Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think this is a northest thing but does anyone have their Solstice and have tried electronic toll tags (around here called EZ-Pass).

I borrowed the one off my trunk and stuck it in the proper place on the windshield, went thru about 6 or more tolls it never got read once. I looked at the windshield and didn't see any trouble spots. Wondering if it's having trouble because the car is so low or the windshield is at a funny angle?

I'm going to test it on the truck to make sure it's nothing with the transmitter but would be interested to see if anyone else has trouble.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interesting, my buddy had a problem w/ his tag not too long ago and he had to send his back. This may be dumb but how are the batteries if there are any at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Houston

We have a system in Houston called EZ Tag. Here, the red light only lights up if you do not have a toll tag, or if the battery in it is dead and it is not registering.

·
Registered
542 Posts
In Virginia, EZ Pass and Smart Tag merged and now you can use one transponder to pass through, In the Sol, I've been resting the transponder on top of the windsheild as I drive through...I haven't had any problems yet...I am not sure I want to add the velco strips to the windshield so this is what I've been doing until I decide.

It's bad enough we have to put registration and county stickers on the windshield...I don't want anything to take away from the look of this car!

·
Registered
265 Posts
EZ Pass

I just used mine on my trip (see 1400 mile report thread), no problems. I did attach it to the rearview mirror with rubberbands, and spaced it away from the mirror a bit with a piece of foam insulation (I thought the metal in the mirror might mess up the transponder readings).

Anyhow, no problems...

Scrutinize this pic, you may see the setup

http://www.theperfectstagecrew.com/num909a.jpg

Backstage

·
5,641 Posts
Backstage said:
Scrutinize this pic, you may see the setup

http://www.theperfectstagecrew.com/num909a.jpg

Backstage

Beautiful picture. Like it better then the ones in the catalog.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: No
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: Yes

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Backstage said:
I just used mine on my trip (see 1400 mile report thread), no problems. I did attach it to the rearview mirror with rubberbands, and spaced it away from the mirror a bit with a piece of foam insulation (I thought the metal in the mirror might mess up the transponder readings).

Anyhow, no problems...
Thanks, surprised yours worked since unit seems to be vertical?

I have to make a lunch run somewhere tomorrow and I pass a toll and check it out on my truck. Hopefully the transponder battery just died (is kind of old)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Can we add that picture to the gallery...I agree with Small Dealer that that is a beautiful shot!

·
Registered
753 Posts
the transponder batteries do die after a couple years. I have no trouble in the solstice with the ez pass from my other. i hold it up to the windshield when passing through . EZpass wants you to register your car with them. i got tickets when using a dead transponder on a car not registered. all was forgiven, but it took a couple phone calls. i'm ordering another trnsponder for the solstice.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
That's "my" car, Cool with sand/steel.
Thanks for the infusion.
(sigh, sigh) maybe I'll email Cricket, see if my code's moved yet...

mceb, you need to register your new plate number with the EzPass people. You can do it online. www.ezpass.com

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I've seen some units that attach to the front license plate bracket so I don't think too low is the problem. What about state differences in pass-through speed. Here in PA and in neighboring New York you are supposed to travel through at no more than a bout 15-25 mph but in NC cars go through at 55+ mph. Is it difference in systems or just toll booth operators gunshy about being rundown?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Have you tried the device in your other vehicle yet?

I have had no problems with my EZ Pass on my Jeep window, and that windshield is very upright.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
solli4me said:
That's "my" car, Cool with sand/steel.
Thanks for the infusion.
(sigh, sigh) maybe I'll email Cricket, see if my code's moved yet...
You think its Cool? I'm pretty sure its Sly, which would make it "my" car. :lol: It sure looks beautiful. Sure hope its not much longer for us! I'm still at 3400, but hope to have a VIN by the end of next week. :)

Made the picture my computer background for this week. Thanks, Backstage, hope you don't mind! :thumbs:

·
Registered
670 Posts
E-Z Pass

We have that in Florida and the new ones being issued have sticky backs so you can put it on your windshield behind the mirror - but I found if you do over 85 MPH thru the booth it won't read. Saw a guy on a motorcycle go thru and lift his license plate up so the camera couldn't read it. Not nice! :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have EZ pass as well and I am told that it is the angle of the windshield that is the problem. Sadly, I don't have a sol...but I do have a Honda Civic Hybrid. Because of the angle on the windshield we had to attach the transponder to the front license plate bracket. Its ok because it is just a civic. However, it would suck to have to put it on the front if you don't need a front license plate to begin with (like in Delaware).

I like the photo of one mounted in the Sol. Nice.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
dengel, I think you're right. I was just so desperate for that "silver" lining... :lol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
dengel said:
Made the picture my computer background for this week. Thanks, Backstage, hope you don't mind! :thumbs:
Mee Too! Thanks :thumbs:

You should have copyrighted it :glol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
just put RFID in the bin between the seats and wave it when required. So when you talk to folks asking about the worthless bin you have a reply other than saying "thats the trunk".

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was the transponder bad. Just tried in in my SUV and no worky.

I'll send for a replacement plus a new one for the Sol as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts