Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling the stock trans out of my '08 Sky Redline.

The car had 40k miles on it when the trans was pulled. It was FULLY rebuilt in a GM dealership by a 30 year GM World Class Technician in April of this year. The trans is pretty much brand new inside, every single synchro, fork or gear that showed the slightest signs of wear were replaced with new FACTORY parts. It's full of new fluid and ready to be installed.

I'm also including the stock clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel with the trans. It has about 15k miles on it and had no problem holding ~550 ft lbs of torque with absolutely NO slip. (Plenty of logs to show that.) The disk, plate and flywheel look like new with no signs of overheating or stress. It even has the flywheel bolts and throw-out bearing with it.

These transmissions can be bought for about $1400 brand new. List price is $1600 I believe. I'll sell this one for half that, $700 takes it all. The new parts that were put in it cost more than that alone. I'm in Northern California and obviously I don't want to ship it. I'd be willing to deliver if the distance is reasonable.

I'll put some pictures of it up tonight, or I can email them to anyone that's interested.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I wish I had the $$, thats a price hard to pass up even just to have it for future use GLWS

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like a great price and value. What did you replace it with ?
I'm replacing it with a new TR6060.

Someone else asked why it was rebuilt, here's my answer for anyone else that wants to know...

The trans was rebuilt for basic maintenance issues. Like all Aisin 5 speeds, including the ones in the Toyota's, after about 30k the shifting gets really [email protected] The syncros wear out and the bearing plate on the main shaft gets a groove in it and lets the end play get excessive. There was nothing broken in the trans, it was just getting hard to shift like they all do. Rebuilding these makes them shift really nice, for another 30k miles or so.

·
Registered
432 Posts
where in northern ca are you, I am in the bay area. Any idea about how much it should cost to get this installed? Nothing is wrong with my transmission except, well like you said it shifts like SH!T. It probably isn't feasible to do from a cost stand point considering mine still works fine for now but i am curious i guess.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pictures guys. Surely someone wants to have this on hand when their clutch starts slipping or their trans gets so bad it won't shift. I believe the stock clutch parts are about $600 themselves. Buy this and when you need a clutch you can get a transmission that shifts like silk at the same time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where in northern ca are you, I am in the bay area. Any idea about how much it should cost to get this installed? Nothing is wrong with my transmission except, well like you said it shifts like SH!T. It probably isn't feasible to do from a cost stand point considering mine still works fine for now but i am curious i guess.
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I should get this.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
So GM, just out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to convert an auto to manual around this transmission?
Not difficult, not easy either, but its doable. So far in the history of the kappa I haven't heard of one conversion, not one.. You have had upgrades, ala V8's with their matching tranny. You have to match up everything down below, could be year dependent. Then you have to add the 3rd pedal and all of its related parts and components.. If you got an auto and want a stick, best thing to do is sell the auto and buy the stick...

Here is another post from miller in the sky forum..
You will need some new interior parts, Shifter boot, shifter, etc

Then you will have to solve the electronic end... not sure if you will be able to just jump switches or if you will need to be more in depth. (safety park lockouts on the auto).You will probably need HPT to turn off codes etc.

Then you would need to address the fact you need an extra peddle, cables and hardware for that, and maybe a new brake booster... not sure if those are common.

Oh and the whole swapping the actual transmission thing.

Not sure that it would be worth the effort. Probably would be easier to sell yours and get a manual sky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts