Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some discussion on the forum about how some would desire paddle shifters as an aftermarket item for our Sols. As far as I know, nothing has ever come of it.

My wife drives a Mercedes E350, with an auto tranny of course. No paddle shifter, but the tranny has the usual P, R, N and D. While in D, you can push the shirt knob to the right in be in D (full 6-speed automatic). But each time you pull it to the left, it drops down one gear and stays in that gear. So, by starting with 6 clicks to the left, flicking it to the right once whenever I want to up shift, it's kinda like a manual one-paddle shifting tranny. When she drives it, it stays in D, but when I drive it, I like to play in the gears, down shifting, just playing and 'being in control'.

So, now and then I wonder what it might be like to swap the 5-speed stick for a 6-speed faux-paddle shifting Mercedes tranny. Who knows, maybe the stock Sol auto tranny has this capability. I don't know. There might be other more easily adapted swaps other than the Mercedes, but I don't that either. But it's kinda fun to think about.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Some Pontiac and Cadillacs of the same era used the same transmission (5 sp auto) with that sport shift function. It is controlled by a switch mechanism on the shifter assy. and the TCM. Should be an easy conversion as parts are all GM.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Didn't one of the forum members successfully install paddle shifters on the stock auto? Seems like it was someone in Japan?

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
6L90E 6-Speed Automatic

The 6L90E is a GM hydramatic transmision with Driver Shift Control (DSC). DSC allows the driver to manually shift gears, similar to a manual transmission. When the shift selector lever is moved to the DSC position, the driver may manually select upshifts or downshifts.

Wade's garage lists this as an option when doing V8 or V6 engine swaps. Not sure if it could be done with the stock 2.4 or 2.0 turbo.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My wifes kia forte has paddle shifters and I got to say its a pretty cool feature, but i have to have a clutch just seems weird without it.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
shifter

My turbo PT has what Chrysler calls an Auto-stick . It has P R N D & AS. You apply brake peddle and pull to AS mode . As long as its in that you just tap shifter from left to right and it does control the RPM's through the gears . If my sol was an auto I would think about that Option , It works easier than having to push the clutch in . Just saying

·
Registered
41 Posts
Qoute

The 6L90E is a GM hydramatic transmision with Driver Shift Control (DSC). DSC allows the driver to manually shift gears, similar to a manual transmission. When the shift selector lever is moved to the DSC position, the driver may manually select upshifts or downshifts.

Wade's garage lists this as an option when doing V8 or V6 engine swaps. Not sure if it could be done with the stock 2.4 or 2.0 turbo.
Asked Wades and autowerks, both said could be done, but would be expensive. $6k to $7k. Guess it would require some custom parts to connect up, and the wiring and programming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts