Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my dealer who talked to his district manager who has a good friend at the plant and he had some bad news. My dealer swears this is reliable information.

Apparently, the first 86 Solstices that were built had some quality issues and have been scrapped. There was an email sent to dealers who were affected telling them to resubmit orders for those 86. My dealer didn't know what the issue was, but apparently they are starting over. Luckily, mine didn't make it into that 86, but this could put production way behind. My dealer didn't know if they were going to rebuild those 86 right away or if they were going to be randomly slotted for production with other orders.

I hope he is wrong, but it doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The eighty six that were scrapped were preproduction models, so the story you heard is probably like any other story that gets passed dow n through a few people. Good luck on your order, and be patient.

·
Registered
85 Posts
:brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea hope that was the literal first 86 built (testers) not the first 86 of the first 1000 shipped....who's on first :willy:

Also don't think they'd be throwing a party on Friday if they had a bad first batch.

·
Registered
462 Posts
radermkj said:
I just got a call from my dealer who talked to his district manager who has a good friend at the plant and he had some bad news. My dealer swears this is reliable information.
Not doubting you radermkj -- But I just don't know about the
"heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who... heard it from another".
:willy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope that is the case because that call really soured my mood. My dealer is keeping a close eye on my car as I am his only EOP purchaser, so I hope I hear good news soon.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I always enjoy these "friend of a friend of a friend told me" stories. They turn out to be accurate almost...oh, never!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hmm ... I got some sort of story that sounds vaguely familiar from my dealer the other day. I think that it may be old news and not affecting the ones that have VINs now, but I'm not sure.

OK ... here's the story. I am the only person with a first 1000 car at my dealer. I called him to check the status of my order and see if I had a VIN yet. He said he didn't think so, but he would check again. Then he said something about another car at his dealership that had supposedly been produced but scrapped. I wonder if they possibly had accidentally started with orders outside of the first 1000 and stopped to fix the production order or something like that. At any rate, I got the impression it may not have been those with confirmed VINs ... no concrete info though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcbman said:
Not doubting you radermkj -- But I just don't know about the
"heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who... heard it from another".
:willy:
Not offended - I hesitated putting it out there because of that very fact. My dealer swore it was accurate info. I hoping that the person who responded right after the thread is dead on. If not, it will just be more waiting.

I was wondering if there are any dealers out there who could confirm or deny this. My dealer was very specific in saying that it was the first 86 built out of the 1000, not the test models. He said that there were dealers who were sent emails notifying them of the issue and asking them to resubmit the orders.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Editguy said:
I always enjoy these "friend of a friend of a friend told me" stories. They turn out to be accurate almost...oh, never!

And the internet only makes it worse :lol: I believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet! :yawn:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Actually, it's pretty hard to imagine a problem so serious that they would just scrap them. If that was the case, it would be far more serious than just the 86.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
radermkj said:
Apparently, the first 86 Solstices that were built had some quality issues and have been scrapped.
:glol: :glol:

I love it! A problem soooooooo bad they had to scrap the car. Not even the bumper was salvagable? :lol: The same kind of rumors happened when the 2005 Mustang was coming out. I know it's tempting, but my advise is this.

:lurk:

If you don't, you'll become this. :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Well....

...I suppose they build with VIN sequence #'s 000001 - 000086, and the quality of those cars are not up to standards. You can't just pull the VIN plates and reassign them to new vehicles...

...and you've promised that the VINS will be sequenced, etc. etc...

...the ONLY resort would be to scrap the cars with those VINs before they exist as produced cars, and re-build them... :willy:

...But I doubt this is the case.

Changing the title. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Editguy said:
Actually, it's pretty hard to imagine a problem so serious that they would just scrap them.
Well, that may be the term they use to indicate that the customers won't be getting them. Maybe they were saved for press cars or other non-saleable cars or just not sending them out to the customers (thus scrapped for their purposes).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clemsonjoe said:
And the internet only makes it worse :lol: I believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet! :yawn:
Hey don't shoot the messenger. First off, this has nothing to do with the internet. My dealer had put in a call to his district manager to determine where my order was at, who in turn called the plant to verify. That is the information he was provided.

Second, I put it out there more or less to see if anyone else had heard of this. I don't believe everything I hear and I don't believe most of what I read on the internet.

As for the person who wondered why they would scrap them rather than fix them - I had the same question. I don't get why they would do such a thing, which definitely makes what I heard suspect. Yet, I wanted to know if anyone else had heard of the same issue and to verify it.

I am just as antsy as everyone else and I would hate to see a major delay such as this. So I am praying that what my dealer told is untrue. Again, just thought I would put it out there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
radermkj said:
Hey don't shoot the messenger. First off, this has nothing to do with the internet. My dealer had put in a call to his district manager to determine where my order was at, who in turn called the plant to verify. That is the information he was provided.

Second, I put it out there more or less to see if anyone else had heard of this. I don't believe everything I hear and I don't believe most of what I read on the internet.

As for the person who wondered why they would scrap them rather than fix them - I had the same question. I don't get why they would do such a thing, which definitely makes what I heard suspect. Yet, I wanted to know if anyone else had heard of the same issue and to verify it.

I am just as antsy as everyone else and I would hate to see a major delay such as this. So I am praying that what my dealer told is untrue. Again, just thought I would put it out there.

Chill out, I was kidding. :)

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I can see a problem with salvaging SOME of the parts, i.e. those with VIN numbers attached. Does GM stamp the numbers or do they use labels for less critical items such as fenders, hoods, etc?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
package said:
I can see a problem with salvaging SOME of the parts, i.e. those with VIN numbers attached. Does GM stamp the numbers or do they use labels for less critical items such as fenders, hoods, etc?
To me it just doesn't sound like it could be realistic. 86 cars built with problems so serious that they couldn't be corrected and had to be scrapped? No one caught the problem before 86 made it down the line? If that's the case, this car could be in serious trouble. You would have to seriously question quality control. GM bashers would love it if it was true.
Until I hear it from someone official, like say, GMlinedog, it just seems impossible to me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Don't take it personally radermkj, it's the information people pick apart. You framed the story as hearsay from your dealer, that's all you can do.

Most likely they were early test cars and the story got twisted along the way somewhere.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I was told that the first few(I don't know how many) came off the line and had to be taken apart and run thru the line to be put back together. My dealer's manager confirmed this on friday. But that was three and a half weeks ago, thats probably why they show only producing 22 cars that week.

Zerro/zipper from ct.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts