Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Hardtop fans, here's your chance. Recently I decided my Solstice will no longer be a daily anymore. Since I made that decision I have less use for the hardtop I bought from Northern (another forum member) a few years back. Sparing any long drawn out details I'm looking to sell my hardtop with an included cart for $1200.00 This particular top is still in near mint condition and came well optioned over the $1500 base model. This top has the Haartz vinyl exterior upgrade (+425), Upgraded headliner (+125), and a glass rear window (+275). It still has all of the original hardware and the seals are in excellent shape.

Here's a link to Northern's thread when he bought the top;

Northern Get's his top

And here's a link to the thread when he sold it to me;

Northern selling his top

There are pictures in both of Northern's posts plus google images is your friend. Here's a shot of what it look's like on my car;

Also google "smoothline club racer" and the first link will take you to the manufacture's website.

These top's are really nice whether you just want one for looks or if want one for the colder months like I did. It's my understanding that it can take quite a while from the time of order and be a bit of a hassle sometimes so for anyone interested here is your chance to get one at about half price (actually, a little less than half price) and in however much time it takes you to come to my house and pick it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
may be interested if sale does not go thru as in Houston, i'm not taking the top down again until September.

stupid question probably, do you remove the soft top or any part of the soft top to use it ?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I want one but I also want my trunk axsessable...witch shouldent be hard to do....making a 2 peace trunk lid. great price...makes me wish i hadent just ordered a junk yard top for a spare. not sure how I missed this thread...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
may be interested if sale does not go thru as in Houston, i'm not taking the top down again until September.

stupid question probably, do you remove the soft top or any part of the soft top to use it ?
No, soft top stores in trunk like normal. Only thing I'd recommend if you have room above the car is a hard top hoist. I have a low roof garage, and it's definitely a two person job to remove and install.

Someone was selling this several weeks back, kind of weird looking, but looks like the truck can still be used. Appears to be a Smoothline Club Racer hardtop that's been modified.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

No, soft top stores in trunk like normal. Only thing I'd recommend if you have room above the car is a hard top hoist. I have a low roof garage, and it's definitely a two person job to remove and install.
Chop is correct on both items. You don't have to remove anything to use one of these tops. The convertible top just folds into the trunk like usual. You can't open the trunk anyways while using the hardtop.

The top isn't terribly heavy (probably about 40 pounds or so) but it's size would make it very difficult for one person to handle by themselves. When I took mine on and off I had either my wife or my daughter help me and we had no problems.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I thought I had this sold but the deal fell through so my top is back up for sale. sonduska, sorry I missed your post but I don't think I could ship this anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Chop, and you are right about Saveaux having first dibs.
Just checking on several questions. Hows the deal going with Saveaux going, also where are you located? I am in Arizona so I wanted to make sure the shipping wasn't to bad. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
My guess is the only reasonable way to ship this is freight . Anytime I've used this type of service I had to have the item sent to a business ( my friends repair shop ) they would not pick up or deliver to my home address don't know about UPS or FedEx . I'm guessing this would have to be put on a pallet with a lot of protective covering to be on the safe side . Another option would be a company such as USHIP which is made up of independent contractors who would come to your door to pick up an item .

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Seeing as how I always thought that I wanted one of these and coupled with the fact that my dad would be able to pick this is, I jumped at the opportunity of owning one. Unforunately, I've never been interested one of these with a vinyl cover, and I'm sure that it'd take a lot of work to remove it and then repaint it. With that being said, I'd like to politely withdraw my bid on this one.

It's a grwat deal, and someone will love getting it.

Out of curiousity, it looks a bit larger than our vert tops - both in height and length. Would you say that's the case with these, or is it just the pictures that make it look that way?

Would this top count as a hardtop for autocross?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of curiousity, it looks a bit larger than our vert tops - both in height and length. Would you say that's the case with these, or is it just the pictures that make it look that way?
No problem deciding it's not for you.

As for the height, I think it is slightly larger than the soft top. I definitely seem to have a little more headroom with the hardtop on. I'd say maybe an inch or a little more. The length is the same. Lengthwise, it fits the same as the soft top.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My guess is the only reasonable way to ship this is freight . Anytime I've used this type of service I had to have the item sent to a business ( my friends repair shop ) they would not pick up or deliver to my home address don't know about UPS or FedEx . I'm guessing this would have to be put on a pallet with a lot of protective covering to be on the safe side . Another option would be a company such as USHIP which is made up of independent contractors who would come to your door to pick up an item .
Thanks for the input Sting but since the question of shipping has come up I should say I really don't want to ship this top. I think between the hassle on my end, the expense to the buyer, and the likelihood that it could get damaged, it's just not worth it. I live in East Tennessee if that factors into things for anyone wanting to buy my top.

Thanks to everyone considering my top and to those of you posting it elsewhere and that are answering questions that are coming up here. I appreciate you guys.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
From the looks of the Club Racer I'd say that Smoothline borrowed the GM SCCA carbon fiber hardtop in order to make a mold for their fiberglass version. It's somewhat hard to tell but the roof has a subtly double bubble molded into it in order to make room for helmet clearance.

I bought mine for it's looks and haven't removed it for the last four years (other than to put up the vert top to make sure it's operational). It's a nice top for those who want some extra security or a different look.

Smoothline shipped freight it to my home, but the driver called and said our road wasn't wide enough (it was), so I met him at the school next door. Luckily he told me to inspect it before he left, turned out to be the wrong top. I refused delivery and called Smoothline, who told me that two tops had been shipped that day and the wrong labels were put on. About 10 days later my top was delivered right to my house. So it all worked out in the end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts