Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that Troy will set up a separate forum for care tips, but I thought I would ask which products you folks use currently? I have been using the Meguiar’s “Deep Crystal System” on my truck & bike and I am generally pleased with the end result from its use. I use a product (Plexus) on my bike windscreen and a couple of other places that really does a great job on removing small scratches in plastic. Kit makes a pretty good auto finish scratch & haze remover also. I received a free sample of Eagle One “Wax As U Dry that is pretty easy to use on small areas, but does not make much sense to me for use on a full car. The idea in its use is that it is applied to a car after it is washed, but before it is dried. You spray it on as you dry the car. I doubt it is a very durable wax, but it did a quick and nice touch up wax job on my bike. I have read about Zaino, but in all honesty it seemed too expensive and too involved to interest me. What do you use? If possible compare its results in shine quality, protection quality, and durability to other products you have used.

·
Registered
281 Posts
zaino is great stuff. unequaled by anything, IMO. most fresh waxes dont feel as slick as 6 month old zaino. its time consuming, if you do it right, but the results are incredible. their swirl remover did an awesome job on my buddy's black GTP. i wouldnt use their claybar tho, most people i know say that the ClayMagic claybar is the best.

griot's garage also has some nice stuff.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use a polymer called Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (Zaino is also a polymer - polymers are said to last much longer than waxes since they have a much higher melting point). UPP seems to be popular with a lot of the detailing fanatics on these two boards:

www.autopia.org
www.detailcity.com

I applied two coats of UPP on my daily driver which sits outside 24x7. Water still beaded 5 months after the application. Excellent shine and fairly easy to apply as well. I now use it on all the vehicles in my household.

If I need to polish out imperfections before sealing, I use either Meguiars, 3M, or Menzerna polishes. They all seem to do a good job for me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Cryogenic said:
Be careful with zaino. Seems to attract unwanted attention.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57059&page=1&pp=15
i know what that is without even clicking on it. :) a GTP owner from another club walked out to find hs cat sitting on the hood of his car. afraid it would scratch it, he yelled at it. startled, the cat did a freddie flintstone on the ultra slick hood trying to get traction to run away and scratched the hell outta the hood. i guess zaino does not play well with animals. :jester

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like the new Mequiar's NXT tech wax.

It is easier to use than anything I've used before. I don't know about longevity but it has been on for a few weeks now and the car looks good after a wash.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Although I have found it to be a pain to use, I have been using Meguirs Gold Class on my Fiero. Everything else I have tried (I have not tried Zaino) has not lasted all that long or been very impressive on the cars 17 year old red paint. The paint and clearcoat are still good, but it generally looks dull rather quickly. The Gold class pulls out the swirl marks, and the smooth shiny finish lasts a lot longer than anything else I have tries. It is smooth enough that any accumulated dust washes off in rain instead of just spotting the surface. I have been pleased with it!

Next time I get the bug to try something else, maybe I'll give Zaino a spin. It sounds like it comes highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Zaino fan. Problem is, I don't currently care enough about the car I own to devote the time to it as often as I should.

The first time I used Zaino, though, I was hooked for life. When I was done, I watched a fly land on my fender, then slide off!

While we're in the care products thread, though, has anyone out there tried the Mr Clean wash and dry (or whatever they call it) stuff? Impressions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Folks over at the SSR fanataic forum have been giving the thumbs up to the Mr. Clean product - I've read a few good reviews too... I have yet to try it. I use the Meguiar’s “Deep Crystal System" on my yellow SSR - works great for me...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
kwhopper said:
Folks over at the SSR fanataic forum have been giving the thumbs up to the Mr. Clean product - I've read a few good reviews too... I have yet to try it. I use the Meguiar’s “Deep Crystal System" on my yellow SSR - works great for me...
You mean the new car wash that doesn't require towel drying? I haven't heard any personal commentary on it, but it does sound like a neat thing. My only worry would be whether it does anything that could be harmful the wax coat and/or finish of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts