Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT MINE, found on CL. $7,995
Salvage title, 07, 2.4, Manual, 78,000 Miles, Bluffton, GA
Custom roof with black glass installed in place of trunk lid and convertible top
00i0i_gzJjm30ksm3_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_aHYU8Xs9UZ1_1200x900.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
A lot of money for an NA ( I own one) with high miles and a salvage title .
He is probably adding the full cost of the top to the value. It is unique, so you don't know what could happen, and I'm certain he priced it high to be able to negotiate to what he really wants for it.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
He is probably adding the full cost of the top to the value. It is unique, so you don't know what could happen, and I'm certain he priced it high to be able to negotiate to what he really wants for it.
The problem is the salvage title I have a friend who is a retired insurance adjuster and I talked to him about purchasing a wrecked car to do a LS swap a while back . His exact words "if your going to keep it basically forever go for it but if you ever think about selling it you won't get anywhere near what it's worth ". Another issue was insurance , many companies don't want to deal with cars that have been rebuilt because of liability issues the biggest problem is the airbags many of these cars do not have working airbag systems and what guarantees do you have that the repairs were made correctly .All one has to do is scan a site like Co Part and see cars with what appears to be limited damage but the bags are blown that's why they declare them totaled .

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
My '08 is a salvage title car, and the only insurance issue I have is that my insurance company will not write comprehensive or collision for it. Since neither of those make sense given their cost and benefit, it really doesn't matter to me, and I don't have them on the '07 either.

A salvage title will put many people off, but others recognize it for what it is and it isn't a big problem. The key if selling, obviously, is to price it accordingly by remembering that it cost you less initially, so there is no reason to not sell it for less. It will also help to have before during and after pictures to document the rebuild, since salvage titles, as you point out, can result from a wide range of levels of damage.

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
I had a insurance agent tell me before a salvage vehicle is worth about half of a non-salvage vehicle.
Maybe for some vehicles. Salvage Kappas have historically sold for $1-2,000 less than those with clean titles, assuming similar condition.
As the supply of a particular vehicle shrinks relative to demand, the price gap between salvage and clean title closes.

Keep in mind too that as repair parts get scarce, cars are totalled for less and less damage. New OEM Kappa body parts are pretty much unobtainable, and there is virtually no aftermarket. A minor incident that superficially damages a hood will almost certainly total a Kappa because it cannot be repaired to industry standards for a reasonable cost.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
NOT MINE, found on CL. $7,995
Salvage title, 07, 2.4, Manual, 78,000 Miles, Bluffton, GA
Custom roof with black glass installed in place of trunk lid and convertible top
View attachment 106771 View attachment 106771 View attachment 106772 View attachment 106772
That is a good looking top. I have a Smoothline Club Racer, and really like it. Thi one looks well done. Tempting....

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a good looking top. I have a Smoothline Club Racer, and really like it. Thi one looks well done. Tempting....
Problem is you have to buy the car to get it. Plus the price seems high for a salvage w/that mileage. I guess you could always ask if they'd sell the top separately.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Problem is you have to buy the car to get it. Plus the price seems high for a salvage w/that mileage. I guess you could always ask if they'd sell the top separately.
I agree. The price would have to be negotiable for me to consider it. If I bought it, it would just be for shows and tours. A guaranteed attention getter.

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
I agree. The price would have to be negotiable for me to consider it. If I bought it, it would just be for shows and tours. A guaranteed attention getter.
My experience has been that all car prices are negotiable.

Pricing a used car is tricky. Too high is obviously a problem, but if you go too low you will discourage those who will think that it must have some serious problems. I once advertised a car for a lower-than-average price because I really wanted it to sell, but I didn't get a single call about it. Two months later I re-listed it for about 50% more and got three calls almst immediately. One of them gave me a "low-ball" offer of exactly what I had listed it for originally, I countered, and ended up selling it for more than my original listing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Interior pictures would really help the ad, from what I understand it was the interior parts & rear window that were tough to get for that top. The blacked out windows & no interior pictures make me suspect an incomplete looking interior. But always happy to be proved wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Interior pictures would really help the ad, from what I understand it was the interior parts & rear window that were tough to get for that top. The blacked out windows & no interior pictures make me suspect an incomplete looking interior. But always happy to be proved wrong.
The tops came with the dark tinted windows from the manufacturer from all I've seen . As far as the interior parts and rear window the tops that are now available were purchased incomplete as salvage those are the ones listed on Ebay .

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
As originally sold by EDAG, the tops came complete with windows, the rear hatch, a lank-out plate for the front of the trunk, all of the mounting brackets, wiring to relocate the rear defroster and antenna, and a molded hearliner.

As Sting said, the "kits" being purchased for the last few years are the leftovers from the Revenge Designs bankruptcy, and are nowhere near complete. I think that I got one of the last complete kits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts