Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Monsoon system w/XM satellite radio in my car. I want to change the head unit (to such as the Sony XAV-AX5000) so I can install a backup camera.
I would assume that knowing the pin-out on the XM unit would have to be known to make a proper connection to any radio.
Has anyone successfully connected the factory XM receiver to an aftermarket radio? If so, would you share your wiring schematic?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I saw a video of someone adapting the plug from the tuner so it would work with an aftermarket headunit. It was a chevy truck though but same xm hardware i believe.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
I saw a video of someone adapting the plug from the tuner so it would work with an aftermarket headunit. It was a chevy truck though but same xm hardware i believe.
It seems that the problem would be controlling, and not connecting to it.

I looked at the schematics again (I even read all of the words this time) and the connection from the tuner to the head unit is two audio signal lines and a ground, so that is pretty simple. The tuner also has a GM LAN data connection, however, and that is apparently how it is controlled. So you would have to work out a way for your new head unit to send control signals across the GM LAN to the tuner and presumably get status information back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grrr setting up a new tuner and antenna is what keeps me from replacing the headunit. If it was plug and play with the oem setup id have that factory head out asap.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
Why don't you just get a new head unit with XM?
That is a really good question that I didn't even think to ask. I just looked up the Sony XAV-AX5000 mentioned in the first post, and the SXV300V1 XM/Sirius tuner that works with it is only $70. If you are going to spend $400 for a new head unit, not spending another $70 for a compatible XM tuner would be crazy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The OP wants to hook up a XM ready headunit to the OEM xm tuner and antenna,no new xm equipment. Thats what im looking for also.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
The OP wants to hook up a XM ready headunit to the OEM xm tuner and antenna,no new xm equipment. Thats what im looking for also.
Sure, but no interface devices exist to be able to do that, and you cannot just connect the factory XM to your aftermarket radio - as John already said.

So, again, your only option is to obtain an XM radio unit that IS compatible with your chosen headend, and install that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Id prefer if the oem XM antenna could be connected to the additional xm tuner like the xm tuner SXV300V1 mentioned above. I just like to keep everything as original as possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You know,i considered this years ago,and im now remembering i gave up and stayed with stock because i didnt want to run the lead from the antenna up to the dash. Mines not a daily driver so the factory head is sufficient for me. Thanks fellas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts