0 deductible, so it's not absolutely horrible. Of course, I hope I never have to use it :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rkgsx said:
It's an extension of the full factory warranty with 0 deductible, so it's not absolutely horrible. Of course, I hope I never have to use it :)
That doesn't sound so bad then. I have been offered warranties costing that much that were just for powertrain with a $100 deductable per incident. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I got one, figured with first year model launch makes sense as insurance. Dealer service is sooooooo expensive. Seems like can't get out without paying $800 a visit. I'm good for 6 years (forget mileage but I have it slanted toward time since mine will be low milage)

I paid little more and rolled cost into loan....always looks less if you build it into payment :lol:

I got some new program where I get money back if no claims during extended period. Probably a scam they'll never pay but sounded good at the time.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
here is a great dealer for GM Major Guard extended warranties

http://www.gmoutlet.com/

I had marked there page before...you can get an email quote from them..

60 month 100 miles..bumper to bumper

0 ded 1645
100 ded 1350
200 ded 1130

60/60k numbers run 835/720/635 for the same ded as above.....

you can buy at this price any time up to 12 months and 12k on the car...and the mileage starts from the day you purchase the GM warranty....so if you have 10k on the car....you get that added to the warranty..so if purchasing a 60k warranty..its good to 70k on the car.....I did extensive research on this..when I purchased my 04 Malibu Maxx...this dealership was a pleasure to work with.....for the GM Major Guard extended warranty

·
Registered
705 Posts
GM knows their cars better than anyone...GM knows that if they sell you an extended warranty the odds are they will make money. Who am I to argue with GM's line of reasoning?

My math:

10 new cars in the last 15 years = $12,000.00 in extended warranties (approx).

Uncovered repairs in the last 15 years within 60,000 miles (average warranty period), $1,500.00

Net savings by not buying extended warranties = $10,500.00

Every consumer expert on the planet say's they are a bad idea, I'm with them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I purchased the 5 year/75,000 mile extended GM warranty (with $100 deductable) for $985. This is the price for GM employees and retirees. I figured I would put 15K on a year, and after 5 years hopefully it would be a "bad investment."

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I got the five year 100,000 extended warranty. I average 22-26K per year on my car since I drive it for work so the warranty seemed good to me. I got it for just under $800.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Pterosaur said:
GM knows their cars better than anyone...GM knows that if they sell you an extended warranty the odds are they will make money. ...
I have had virtually the same experiance - Never a major repair in or out of warranty.

Unless the dealer has a 'deal you can't refuse', I'll not opt for the ex-warranty.

Besides - with the help of this forum, we should have a good idea whether or not to invest in one before the basic warranty expires.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have never been one for extended warrantys, BUT with this being a 1st year model I did go for one, Mine is 6 yr, 72 thousand, extended factory, esentially the same as the warranty that came with the car, they started at 1300, and I got it for 1K, 0 deductible. I doubt I will have 15K on it in 6 years, just drive it on weekends and it will winter in the garage. I don't know if it was a good move or not, but at least I will have peace of mind.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Canadian Extended Warranty

The Canadian total plus 6 year 100,000 Km warranty is $2300 Can. with $100 deductible.
Really have gone up since the last time I bought.
Even just 6 year 60,000 KM is about $1800.
I think I am going to wait until the end of my three year new car warranty to decide.
Funny, the Miata comes with a four year 80,000 KM warranty but you don't see GM taking that into account when it claims the Solstice is cheaper!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
del_utz said:
I don't know if it was a good move or not, but at least I will have peace of mind.
:agree:

I never used to be one for extended warranties (and I never buy them on anything other than cars) but when I bought my first truly expensive car (a fully loaded Ford Explorer), and knowing the Explorer is infamous for transmission problems, I opted for a warranty that covered everything. Any time I would hear a strange sound or feel something that didn't quite seem right I would just laugh about it instead of having that terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Avoiding that feeling alone was worth the entire cost of the warranty. It's the avoidance of a really bad day that makes it worth it for me.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
PAO: Thanks for the link. Did you notice that the dealership at that link offers the Pontiac Solstice at 1% UNDER invoice?

Well, not in so many words, but if you continue into the link, they will sell ANY Pontiac or Cadillac for 1% under invoice, plus deduct any applicable rebates.

·
Registered
417 Posts
well guys new style vehicle that already demonstrates little quirks hmmmm.. i have as you probably have heard tooooooo many times an 04 prius. absolutely positively got the TOYOTA extended warranty. got a great deal on the warranty too . i will get the warranty but it must be the gm extended warranty if "solly the solstice" ever arrives during my lifetime.ill bet you can get them to discount that a little too.mechanical things break especially, new kinda different vehicles. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts