Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who works in, or has knowledge of the industry briefly explain how today's GM vehicles are painted? How much is done by robotics? How many layers of what are shot? How is the paint cured? What type of quality controls are in place? Lastly, given the unusual shape of the Solstice (e.g. the protrusions on the trunk), do you think the process will be more complex for it?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fred96ws6 said:
Well GM must have some old tired robots because GM cars have some of the worst orange peel of any of the automakers. Even the new Corvettes have some orange peel on them. In one commercial where they show a close up of the side of a new G6 you can see the horrible orange peel on it.
I've been conditioned to accept some peel, but not to the point where you can notice it from 15 feet away. I will say that I had a 2001 GM car with almost no trace of it. It had better paint than a lot of high end cars I've seen.

The main thing that puzzles me is why this aspect of paint quality seems so inconsistent, even between several vehicles of the same make, model, and year. That's why I asked the question about quality control processes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.