Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so please excuse me if this is redundant.

I live in Texas. There is no way possible to live here without an A/C. What do ya'll think it will cost for the air conditioning feature? I didn't know they made cars without them anymore. It's only something i've seen on cars that people race and took it off themselves.

Also, what do they mean by a "manual" convertible top? All i can think of is having to get out of the car, putting some kind of crank in a little hole near the trunk, and having to crank something by hand. I'm pretty sure[and hoping for the sake of the car itself] that this is wrong. I'm used to just pushing a button and holding it in until the car has done it on it's own. Can anyone please explain it to me, or maybe another car that has a "manual" top that i can look up pictures for to get a better idea of.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
For comparison the Saturn ION can be speced out without AC, it costs $960 as an option on that vehicle. However if that car uses a more powerful, more advanced AC system it would cost more then the Solstice. Which is possible since the Solstice has less space to cool, and has manual AC instead of Auto (temp sensing, runs only when needed).

Manual top means it's a top like the Miata for S2000. You have to do the entire process yourself without the aid of power assisted machinery. So you have to undo the latches and put it down, and inversly you have to lift it up and latch it in place. With the Solstice top there are also what we term AFBTS's (butresses off the back of the roof) that then have to be anchored to the trunk for support.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome Moobs. It's such a popular option in some ways it's a hidden cost onto the base price. Gotta have it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A/C is not an issue here in the Frozen Tundra. I think I also speak for my Canadian neighbors across the border in the great white north when I say that we releash every warm day we can get. The top will be down, and the rays flooding in! It got up to 90F here only once last summer. If anything I should be asking if the top is insulated! I will probably save the $900 +- and put it to better use.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ac

PAS22 said:
A/C is not an issue here in the Frozen Tundra. I think I also speak for my Canadian neighbors across the border in the great white north when I say that we releash every warm day we can get. The top will be down, and the rays flooding in! It got up to 90F here only once last summer. If anything I should be asking if the top is insulated! I will probably save the $900 +- and put it to better use.
I can tell you Southern Ontario gets very hot and humid in the summer and AC is a necessity in the middle part of the day .

·
Registered
180 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I can tell you Southern Ontario gets very hot and humid in the summer and AC is a necessity in the middle part of the day .
your a mom's boy if you need a/c in Ontario! :lol: Only put the a/c twice last summer in the house
Put the top down and drive fast :cool:
Or are you sitting in hogtown in traffic :lol:
Get out of the city you do not need a/c

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Never had to even install my window unit last year. Putting air in a roadster is comparable to installing it on a motorcycle. If you want a coupe buy a coupe with a big sun roof and you can pretend you have a roadster.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Until you know how much heat is generated through the firewall and kickplates on a 90 degree day on the Great Lakes - lay off us momma's boys. ;) Think RESALE when (or if) upgrade engine comes along. I'll bet the C6 and XLR comes standard with it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PAS22 said:
Never had to even install my window unit last year. Putting air in a roadster is comparable to installing it on a motorcycle. If you want a coupe buy a coupe with a big sun roof and you can pretend you have a roadster.
It's those days that the top has to be up that i'll be using the AC. i wouldn't be running the AC while the top was down. it's mainly for when it's raining, when a girl doesn't want to mess up her hair(lol), or when i'm too lazy to adjust the top and take it down. it's a little different down in Texas than it is in the frozen tundra. but the top will be down on my solstice plenty. probably more than yours.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, it's the same thing here in Florida. It can torential down pour in the middle of the day while th suns out and stay 95+ F while doing it. 100% humidity in 95+ F weather is just plain torture. Especially when you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic where you max 5mph for 100 feet at a time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Moobs said:
It's those days that the top has to be up that i'll be using the AC. i wouldn't be running the AC while the top was down.
Actually you might. I have driven convertables when it's real hot outside with the top down, and the extra cool breeze from the AC is a nice addition. When it's 110 out, just dropping the top is not going to make it magicaly 85 inside, you're still going to be hot. I can almost guarantee that if you get a roadster with AC, and you live in Texas, you will at one point drop the top and put the AC on. :cool:

·
4,592 Posts
AeroDave said:
Actually you might. I have driven convertables when it's real hot outside with the top down, and the extra cool breeze from the AC is a nice addition. When it's 110 out, just dropping the top is not going to make it magicaly 85 inside, you're still going to be hot. I can almost guarantee that if you get a roadster with AC, and you live in Texas, you will at one point drop the top and put the AC on. :cool:
I've already done this once, and it was great! The desert heat and noon sun was backing us good while tooling around town, about 90F. Realized we had not yet used the AC, kicked it on, felt like an open refigerator on a hot day, sweeeeeet. Don't knock it till you try it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Moobs said:
i wouldn't be running the AC while the top was down.
My Intrigue pushes hot air through the firewall if you don't run the vent. And the vent without the AC on is considerably warmer than outside. So I run the AC even with all the windows down on nice days so my toes don't cook and it doesn't get hot in the car at stop lights when the air isn't moving so fast. It also helps the defogger a lot. So I just never turn it off. I don't think it costs that much to run. One, maybe two or three MPG's.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe i will run the AC with the top down then. we'll try it out and see. i still don't think i'll do it that much since i go almost everywhere with the windows down now and never use the AC when they are down.

·
4,592 Posts
Moobs said:
Maybe i will run the AC with the top down then. we'll try it out and see. i still don't think i'll do it that much since i go almost everywhere with the windows down now and never use the AC when they are down.
didn't you say you live in tx? what's the elevation there? I recall tx suffers form desert heat and insane humidity. maybe you live in a part that has neither? If I lived in tx, I'd use the AC pretty often.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Texas is a HUGE state. it we have deserts, flatlands, hill country, and forests here. it's actually snowing right now in the panhandle and is 43 degrees where i'm at in the dallas area. but being born and raised here(23 years), you get used to it eventually. actually, i think i just don't know anything different. but if it feels as good as some of the users here say it does, i'm sure i will end up doing it also. Top down, AC full blast. i can't wait.

·
Registered
178 Posts
AC is also very useful when you're stuck in rush hour traffic and moving 1 mph. There just isn't a lot of breeze at that speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts