Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Factory Stereo: Who has replaced it already?

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Saveaux 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 bright *ss yellow Solstice with the factory loaded 6 disc system w/ XM radio and man it sux!!!
Down the road I will be for sure changing this thing out and replacing it with some good speakers and all, as it is now it has no high end, muddy and weak bass and , well it sounds like a factory stereo.
I prefer loud thumping power to accompany my hard rock tastes.
So who has scrapped their factory stereo?

#2 ·
which one do you have? I have the monsoon 225 watt, with subwoofer, and xm etc. and for a factory I think it sounds pretty good. Now with the top down your acoustics are lost into the air, so unless you get one of those 2000 watt booming idiot set-ups, the sound will suffer no matter what.
:cool:

#3 ·
I too think it sounds pretty good, except for the XM, which sounds like one of those free 56kbps streaming stations on itunes (I'm guessing that one day iPhones or something like it will XM with better streaming quality). Of course if you have the top down you are adding your own noise so at that point quality at the source matters less.

I would only replace the headunit so I could get true ipod connectivity or to get navigation.

#4 ·
I heard that from others also. Strange, because my XM sounds even better than the cds do. i wonder if they used different models of XM or the antennae. Or maybe we are on different sattelites. I am in Calif.
:cool:

#6 ·
I just picked up my '07 this Friday and I'm fairly pleased with the unit. I too, have the monsoon and it thumps decently. Have you gone to the equalizer menu and set up the EQ to your taste on the manual setting? That's what I did and it made a difference in how I felt about the unit.

#11 ·
The Monsoon is a speaker upgrade. Nothing to do with the stereo itself.

#12 ·
Check out the link in my sig for my head unit install. Speakers and amps to come at a later date.

#13 ·
I've also upgraded to the Pioneer AVIC-D3. I haven't had a chance to take pics yet. I love it. If I had known it would sound so much better, I would have made this the first mod I did. (And the geek in me loves the navigation.)

#14 ·
Wow! You guys must be really hard-core audiophiles. I think the stock system with Monsoon speakers is pretty damn good. I hear nice high/mid/low separation and plenty of clean, undistorted volume with the top down... Am I missing something?

#15 ·
Some people like to tinker and then there are those hardcore folks.

#20 ·
Some of us on the forum went with Kenwood models DNN990HD & DNN770HD.I went with the DNN770HD which i think is discontinued. One feature on it i like it is i can get wifi on the DNN770HD. I also replaced the front speakers. I like the unit but had to get a module to get the xm . The steer wheel controls did work the unit after the installation. I get better use out of the system when i have no passengers as then i can push the speakers. Good luck in your search.

#22 ·
I got the Kenwood DNX model and love it. Can't see the screen in bright sunlight but have figured out where to touch the screen even though I can't see it. GPS is plenty bright enough in sunlight and sound is much better. I could be wrong on this, but I believe the sticker in the bottom of your glove box will tell you whether or not you have the monsoon system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.