Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-17748.html

I stumbled across this while googling for Solstice Images...

According the article, soures say the Opel GT may be fitted with a 225kw V8. Someone followed up and stated conversion to hp is "kw x 1.341 = hp" which comes out to 301.725.

If there's any truth to this, think the motor will make it to the Solstice?

My apologies if this has been covered already... =)

·
5,600 Posts
I would not put any stock in this rumor. I could make a website and claim the Sky will have a 454 rat motor. It wouldn't make it true. No, there is no possibility the Opel GT will have a 300 HP V8 motor.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Europe tends to avoid V8s like the plague with $5 a gallon gas prices.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi!

In our press there was this rumor too. But it was still different. Some magazines had articles about the new Opel roadster (there's no official name yet, so everyone calls it "GT"). In fact the article is quite old and at this time they had spoken about a coupe. It was claimed that Opel wanted to have a new "Manta" (this one was a legendary coupe here).

In this article there was something about a V8-engine. Then some time later there was another article also saying something about V8-engines in the new car. It was claimed that the German engineers told GM that they would like to offer a V8 but that GM denied this request.

If you ask me, I agree that a V8 is not the first choice for the european market. I know you think your gas-prices are high but ours are twice that high. If I'd really like to have 300 hp (conversion is correct), I'd buy a charged V6. The past has shown that the european engines with less displacement do not necessarily have less torque OR power.

As was discussed before in another thread, the wish for a high diplacement is more a matter of taste than of pure technical facts.

BUT: There are rumors that Opel is willing to offer a car that is helping to redifine the image of the brand. It is going to be very sportive and it doesn't need to sell very often.
It's just about reputation (BMW did this a league higher with the Z8 which also sells very bad but shows everyone that BMW is able to build nice cars).

If that is true, it could well be that Opel will offer a V8 engine in one of their models. Due to the lack of Opel sport cars, they could use this engine to offer a high end version of one of the existing cars. That could be the "GT".

Second pro-reason is that Opel is going to loose some clients if they stop production of the "Speedster" late this year. The Speedster is a hell of a driving machine, being a featherweight with enough power.
To bridge the difference between the "GT" and the "Speedster" it is quite likely that Opel will offer a high performance "GT OPC" (all high performance Opels are called OPC = Opel Performance Center, nowadays).

But that is all pure speculation. If you are interested in this, you should be aware of the fact, that the Opel "GT", according to the last information, is not introduced until 2007.

So even if all "ifs" and "buts" work out for you, you'll have to wait quite a long time.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
"Sources say..."
Yes, Heinz Dieter in the Opel mail room would like a V8 GT.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
But the purists among us would insist that a GT is a fixed roof vehicle. It's interesting that Porsche allows Opel to use the name Speedster, even though they haven't built one in almost 50 years you would think the name would have kept value. Or is it a little like Ford, losing the rights to GT40 so the new one is just GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.