Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice N/A
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My top ripped and I managed to get a good deal on an entire new top assembly off of an 08 for my 07, I'm hoping the old one could go to some use

The top ripped and I sewed it up then put sealant on it. The back window is falling out a bit. The tabs to prevent the top ripping aren't there. I tried to replace them but that did not work. Maybe it needed to be adjusted a bit more. When the 08 top arrived it did not contain the mounting brackets that were on my 07 top, so I can't include those. (The patch in the pictures is where the tear is).

Make me an offer, even if your offer is free. Not parting any pieces out yet.

Pick up in Philadelphia area - not looking to ship b/c of the size but could look into it if you really want it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My top ripped and I managed to get a good deal on an entire new top assembly off of an 08 for my 07, I'm hoping the old one could go to some use

The top ripped and I sewed it up then put sealant on it. The back window is falling out a bit. The tabs to prevent the top ripping aren't there. I tried to replace them but that did not work. Maybe it needed to be adjusted a bit more. When the 08 top arrived it did not contain the mounting brackets that were on my 07 top, so I can't include those. (The patch in the pictures is where the tear is).

Make me an offer, even if your offer is free. Not parting any pieces out yet.

Pick up in Philadelphia area - not looking to ship b/c of the size but could look into it if you really want it.

View attachment 112069 View attachment 112070 View attachment 112071 View attachment 112072 View attachment 112073 View attachment 112074
Nice stitch work, glad you were able to find a replacement I did the same.
I know you said you're not parting any pieces out yet, but if you do and up doing that, any chance I can get this piece circled tossed into an envelope and sent my way?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
What I would do is take the canvas off and toss it as it is mostly unusable. Take the glass out of it if the glass is not broken, that can be sold by it's self. The headliner is another thing that can be sold by it's self. You can either sell the frame whole or you can separate it into 5 pieces. there are 3 bows and the 2 "B" pillars that can all be sold individually. If you take it apart take photos of how it comes apart, this way if someone wants the frame whole it will be easier to box up and ship and you would be able to provide photos of how it goes back together.

If you are willing to break the top down I would buy the headliner from you, you would need to ship it to Colorado tho. The headliner is not that heavy. I would also consider the back glass depending on the price. It is tempered glass so with good packaging there should be no reason why it couldn't be shipped. wrap it up really well in bubble wrap and use packing peanuts on all sides (including under it and on top of it) when it's in the box. I would be willing to pay additional to cover packaging materials. I would only ask that you do not let a shipping store package it and you do it personally. This way you and I would both know that it is going to get packaged properly.

The top fabric is attached with clips pop rivets and contact adhesive, You will have to drill the rivets out which is not hard to do. The headliner is held in using the same methods. If the headliner is held down by contact adhesive use a hair dryer to warm it up a little. This will soften up the glue a little bit so you should be able to peel the liner up and use a razor to slit the glue as you go along (it will be stingy)..

An hour or 2 of work will make it easier to ship and also fatten up the wallet more then selling it whole.

Let me know if itis something you would be interested in doing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Steveorama / @kgschlosser thanks a lot for that advice - I've had some luck with locals so I'll give it a few days but then I'll think about parting it out

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
OK cool

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey @djdevin , if I arrange for pick-up are you interested in selling it to me? I'm interested in the "premium" headliner and would be willing to bring it voer to Brazil and redo the canvas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey @djdevin , if I arrange for pick-up are you interested in selling it to me? I'm interested in the "premium" headliner and would be willing to bring it voer to Brazil and redo the canvas.
By the way, I'm interested in the whole assembly because it's a premium headliner one, not only the headlining itself. Realised my wording could make it seem that I only wanted the headlining. The idea is I'd get the whole thing and send to an upholsterer for them to redo the canvas with new fabric.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@agent008 You should know that it's not just the canvas but the layer underneath and probably some unseen issue with the mechanics inside that caused it to rip, so I'd feel bad if you got it and more was broken. That sounds like it'd be expensive to ship and replace the top but if you can arrange pickup that's fine with me. Let me know in a few days if you can before I start parting it out.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
66 Posts
I appreciate you being upfront about the issues. If the mechanicals are not OK it would be harder for me to use the top unless they could be fixed.
I will try to get a quote for shipping, for that I'd need to know the estimated weight and dimensions, the dimensions I can get from my own top, but no the weight, thought I'd imagine it'd be somewhere around 15 - 25kg (33 - 55lb) packed ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I appreciate you being upfront about the issues. If the mechanicals are not OK it would be harder for me to use the top unless they could be fixed.
I will try to get a quote for shipping, for that I'd need to know the estimated weight and dimensions, the dimensions I can get from my own top, but no the weight, thought I'd imagine it'd be somewhere around 15 - 25kg (33 - 55lb) packed ?
FWIW these don't ship well unless they are fully crated (adds a lot of weight and price to the shipping). I wouldn't expect this to just go in a box with some bubble wrap. When I bought my replacement top assembly last year it traveled from Houston, TX to Austin, TX ( about 180 miles) and it was strapped and shrink wrapped to a pallet. The shipper must of put something on top of this pallet and the top assembly was bowed out when I unpacked it. I sent that one back since it arrived damaged from shipping and ended up finding another one thankfully. The inner workings of these tops is actually quite remarkable in its design and intricacies. If something is off in the geometry even a small amount and top will be very frustrating to open and close. I can't imagine a scenario where this would make good sense economically for you to buy a damaged top from the states, ship it to Brazil, and then pay to have it reupholstered (I'm sorry @djdevin, I swear I'm not trying to hurt your sale) . You would be better off just buying a NOS top fabric and have that shipped to you to be installed on your existing top or even have the upholstery shop there in Brazil reskin your current top. Is there something wrong with your current top on why this might not be an option? I'm genuinely curious.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, maybe it could be fixed but I don't have enough experience to tell if it's just an adjustment somewhere or if something if permanently damaged.

Weighs probably about that - when I had my new top shipped they made a wood crate for it so that added quite bit of weight and dimension. I definitely don't have the ability to pack it up myself. Shipping it here in the US was $180. But that was from a business so the rate is probably much higher for personal use.

Not that I don't want you to take my top but I was looking at another top online that is still up for sale...they don't ship internationally but maybe you could use a forwarding service: https://www.redlineautoparts.com/po...vertible-soft-top-w-frame-black-plan-b-ps024/

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there something wrong with your current top on why this might not be an option? I'm genuinely curious.
Thankfully my current top is fine but it is quite noisy and I'd be willing to change it to the padded/lined version for a little bit quieter ride when top's up. If I want the noise I can always put it down 😁
I thought it'd make sense to use a damaged top for that and leave any other good undamaged tops available out ther for someone who needs theirs replaced right away. In my case I'd have no deadline to refurbish the top I buy since the current one is in excellent condition.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thankfully my current top is fine but it is quite noisy and I'd be willing to change it to the padded/lined version for a little bit quieter ride when top's up. If I want the noise I can always put it down 😁
I thought it'd make sense to use a damaged top for that and leave any other good undamaged tops available out ther for someone who needs theirs replaced right away. In my case I'd have no deadline to refurbish the top I buy since the current one is in excellent condition.
If it's just the headliner you're after they do pop up from time to time NOS in the box here and on eBay. This is the part number if you want to save a search for it PN 19121193. Keep in mind to install the headliner most of top has to be taken apart and put back together. This of course is easier said than done the headliner kit doesn't come with instructions. If a shop is unfamiliar with our tops this may be a struggle as there is little information out there on our tops compared to other convertibles. I imagine this to be even more exacerbated in a country that probably doesn't have too many Kappa cars driving around that may need top work done.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That rip that is in the top looks like it happened from the pinching that occur when the top is put up. This pinching happens from the top not being maintained. There are a couple of spots that need to have grease applied to allow the top so slide across the frame properly. I do not think that anything is bent in the frame. If something is bent it is not that hard to straighten it.

Adding a headliner to a top tat does not have one is not an easy task. There aren't any instructions on how to do it and a visual reference from a vehicle that has the headliner factory installed into it would be needed to know how the thing attaches. I was looking to get my hands on the headliner not for myself, I know a few people that have a Solstice and do not have a headliner and would love to get one. I would be the person that would install the thing as I have the knowledge of how to do it.

The rear glass I wanted just because glass breaks. The glass can be removed and new installed without replacing the whole top.

I am going to have to take the top and frame out of my car in a month or 2, need to get the car painted. At this time I am going to remove the fabric and add some lift struts to the frame. The springs are getting weak in my top and it is getting difficult to lift the top out of the trunk without tweaking it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts