Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Fading emblem

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  marksbug 
#1 ·
Got my GXP out of storage today and noticed that the red in the Pontiac arrowhead on the front is fading. I guess it could have been like that for a while and I didn't notice. Anyone dealt with this? Can it be repaired? Are new ones available? Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I replaced mine on the front bumper using the information found here:
replace front bumper arrowhead

Some people suggested that just a handful of screws to be loosened, and you might be able to reach your hand behind the bumper to get to the "bolts" holding the arrowhead on. ( I did not try that... )

Reactions: showtime
#5 ·
Removing the bumper cover might be the best bet. Even with the top screws out of the cover, there is a big piece of styrofoam in there and those speed nuts are not always easy to remove without easy access to them. Some types of speed nuts have to be prised off. Look at the speed nuts on the emblem on the passenger side fender and you will see whether yours are screw on or push on nuts. They are probably the push on type. Once the cover is off, you can just snip off the plastic right up to the nut and pop it off. They are ornery little buggers to remove. They work like the pungee traps in Nam worked. The harder you try to pull against them, the tighter they dig in. Good luck!!

#6 ·
Somewhere on the forum is a source for overlays for the emblems in case you want to make it color match your car or something else (including red). While I am fortunate to have a replacement emblem, I opted for the gloss black overlay. I left the side emblems OEM red as they are not faded. The black on the arrowhead is kind of an homage to the story about black in the Rolls Royce emblem. It’s widely believed the color was changed, from red to black, after the death of Charles Stewart Rolls in an aviation accident in 1910. It’s not true, however noble that might sound. Black lettering was simply considered more fitting for a luxury car, and the timing of the change was a tragic coincidence. Unlike the death of Pontiac which is my reason...plus I like the way it looks on my Mysterious Black GXP!

Over the years I came to realize these are our cars and not for some inspection committee looking for an assembly mark hidden in a particular place and of a certain color. Makes ownership much more personal and fun.

Richard Snipes (Elsie the Solstice's Dad)

Link: Arrowhead Badge Stickers

#8 ·
Somewhere on the forum is a source for overlays for the emblems in case you want to make it color match your car or something else (including red). While I am fortunate to have a replacement emblem, I opted for the gloss black overlay. I left the side emblems OEM red as they are not faded. The black on the arrowhead is kind of an homage to the story about black in the Rolls Royce emblem. It’s widely believed the color was changed, from red to black, after the death of Charles Stewart Rolls in an aviation accident in 1910. It’s not true, however noble that might sound. Black lettering was simply considered more fitting for a luxury car, and the timing of the change was a tragic coincidence. Unlike the death of Pontiac which is my reason...plus I like the way it looks on my Mysterious Black GXP!

Over the years I came to realize these are our cars and not for some inspection committee looking for an assembly mark hidden in a particular place and of a certain color. Makes ownership much more personal and fun.

Richard Snipes (Elsie the Solstice's Dad)

Link: Arrowhead Badge Stickers
OP, I also went this route. The black overlays look fantastic on a black solstice.

#7 ·
Are you sure it's fading and not just dirty? Looks like it might be whitish residue from wax. You might consider cleaning it with goo-gone or something similar. Or if it's a layer of oxidation you may be able to carefully sand it off, polish, then coat it with clear. Kind of like restoring plastic headlights. Worth a shot IMO, as the replacement badges are stupidly expensive.

#10 ·
Ive found that the rainx water less car wash&wax removes most waxes pertty good or atleast removes the white residue. my rear bumper had quite a bit on it and ..all gone now after a few times using the rianx. and the car is slicker that fly snot and looks awesome...just wish i could drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.