Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my rear valance to open the grill area, paint it black and add an LED brake light strip which came out nice but now I have fast flash on the turn signals. I've read posts regarding adding resistor(s) to resolve this but not getting an exact way to do this. What size resistor is best? Do I install it inline with the LED strip, the tail light, or both? Any advice is appreciated.

rear valance.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,547 Posts
Did you change the existing stop/turn lamps? Do they still work at full brightness?

How did you wire the LED strip into the circuit? Adding lights should not cause a hyperflash.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Like John said, knowing how you wired the circuit would be helpful. Basically though, this is what you need and how you wire it in. The resistors in the picture are from Amazon but you can buy them at any auto parts retailer. Word of caution: I would not use the red clamp-on connectors shown in the photo. They do not offer a weather tight connection and can actually cut the wire you are attaching them to. Also, they should be attached firmly to some metal portion of the car. They are too heavy, relatively speaking, to hang loosely and they get pretty hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you change the existing stop/turn lamps? Do they still work at full brightness?

How did you wire the LED strip into the circuit? Adding lights should not cause a hyperflash.
I didn't change any lights or bulbs, just added the strip light. I ran the strip light wire under the driver side tail light and wired it into the brake and ground wire in the tial light harness using crimp connectors. I'm going to have to check tonight when it get dark for any differences in brightness (or anything else).

·
Super Moderator
7,547 Posts
Hyperflash occurs when the BCM senses less current that it should in the circuit powering the stop/turn lamps. Current is reduced when a filament fails, and when replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Adding any kind of load to the circuit will not cause hyperflash, since it does not reduce the total current, so it is possible that you damaged the wiring to the existing lights.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I should clarify; the brake lights are not fast flashing, it's the turn signal indicator on the interior fast flashing in the same way as when a brake light is out. I can live with it but would like to resolve it if I can.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Is it just the interior signal indicator that is fast flashing or are the the turn signals themselves fast flashing as well? It sounds like an open circuit somewhere. You probably have already done this but I would first check all the LED wiring connections, If they are OK then try a resistor in parallel with the LED strip.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
OK, clarify further... is the regular turn signal fast flashing as well as the added LEDs, or JUST the added LEDs?

UPDATE: Oh SNAP joybill! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well apparently I didn't pay enough attention and was excited that the LED brake light worked. I now realize that it also flashes with the turn signal which I don't want. I used the yellow wire (on the driver side tail light) indicated as the turn/stop in my schematic. Soooo is there a brake light only wire? And if so, where should I be looking? Thanks for the advice

Turn Signals and Stop Lamps.png

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Soooo is there a brake light only wire? And if so, where should I be looking?
Nope. Sorry. We have one dual filament bulb on each side in the Sol. One filament is low intensity (for running/parking lights) the other is for high intensity (brakes and turns).

Thus, there's only one circuit and it's common for brake and turn lights. (Ditto in the front too.)

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
This is the schematic from the shop manual. Just a guess, but you might try tying into the high center mount light. It is easy to get to (relatively speaking for a sol) and close to your LEDs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,547 Posts
Well apparently I didn't pay enough attention and was excited that the LED brake light worked. I now realize that it also flashes with the turn signal which I don't want. I used the yellow wire (on the driver side tail light) indicated as the turn/stop in my schematic. Soooo is there a brake light only wire? And if so, where should I be looking? Thanks for the advice
The CHMSL is brake only.

Reactions: showtime

·
Super Moderator
7,547 Posts
Nope. Sorry. We have one dual filament bulb on each side in the Sol. One filament is low intensity (for running/parking lights) the other is for high intensity (brakes and turns).

Thus, there's only one circuit and it's common for brake and turn lights. (Ditto in the front too.)
Except that there is no brake light in the front.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using the third brake light is a great idea. Thanks Joybill. Thanks to all for the help. I'll try to get that done tomorrow

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK. I believe everything is solved but not yet corrected. First, I moved the LED wiring to the high center light and that works great, thank you joybill. But I still have the fast flash. Yesterday I came out in the dark to go to work and used my fob and the light went off in my head that said "That's it"! I had the front bumper cover of to paint the grills silver, the bumper cover and replace the arrowhead. It looks like some moron (that would be me) forgot to connect the turn/fog lights up when re-installing the front end parts. Haven't corrected it yet but I'm confidant that is the issue. Thank you to all for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts